University of Iowa - Carver College of Medicine - Class of 2013!

Discussion in 'Allopathic Class Threads' started by cheasus, Jan 6, 2009.

1. cheasus

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Congrats to all accepted! Come discuss the school all of us Iowans lucky enough to be in state for.

2. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Im OOS making it very expensive, but I liked the school.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. chaddmso

Medical Student
    I'll be there in the fall. I'm finishing up at Kansas right now and trying to find a place to live in Iowa City that's close to the med center. Any advice?

4. cheasus

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The apartments on lincoln street are very close and reasonably priced. Depends on how close you want to be.

5. RoadRunner17

RoadRunner17 Fleet of feet
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Me too. I'm hoping the financial aid office throws me a bone.

6. Decicco

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi everyone, can't wait to see you all on second look day!!

7. herkyMD

herkyMD Class of 2014
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Amen for living in Iowa. I'm living on valley ave which is a block farther than lincoln ave but still like a 10-min walk to the med school. The apartments are ran by Heritage Property Management (www.hpmic.com). Pretty nice places and not outrageously priced. Pretty standard for IC anyway.

8. RoadRunner17

Hey Herky, did you already interview at Case Western? I feel like I will have a tough time choosing between Iowa and Case.. especially considering that I expect both schools to cost roughly the same.

Am also wondering what the agenda will be like for the GA Weekend... I'm looking at flights to Iowa City and they are still kind of expensive so I was hoping to see what they had planned for us. I may still have to come since it may make a large impact on my final decision..

9. Decicco

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've heard from current med students at iowa that its good to get an apartment on the shuttle route.

10. herkyMD

herkyMD Class of 2014
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yeah, i interviewed at Case the week before thanksgiving. I loved the school and got put on hold. I'm still waiting to hear back, but I'm for sure going to Iowa. With me being in-state, it's too hard to justify paying $20,000+ more a year when Iowa is a great school. I have no idea what the plans are for GA weekend. I haven't decided whether I'm going to go or not yet because I may be taking next year to do my MPH. But I would suggest flying into Moline, IL and then driving to Iowa City. It's about an hour drive and flights to Moline are significantly cheaper than flights to Cedar Rapids.

11. chaddmso

Medical Student
    The ICON pre-m1 communications website is now available. I'm hoping somebody needs a roommate because I'm OOS and trying to find a place on my own would be a headache.

12. DrSteve

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi Gang-

Congrats to all. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard back regarding financial aid and, if so, what the turnaround time was (when they had received the IVF and tax stuff to when you heard back).

Thanks, and hope to see you all this summer.

13. cheasus

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am actually deciding between case, iowa and another school and it is a pretty tough decision. I will wait for financial aid at all three but Im leaning towards case. I don't think I will make it to second look day because I already bought plane tickets for another second look :(

Good luck with your decision.

14. lottaluv

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just received the itinerary for the Get Acquainted Day! I'm definitely be in attendance. Who else is going? Are any of you bringing your parent/s or significant other? Or are most of you going solo? I look forward to seeing you all!:)

15. RoadRunner17

Yeah, these are tough. One day I'll be thinking about Iowa, and the next I'll be thinking about Case. Gah. I don't think the second looks are going to help much, either, especially considering that Iowa's is like 5 days before the deadline.

16. cheasus

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, the financial aid should be released by then so that might help... I think I will go to case or another private school if I get any sort of scholarship/grant... otherwise it will be hard to justify paying more... I definitely feel the same way as you, one day I will be sure I want to go to Case, another day Iowa... maybe we'll end up in the same class :)

17. luvbug77

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone,

Looking forward to meeting you all! :) My boyfriend (also will be attending Iowa Carver) and I are living at Seville Apartments next year. They're right on the bus route, reasonably priced, and newly renovated. It's about a 15-20min walk to class.

18. RoadRunner17

Hrm, ISIS gives me this when I look at FA application status: "Your completed file was reviewed on April 2, 2009 . You should receive award notification in about three weeks from this date. Awards of students in the Colleges of Law and Medicine take longer."

Has anyone gotten their FA offers yet? Did it adhere to the 3 week timeline that they give you? I was hoping to get a FA offer before making a decision whether to sign up to go to the Get Acquainted Day.

Interestingly enough, if I look at Award Notifications, I see "Your file has been reviewed and the Office of Student Financial Aid is processing your award. Check back in a day or two. Awards for students in the Colleges of Law and Medicine will take longer."

Anyone know what the story is here?

19. cheasus

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was complete a while back for my financial aid application. The award will take a while, I wouldn't expect it until late april. If you have any questions, the iowa staff (especially financial aid) is extremely helpful.

20. RoadRunner17

That sounds about right. I've spoken with them in the past and they've been great about helping me figure out what I needed to send in (I never actually got the IVF in the mail until much later! So they gave me the actual link over the phone when I called to ask about that).

BTW, I am sure we met at Case SLW, at Friday night's reception. I think you were with the guy from CA and we were talking about operating MRI machines and playing with them. Does that ring a bell? I definitely know the other guy who is also from Iowa as well.

21. Stewie2008

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My financial aid packet showed up on ISIS on 4/6 under the award summary page. I had all of my information submitted by mid-march. I'm in-state, don't know if that impacts the time it takes to get your award.

22. cheasus

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    wow really? I am in state and I have had my financial information complete since late February and I have not received my financial aid packet. I see something on my award summary page as well, but I don't think I have been awarded anything yet because my award notification page is still unfinished.

23. cheasus

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    wow really? I am in state and I have had my financial information complete since late February and I have not received my financial aid packet. I see something on my award summary page as well, but I don't think I have been awarded anything yet because my award notification page is still unfinished.

24. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Does anyone else think IOWA sends an obscene amount of letters and emails?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  25. Stewie2008

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My award notification shows the cost of attendance and a breakdown of the award information. In other words, it shows the different loans I'm getting---the amount of (un)subsidized, etc. Maybe if you call and ask they'll be able to help. You'll know if you have been 'awarded' if the message about it taking three weeks to receive the award and awards for the college of medicine taking longer disappears, mine showed that message for a couple of weeks, but went away this week when they posted the award information.

#25 Stewie2008, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  26. Stewie2008

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yes, they do seem to send a lot of information. Post acceptance I've received roughly 5 large envelopes. At least they keep us informed unlike some other schools.

27. cheasus

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just received mine yesterday as well. :)

28. RoadRunner17

Me too, got a couple grand Perkins loans, but I'm still dipping heavily into the GradPlus territory. Pretty much about what I expected, but not the most helpful.

29. DMT

DMT

Other Health Professions Student
    Hi everyone,

I am a 22-year-old orthoptic student (it's similar to being a physician's assistant for an opthalmologist) and I'll be starting classes at the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics in August of 2009. I'm looking for a med student roommate (or possibly two?) starting in August.

I'm female, but I really have no preference for a male or a female roommate as long as we get along! :)

Please message me if this is something you're interested in!

-Dimitra