University of Illinois: Questions for Current Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luvgoldens482

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We (people entering in 2014) thought that we would make an Illinois forum for questions that folks have for current students.

Here is my question:
What are weekends like for vet students in terms of clinics and clubs? Would you consider the weekends jam-packed? Is there an opportunity to leave for the weekend and visit family?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in this thread, so...bump.

There are the occasional weekend functions to attend, like spay and neuter clinics in Chicago, dog washes, functions through the local shelters and humane society, etc. Unless you are interested in extracurricular athletics, the weekends are usually free. There is always the mandatory open house weekend for set up and tear down. I have friends that go back to Chicago regularly during the school year, so it depends on what you're into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Truth! Would you recommend for 2014 students to purchase stethoscopes ahead of time? I know 3M came to campus last year for you guys and had a deal with ear tips and stuff, but it seems almost cheaper to buy it from a certified retailer that has a sale?

If you can actually try out what you want to buy before purchase, you can get a stethoscope from practically anywhere. Some styles or brands may feel or sound better for you than others. I got one stethoscope (Cardio III) from the sale and I have one (Sprague type) that I ordered for RAVS trips without trying one out, a couple of years ago. I can definitely tell the difference between the two (Cardio was better for me).

It's not mandatory for you to get a stethoscope from the school sale, but you absolutely need one by the first day of rotations.