University of Iowa interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicki29

nicki29
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a new SDNer. This is in fact my first post. I have an interview at U of Iowa in early Dec. For those who have already interviewed there any words of advise. I see that Ashanti Rock, gdbaby are among those who have already slain the dragon. Any words of wisdom ? and congratulations you guys are awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

Not heard from any SDNers who have interviewed in Iowa city. This is probably a bad time to post because of the holidays. Any helpful advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

I interviewed the beginning of october. The first part of the interview is structured and the interviewers are not allowed to give feedback.. there are 12 questions that could be asked. these are all found here
The rest of the interview is up to you and the interviewers. They asked me follow-up questions about my answers to previous questions and we chatted about hiking and stuff. After 25 minutes the secretary knocks on the door and you have to stop. Its not bad at all. I dont really have any advice for you because the whole process is very laid back. If you have more questions, i know this topic has been discussed multiple times about iowa. Do a search with the search function on the blue bar above.
Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
laboholic said:
I interviewed the beginning of october. The first part of the interview is structured and the interviewers are not allowed to give feedback.. there are 12 questions that could be asked. these are all found here
The rest of the interview is up to you and the interviewers. They asked me follow-up questions about my answers to previous questions and we chatted about hiking and stuff. After 25 minutes the secretary knocks on the door and you have to stop. Its not bad at all. I dont really have any advice for you because the whole process is very laid back. If you have more questions, i know this topic has been discussed multiple times about iowa. Do a search with the search function on the blue bar above.
Good Luck!
Thanx for your reply. Greatly appreciated. I have looked at the interview feedback site in the past. Was there anything you wish you had known beforehand? If you could interview again what would you change if anything? Those are the kinds of things I am looking for. Again thanx

I am from Iowa City so I knew a lot about the school before I interviewed. If you are from out of state, you will probably be surprised on how nice Iowa City is and how exceptional the college of medicine. Be prepared to make Iowa your top choice after you visit :)

You might want to know something about the college.. such as these:
How much money Iowa gets from the NIH for research every year (a lot)
How many students pass their boards (all i think)
How good the match list is (um, great)
Can you do cool stuff like go to Uganda for your clinical rotations (of course)
What kind of interactions do you get with the other classes (a bunch, read about the CELLS)

Cathy will do a little presentation at the beginning and will ask these questions. if you know the answers she will be impressed.

Also, be prepared to wait a little while for your interview. there are 4 sections. If you are the fourth, you have to wait 2 hours. Take something to read.

Only 2 bad things. They dont validate parking so expect to spend 4-5 bucks to park in the ramp for the day. Also, It is cold in iowa during the winter. Bring a coat.

laboholic said:
What kind of interactions do you get with the other classes (a bunch, read about the CELLS)

:laugh: This just made me laugh because I have only heard the term CELLS used one time the whole time I was here (I'm an M4).

But seriously, I agree with everything you said and Iowa is a great place. I am glad you liked it. And you do get a lot of interaction with other classes. ;)

laboholic said:
I am from Iowa City so I knew a lot about the school before I interviewed. If you are from out of state, you will probably be surprised on how nice Iowa City is and how exceptional the college of medicine. Be prepared to make Iowa your top choice after you visit :)

You might want to know something about the college.. such as these:
How much money Iowa gets from the NIH for research every year (a lot)
How many students pass their boards (all i think)
How good the match list is (um, great)
Can you do cool stuff like go to Uganda for your clinical rotations (of course)

Cathy will do a little presentation at the beginning and will ask these questions. if you know the answers she will be impressed.

Also, be prepared to wait a little while for your interview. there are 4 sections. If you are the fourth, you have to wait 2 hours. Take something to read.

Only 2 bad things. They dont validate parking so expect to spend 4-5 bucks to park in the ramp for the day. Also, It is cold in iowa during the winter. Bring a coat.
Thanks for the useful advice. Does Cathy ask questions about the things you mentioned or would speaking up make you look like a "know it all". I have not interviewed before and could use any help especially specific to Iowa.

I am getting so excited with you enthusiam. I want in already!!!

Cathy will ask the group what things make iowa a good school and will write them on the board.. I would say that giving one or two examples would be a good thing. that shows that you at least know something about the school, plus she might remember your name after that. :thumbup:

I am bumping up this thread. I realize there were a number of people away for thanksgiving. I need some help. I have an interview coming up at U of Iowa. This is definately my first choice. Any words of advice from seasoned veterans. I have already scoured the interview feedback site. Any words of advice that is not covered in the feedback site? Your words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated..You guys are awesome. It is so refreshing to see people working as a team.

nicki29 said:
I am bumping up this thread. I realize there were a number of people away for thanksgiving. I need some help. I have an interview coming up at U of Iowa. This is definately my first choice. Any words of advice from seasoned veterans. I have already scoured the interview feedback site. Any words of advice that is not covered in the feedback site? Your words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated..You guys are awesome. It is so refreshing to see people working as a team.
Well, if you want to know how to be a bad ass like me, that's gonna be tough, but I can pass along what I did. And I even came in late to the start of the comments by Cathy--that's how bad ass I am:
1. Don't get there late. The group room is small and you will get a bad seat.
2. The first part of the interview is weird: write down all of the potential 12 questions and rehearse them so that you have nice conclusions to your questions. If you don't you may feel the need to do some jazz hands or a soft shoe number to signal the end of your response. Never good.
3. In the open part of the interview, try to find some subtle ways to bring up why you want to be at Iowa. Make them personal if you can. I was able to tell them that I was married in Iowa City, I come back there each year for Christmas, went there for my first two years of undergrad, etc. (all stuff I put on the 'Why Iowa?' question on the secondary).
4. After your interview you meet with the Admissions coordinator for any additional questions you may have. Have some. Sound interested. I told her I was interested in Geriatrics and her eyes perked up and said that The Center on Aging gave her a directive to actively recruit students interested in aging.
5. Chat up with the other interviewees, if they are friendly. We were havign a good ole time when I was in there and it just shows that you get along well with people and can blend into a class.

If you want more specifics, feel free to PM me. I loved that school and I can talk forever about it.

Crap, I forgot the most important part: good luck!!

nicki29 said:
I am a new SDNer. This is in fact my first post. I have an interview at U of Iowa in early Dec. For those who have already interviewed there any words of advise. I see that Ashanti Rock, gdbaby are among those who have already slain the dragon. Any words of wisdom ? and congratulations you guys are awesome.

Hey Nicki,

Didn't check SDN last night so sorry for not getting back to you sooner. The day is fairly short...doesn't start till 11am, mine ended at 4pm becuase my interview was not till 3pm, but some interviewed at 1:30 and left sooner. All the people that I interviewed with that day were realy cool, the most nerve wrecking part was waiting to be called for your interview. Which in my case was quite long compared to others...people are super nervous during this time and try to psych you out, don't get cuaght up in that! The whole time I kept conversating just so there wouldn't be silence and nervousness. The actual interview I thought went really well. The standardized questions are not as bad as everyone makes it seem. They write down stuff when you're talking, don't let that get to you, just stay focused and also remember that this is a dialouge, so pause, make eye contact and smile. I walked in there smiling and left the same way and my intyerviewers noticed it and even comented on that. The standard qustions have already been posted, they will ask you four, and as in my case go back later and ask some more. Also have questions prepared to ask them...at least two. Just remember that these people have not seen your file nor will they ever, so it is up to you to paint the best portrait of yourself! You're going to do great! Just relax and beleive that success has already been attained by making it thus far! Best of luck and I'll look for you on the wall of fame!!!!!

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have an interview there in 2 weeks and all of this has really helped. Iowa sounds like a great school and I really hope they accept me.

I'll be there on Monday. Wish me luck! :D

Any SDNers going to be joining me?

Good luck SailCrazy, hope you love it as much as I did because I'd love to see you there!

gdbaby said:
Good luck SailCrazy, hope you love it as much as I did because I'd love to see you there!
I think I did! :love: What a great school, a great college town, and a very well run interview day. Unfortunately they said we wouldn't be reviewed in the adcom meeting yesterday, so we'll have to wait until January for any (potential) good news. :oops:

Thought about applying to Iowa, but since they rejected me the day after the cashed my check last year, I figured they probably still wouldn't like me. :laugh:

SailCrazy said:
I think I did! :love: What a great school, a great college town, and a very well run interview day. Unfortunately they said we wouldn't be reviewed in the adcom meeting yesterday, so we'll have to wait until January for any (potential) good news. :oops:

Sailcrazy- if given the choice, which would you pick - Iowa or Mich

Until I'm lucky enough to get in, I'm not going to give that a concise answer! :laugh:
But I won't leave you hanging either... :idea:

Short answer: Michigan was my top choice when this process started, and it would take a pretty incredible school to lure me somewhere else.

Longer answer: I had a pretty incredible time in Iowa! :D If I'm lucky enough to get in. I will definitely take a long, hard look at both schools. :thumbup:

Let's put it this way: if UofM weren't in the running, Iowa would absolutely be my clear-cut #1 choice at this point, no where else has been close. Just like in the old days of Big Ten football, I'm looking at the big two, little eight. (Yes I know that was UofM and OSU in football, and now it would be big 2 little 9, but give me a little poetic license...!)

Here's what I liked about Iowa:
The CELLS (though I've heard that no one actually calls them that.) It isn't that I want my med school set up like Hogwarts, :p I really like the idea of the cross-year, M1-M4 social and academic interaction that it would foster.

The people are great: friendly in a midwestern, unassuming way, but also very capable. I thought the admissions office did a great job, and I really liked the students and faculty that I met.

The facilities are great. I have a hard time believing that anyone has newer/better facilities than those I saw at Iowa.

Iowa City. What a great college town. I'd heard a lot of good things before I went there, and they absolutely were inadequate in describing the atmosphere. Incidentally, my cousin played football at Iowa, so after my interview I went over to the football office to track down some old team photos. I ended up talking to one of their coaches for a while. After learning that it was my first trip to Iowa City, he asked me not to let the secret out on what a great place it is so that it won't get too popular and change too much! ;)

Good mix of traditional and nontraditional students.

I like the midwest and midwestern weather, so those fall in the plus column for me too.

Bottom line: I felt that it was a place I could be very happy and successful. (One of my interviewers said as much as well.) :thumbup:

Potential drawbacks:
Cost. If I'm lucky enough to be choosing between the two, unless Iowa decides to show me more financial aid love (entirely possible) I'd be looking at in-state vs. out-of-state tuition.

Reputation/expectation. An example that was given (twice) of Iowa students doing great things was a girl who is at Michigan for residency. I got the impression that they view themselves as pretty darn good, but not quite even with Michigan.

Parting thoughts:
I know that some of the Iowa admissions folks read SDN. If you made it this far & know who I am: Show me some love!!! :love: I'd love to be a hawk!