University of Iowa (Carver) vs University of Missouri (Mizzou)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nefarious_Kangaroo

Reaction score
University of Missouri - Columbia (Mizzou)

Pros
  • In state, so Tuition is 36K a year
  • My family and friends are in the area
  • Option to live at home if cost permits, although I want to stay in an apartment for all 4 years
  • Pass/Fail
Cons
  • I've been in Columbia for 10+ years
  • Less prestigious
  • Unsure of how matching will be due to Step 1 being pass/fail

University of Iowa - Carver College of Medicine

Pros
  • More prestige
  • New city to explore
  • Lots of opportunities in terms of extracurriculars and mentorships
  • Better hospital network
Cons
  • Out of State, Tuition is 58K a year
  • Honor/Near Pass/Pass/Fail grading, although I've heard most students don't mind it
Summary: I feel as if Iowa would be better if I want to go for a more competitive specialty, which is definitely something I'm open to. However, I'm unsure if it's worth an extra 22K a year (without including interest and optionally living at home). I could defer a year and see if I could become an Iowa resident, but I'd prefer to not take another gap year.

Members don't see this ad.

Iowa is a great T40 school, but you’d be surprised. Mizzou’s match list this year actually looks very similar to Iowa’s (Iowa actually had more preliminaries). Iowa’s name alone won’t get you into a competitive specialty. You will have to work your tail off regardless of which school you choose, and step 1’s importance will be shifted to step 2. With all that said, Mizzou has the money and family factors, so I would probably choose them.

Mizzou is a better pick because the small jump in prestige you'll get isnt enough to justify the 80k+ more you'd have to pay to go to Iowa. Plus, graded preclinicals is actually quite a bit more stress than you'd think.