PhD/PsyD University of Kansas Clinical Psychology PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroPsychosis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Psych Community,

What are your thoughts about this program, I interviewed here and was wondering if anyone has any objection to their quality of training, rates, etc.. Adult track, AD research.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a top notch program. I trained with a couple of their graduates and know a couple of their faculty from prior research and prof. org stuff. You would get a good mix of stats, research, & clinical training. Someone from my intern cohort trained there and had good things to say about the student counseling clinic, KU Med, and the available advanced stats mentorship. While a lot of their students like to stay in the area/midwest after training, they are competitive nationally too.

Dr. Stephen Ilardi is great. He runs a depression lab (I think out of the counseling center); he's a solid lecturer too. He wrote a bestseller years ago about applying best practices for the treatment of depression (e.g. exercise, light box, nutrition, etc).

Dr. Rick Ingram has been there forever and I think he is still the DCT. He genuinely cares about his trainees and represents a great blend of clinical & research expertise. I wish my DCT was as engaged and supportive as Rick is with his students and faculty.

Dr. Monica Kurylo is a solid neurorehab faculty. I know her mostly from presentations and some psych rehab stuff. Not sure if she takes students, but a good source if you have interest in rehab psych.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree! Everyone I have met from there has been lovely and quite competent. KU also has a ton of connections in the area and nationally and their students are well-regarded when they seek opportunities for prac, internship, and postdoc. They have a lot of great options on-site too. Many of the local hospitals refer their more complicated patients there.

I have interacted with some of the faculty and all of the ones I met were incredibly nice. I have heard the supervision is great too. If you're at all interested in onco-psych, the faculty is warm and wonderful. I have also heard good things about their gender affirming care. Lots of opportunities to learn about cool stuff in the field.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! The PI I interviewed with was indeed lovely and the interview (prelim) went smooth (we went past the time). Their clinical program seemed to be very closely connected with their medical center for someone like me interested in neurorehab/neuropsych.

Dear Psych Community,

What are your thoughts about this program, I interviewed here and was wondering if anyone has any objection to their quality of training, rates, etc.. Adult track, AD research.

Thank you in advance!
good program. Know many folks very closely there (as students in the past, as faculty now who went there, and Current faculty). LFK is fun

Last edited:
I know some VERY impressive people who went there, including two of my former mentors!

Reactions: 3 users
They produced Courage the Cowardly Dog, Superman, and the band Kansas.

And, like a lot of flyover states, probably a lot of meth.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks! The PI I interviewed with was indeed lovely and the interview (prelim) went smooth (we went past the time). Their clinical program seemed to be very closely connected with their medical center for someone like me interested in neurorehab/neuropsych.
I interviewed at this program 6 years ago and was very impressed with the work they are doing and, likely, their strong connection with the KUMC in Kansas City. The only downside, IMO, is the "long" commute from the university to downtown Kansas City for practicum, but TBH I was commuting the same time, but shorter distance, to pracs in the large city where my program was based.

Good luck! Happy to chat about this or other neuro programs if you want the perspective of a current student (intern) who is not yet too far removed from the process.

I interviewed at this program 6 years ago and was very impressed with the work they are doing and, likely, their strong connection with the KUMC in Kansas City. The only downside, IMO, is the "long" commute from the university to downtown Kansas City for practicum, but TBH I was commuting the same time, but shorter distance, to pracs in the large city where my program was based.

Good luck! Happy to chat about this or other neuro programs if you want the perspective of a current student (intern) who is not yet too far removed from the process.
Thank you! yeah I was wondering the same about the commute between Lawrence and KUMC, I didn't find any information about possible shuttles between the two campuses. Considering the health track, I potentially will have to spend two years in practicum at KUMC.

I did my internship at KUMC. I enjoyed it and learned a lot. I don't recall much about the students' perceptions, but they seemed happy.

It's so weird to see one of these threads about a program that's actually good.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I'm sure we'll get another thread soon enough with someone asking if it's worth it to build a Delorean with a Mr. Fusion so they can attend an Argosy program.

As long as you don't rip off a bunch of Libyan terrorists in the process.

• Haha
While the program appears to have a good reputation and track record, a few things to keep in mind:
1. KU has been squeezed for funds in recent years. The state has been squeezing all the state universities including KU. Hopefully, that has not affected their student funding but keep that in mind.
2. The clinical program is looking for a new DCT (ad went out sometime this hiring cycle). That is just another aspect to keep an eye out.

Reactions: 1 users
Very good, balanced Boulder model program. If you’re offered admission, it will be a solid choice.
Even though they specify they are a clinical science program? they state that, however when I interviewed with them they seemed a bit flexible and students can choose to be more research focused or clinical focused.

I haven’t had direct contact with grads from the program in recent years, but they used to have a balanced program. If they now state they are a clinical science program, I would definitely inquire about that and what the clinical training opportunities are at present.

Even though they specify they are a clinical science program? they state that, however when I interviewed with them they seemed a bit flexible and students can choose to be more research focused or clinical focused.
There are 4 APA-acres PhD psych programs at KU, so there could be some differences btw Clinical, Child Psych, School, & Counseling.

I got selected as an "alternate" for this program. PI notified me that I am among the finalist applicants (top 5) and so they were unable to offer me an interview day spot "at this time". Also mentioned to me in the email that it's common people turn down offers and that they'd move down to the alternate. Only 3 were selected to attend the interview day.. does anyone have any information on what the chances may be for me with this school? This is my top choice :/

I got selected as an "alternate" for this program. PI notified me that I am among the finalist applicants (top 5) and so they were unable to offer me an interview day spot "at this time". Also mentioned to me in the email that it's common people turn down offers and that they'd move down to the alternate. Only 3 were selected to attend the interview day.. does anyone have any information on what the chances may be for me with this school? This is my top choice :/

Don't fret over chances/odds/etc. It's so variable that it's meaningless. It's wholly on those in the very top accepting or declining offers. Varies every year, most programs have some of each year by year, and there is no great way of predicting who will or will not accept an offer.

Reactions: 2 users