University of Iowa College of Pharmacy Class of 2017 Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurepharm425

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! This thread is for anyone who is applying to the University of Iowa College of Pharmacy for Fall 2013 admission! Share your experience, keep us posted with application progress, interviews, and acceptances! Best of luck to everyone :]

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I applied to Univ. of Iowa Pharmacy. I received a email saying they have reviewed my application and it looks good, but that is about it. I mailed in my supplemental few days ago.

Yeah, I got an email too. Who was your email from? I was really confused by the email that I received it seemed personal, but I assumed it wasn't.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was from the dean of admissions...I felt it was personal too haha. I guess it cannot be bad news haha.

Yeah, I got an email too. Who was your email from? I was really confused by the email that I received it seemed personal, but I assumed it wasn't.

Haha that's true. It sucks that we won't here anything for months still. I wish they were on a rolling admissions system.

Hey everybody! I'm a current P1 at the school so feel free to message me if you have any questions about the whole process. I'd be more than happy to help out :)

I read somewhere that Iowa does not have rolling admissions and all applicants are considered equally. I can't seem to find that anymore.

Iowa does not have rolling admissions. As long as you meet the deadline, your application will be considered. Turning your application in early never hurts though. PharmCAS takes a long ass time to process everything.

Best of luck to everyone applying! I have never set foot on campus before since I am from the east coast and attend school in Boston but can anyone tell me a little bit about the University of Iowa's campus, things to do in the area, and just any other helpful information about the school itself?

My stats are:

Major: Anticipating B.S. in Biology
GPA: 3.5
PCAT: 85%

Thanks!

Best of luck to everyone applying! I have never set foot on campus before since I am from the east coast and attend school in Boston but can anyone tell me a little bit about the University of Iowa's campus, things to do in the area, and just any other helpful information about the school itself?

I would also be interested in hearing from any Iowa students who might see this... What do you like about the school? Or, as the case may be, what don't you like?

I would also be interested in hearing from any Iowa students who might see this... What do you like about the school? Or, as the case may be, what don't you like?

Hey guys I am actually a University of Iowa undergraduate student. I absolutely love the east campus. The campus is split up into two banks divided by the river. The west bank and the east bank. The east bank is where I predominantly am, and that's where the majority of the undergraduate programs are. The west bank is where you find the hospital and the majority of the Graduate programs (including the Pharmacy school). The east bank is considered downtown Iowa City and is where the bar scene is (which for a smaller town is really cool and crowded) and where you find all the little boutiques, restaurants and amazing little frozen yogurt shops. Everything you could need is located right there in the pedmall, and during the day it's beautiful and family oriented with a playground, fountain, and small mom and pop stores. Then at night it switches to a great party scene. I personally love it, it's the perfect balance between calm and crazy. However, the Pharmacy school is on the west bank, and more than likely that is where you would live if you went there. I am applying to school there, but I haven't decided yet if living on the west bank is for me yet. It's more suburban and just not the great balance the other side of the river is. Don't get me wrong the two sides are maybe 10 minutes apart, 3 if you're on a bus. I am just more of the type of person who likes to be in the middle of everything.

Basically what I tell anyone who asks me is you have to come and see it for yourself. It is a really beautiful place and I have really enjoyed my 4 years here.

Sorry this was super long I hope it helps a little bit at least.

Oh and I can't really say much about the Pharmacy school itself because I've only ever been in it for like a minute. Looked pretty standard though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I am actually a University of Iowa undergraduate student. I absolutely love the east campus. The campus is split up into two banks divided by the river. The west bank and the east bank. The east bank is where I predominantly am, and that's where the majority of the undergraduate programs are. The west bank is where you find the hospital and the majority of the Graduate programs (including the Pharmacy school). The east bank is considered downtown Iowa City and is where the bar scene is (which for a smaller town is really cool and crowded) and where you find all the little boutiques, restaurants and amazing little frozen yogurt shops. Everything you could need is located right there in the pedmall, and during the day it's beautiful and family oriented with a playground, fountain, and small mom and pop stores. Then at night it switches to a great party scene. I personally love it, it's the perfect balance between calm and crazy. However, the Pharmacy school is on the west bank, and more than likely that is where you would live if you went there. I am applying to school there, but I haven't decided yet if living on the west bank is for me yet. It's more suburban and just not the great balance the other side of the river is. Don't get me wrong the two sides are maybe 10 minutes apart, 3 if you're on a bus. I am just more of the type of person who likes to be in the middle of everything.

Basically what I tell anyone who asks me is you have to come and see it for yourself. It is a really beautiful place and I have really enjoyed my 4 years here.

Sorry this was super long I hope it helps a little bit at least.

Thanks for the response!

I would also still be interested in hearing from any Iowa pharmacy students who could comment on what they think of the pharmacy school in particular :)

Just e-submitted and mailed in Supplemental. Anyone get interviews yet?

Does anybody know how the $10,000 a year scholarship works? As an out of state student I just don't really understand the details so any help would be appreciated.

Also does anybody know when we start to hear back with regards to interviews?

Thanks and good luck with the application process!

I mailed in my supplemental (along with the $100 check) around mid-October and I got the email confirming the receipt.. but I checked my bank account today and they still haven't cashed out my supplemental fee. Is this normal?

I mailed in my supplemental (along with the $100 check) around mid-October and I got the email confirming the receipt.. but I checked my bank account today and they still haven't cashed out my supplemental fee. Is this normal?

Yea I'm i sent it mid November but they still haven't cashed in my check as well

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

That scholarship is awarded to students entering the program with a 3.5 GPA or higher (I think it actually is a 3.4 these days). The scholarship is automatically entered into your financial aid awards packet once you have officially accepted your admissions offer. (Don't expect any notice of the scholarship showing up until late April or May on your profile).

As for interviews, some people have heard around the holidays but a good majority of everyone receive their interview offer in January and some in February. I'll be giving out tours and will be a part of the informal meet'n'greet session in January and February.

If any you have questions, feel free to send a message. Best of luck to everyone!

How long does it take for them to contact you with supplemental?

Maybe a week?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

Wow already? When did you submit your app? Did they email you? I hope i get one too

I want to say I mailed my supplemental late october. I was confirmed by email around mid November.

Last edited:
Mm nice. What were your stats

:-( rejection

I have a
3.70 gpa
Pcat 85

No clubs, because I've had to support myself throughout college. So I have a ton of work experience.

Also a lil under a year of pharmacy experience and volunteering.

Sorry to hear about your rejection but there's plenty of schools out there!

Nice stats. My GPA is barely above minimum I guess that's why

I got an interview invite yesterday too! I sent my supplemental app on Dec 3rd and they sent me an invite yesterday! I wonder what the chances are in actually getting in after getting an interview. If I did my math correctly its a 14% chance ;(

I am out of state as well. I'm from California so I guess we have about a 32% chance of getting in. ;(

Hey so do you live on campus? And do you enjoy this campus? Also what are the chances of getting in once you've gotten an interview?

For those of you with interview invites, did you receive a phone call or email invitation? Thanks for letting me know, I am curious and anxious! :xf:

i got an interview invite too!! is anyone going from illinois and wants to possibly carpool or something?

I also got an interview invite.

It came via email, I think they all should.

For those of you that received an email from the dean of admissions, did you reply? Also, how long from receipt of that email did it take for an interview invite? I hate the waiting game! LOL, sorry for so many questions, and thank you for the reply in advanced. :)

For those of you that received an email from the dean of admissions, did you reply? Also, how long from receipt of that email did it take for an interview invite? I hate the waiting game! LOL, sorry for so many questions, and thank you for the reply in advanced. :)

Yes I replied to the deans email and a day later I got an email for an interview. Good luck and sorry for the late reply I've been busy for the holidays. :luck::xf::)

I received an interview invite via email on Dec. 20 from Dean Kelly. He said interviews will be held on January 26, February 2 and February 16, but I haven't heard back about my finalized interview date yet (hopefully because of the holidays and not because they forgot about me haha).

I'm out of state, too! :\

For those of you that received invites to interview, are you all out-of-state? I am just curious if they have certain interview dates for in-state and out-of-state applicants? Also, those that got an interview, how early did you apply?

Last edited:
Did anyone else get this email? Just got it today.

Mr. xxx

I have reviewed your application and I am pleased that you are interested in the University of Iowa College of pharmacy.

You have put together an excellent application.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions. We will be offering interview invitations in the next few weeks and I hope to speak with you again.

Michael W. Kelly

Associate Dean for Professional Education

University of Iowa

College of Pharmacy

I am out of state as well, and received the same interview date options. I picked the 26th! Anyone else interviewing this day? My pharmcas app was mailed 12/3, and I submitted my supplemental the end of November. I am excited and nervous!

Just got an interview invite! Probably selecting one in February!

I saw some of you were interviewing on the 26th, hopefully i'll meet some of you there. Are you going at 12:00 or 5:00. If I remember correctly 5:00 was one of the options, but I'm interviewing around noon. Does anyone know what you write about on the essays and how heavily they are weighed into their decision? Also, does anyone know how long it takes to recieve your decision? I've heard it can take a few weeks but others said it wasn't rolling admissions. I'm out of state, so I'm hoping I'm one of the lucky ones who get in. If anyone got accepted yet, do you mind posting your stats?