University of Iowa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MatchingGas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping that someone would comment on the University of Iowa. I was really impressed with the program, specifically how happy all of the residents seemed. I am currently considering it near (or at) the top of my rank list, but aside from my interview, I have never been in or near Iowa before in my life (from the West and living in Texas). Can anyone comment on the quality of the program, the hours and whether or not Iowa is a decent place to live (married w/2 young kids)?

Members don't see this ad.

I have only heard from many people that Iowa City is a great place to live. Surgeons I know say they would love to live there if they could find work, i.e. if there were room for another XYZ surgeon.

As to the anesthesia department. It's incredibly deep. I expect it would be one of the very best choices overall, moreover for the family man.

I was hoping that someone would comment on the University of Iowa. I was really impressed with the program, specifically how happy all of the residents seemed. I am currently considering it near (or at) the top of my rank list, but aside from my interview, I have never been in or near Iowa before in my life (from the West and living in Texas). Can anyone comment on the quality of the program, the hours and whether or not Iowa is a decent place to live (married w/2 young kids)?

You really can't find a better place for a family in terms of cost of living and the quality of training. See the recent mayo v Iowa thread for my lengthy reply re Iowa. Feel free to pm me also, I'm currently a CA2.