1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

University of Illinois- Chicago

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by samyjay, Aug 18, 2002.

1. samyjay

samyjay Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was wondering if anyone has found out about an interview or rejection from UIC. I sent in my secondary two weeks ago, and my recs are in. Has anyone heard from them?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    heavens, two weeks? give it time, man! most schools take minimum one month to review your secondary. some of them more than 8 weeks. patience, daniel-san.

4. Explosivo

Explosivo blah!
    7+ Year Member

When I applied a couple years ago, UIC took about a month before they got back to me with an interview offer. This is relatively fast compared to most medical schools and you'll learn that most schools may not get back to you for months after your application is complete.

5. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

is UIC as crappy as everyone says?

6. Explosivo

Explosivo blah!
    7+ Year Member

Well I guess that depends on you really. UIC is simply a no frills medical school that requires a real self-starter to be successful in. Basic science years are horrible but if you can study on your own w/o lectures then you shoud be fine since I hear lecture attendance is in 30% range. They have a good note taking service that sort of makes up for this but personally, the greatest benefit I got from notes was actually taking them myself so that I could better recall the information later.

While its certainly not my first choice, I didn't get in so for me, beggars can't be choosers. I'm hoping they accept me this time around and that's all. I'll deal with all the BS and whatnot for four years, and hopefully match into something good. They have a good match list and their board scores are fairly high so its not like they are producing incompetent physicians. In fact, their no nonsense approach may prepare you well for residency by instiling in you strong self-reliance and very good clinical skills.

So basically what I'm saying is that yes, there will be pain, but if you make it through you can probably deal with anything else that comes your way in life including residency.

7. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

well its cheaper than the rest of the IL schools so it will most likley be my first choice.

8. JZZZZZZZs

JZZZZZZZs Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Do you guys know how UIC look upon out-of-staters? (especially those from CA?) I'm contemplating on whether to complete their secondary or not. I listed UIC on the AMCAS as a mistake without realizing that 90% of their class is comprised of IL residents. And from my understanding, they screen secondaries to 1/3 of applicants. I received one. Puzzled????? Anyone care to enlighten? Are there changes to their new admission procedure? :confused:

9. laviddee

laviddee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

no it's still only 10%.

maybe you are in the top third of out of staters.

doing the secondary at uic isn't that bad and it's not as expensive as some of the others. but dang, the out of state tuition is around 40k. are you sure you'd want to to go there???

good luck!

10. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

11. crazyA

crazyA Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

To all the other people applying to UIC out there-

I sent in my stuff a couple of weeks ago as well, and then emailed them to make sure my file was complete. The answer I got indicated that a decision to invite me for an interview would be made in "several weeks time"

BTW, call or email them to make sure your file is complete, as the instructions say, it's YOUR responsibility. One of my friends had some bad experiences there last year, they lost his LORs twice.

I've heard bad stuff about UIC, I have a lot of friends who go there, and no-one really likes it. Though the match rate and board pass rate are decent.