Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

University of Indiana

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by dochubert, Apr 30, 2004.

1. dochubert

dochubert Member
    7+ Year Member

I am beginning to look into several different IM programs to apply to for next year and I was wonderng if anyone new how competitive the University of Indiana program is? I am a USIMG with decent board scores and good LOR's. According to the site, it looks like a pretty good program and I was just wondering if anyone might have some additional information, ie average board scores and any other info that you might have heard.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. addicted2hope

addicted2hope Member
    7+ Year Member

Indiana University at Indianapolis? I don't know anything but I am guessing it should be competitive because it is ranked #28 in the latest US News rankings of Internal Medicine departments:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=113401

Though the US News rankings are not good indicators of the quality or ranking of residency programs, I believe they are pretty fair indicators of the competitiveness of the programs.

Hope someone has more beef about IU. :thumbup:

4. Future GI Guy

Future GI Guy Hoo Hoo....
    7+ Year Member

I am actually in this program.

I would encourage you to apply. It was a more competitive class this year, having accepted something like 7 or 8 FMGs, which is a difference from last year.

Still, there are many US IMG's in our program, and everyone fits in nicely.

Its a great program.

5. Svetlana117

Svetlana117 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I agree IU is an excellent program. Had a chance to rotate there...

6. Machiavelli

Machiavelli Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I just finished 4th year at IU (T-8 days and counting to graduation) and I would highly recommend you take a look at it and apply. The IM program has really been rising in reputation in the last few years, mainly because of strong word-of-mouth. I know I felt very happy about both the training and the personalities of the faculty, and with 4 hospitals there is a significant diversity of patient population from rotation to rotation. The only reason I didn't rank IU #1 and match there is because I wanted to live in another state for a few years before I (hopefully) return to Indiana to settle. IU also has a reputation for being IMG-friendly, unlike a few places I interviewed at where IMG's basically didn't bother applying. If you have good board scores, grades and LOR's, you should be able to land an interview and take a look at it for youself.