university of kansas interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phleebie

$26 in my hand.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
could anybody who has already interviewed at KU tell me what their interview day is like? what was the itinerary, and how long did the entire process take? i've heard that their interviews are pretty laid back, but any additional input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

a pathetic bump for my own thread

phleebie said:
a pathetic bump for my own thread

I'll send you something! Check your PM box. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I would like info too. But I haven't heard about an interview yet (out of stater, recently complete).

Hey guys/gals,

If any of you can pass some info to me also, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,

MedMonkey

hey future jay-doc's,

The interview day at KU is pretty laid back, although a bit long. Last year, there were two interview groups per interview day, meaning that one group began the day pretty early (8:00 AM, i think), while the other group showed up at like 11:00 or so. I was in the early group, so our day started out w/ the typical donuts/coffee and introduction with the dean of admissions who gave the details of the day (including when your 2 interviews are). Right afterwards, the interviews began for us. For us, there were 2 interviews.....a 1-on-1 and then a 2-1. The 2-1 interview, as you've probably read on the interview feedback, is usually with a faculty member and a 4th year student.....the 1-1 on is with a faculty member who will eventually present you to the board of admissions (the other interviewers won't present you, but they'll provide the main interviewer notes, etc). So, once the morning crew ends their interviews, the other interview group will come around (at 11 ish), and then both groups get presentations about financial aid, curriculum, yadda yadda yadda. Next comes lunch (the best part of the day of course), and then the afternoon group begins their interviews.........while they interview, the morning group will have a campus tour (optional), followed by some other stuff (like student panels or something......i don't know b/c I skipped out).

So, as you can see, it is a rather long day. None the less, its a very laid back process.....my main suggestion to you all is to talk to your fellow applicants while you wait. That time can be kinda stressful (especially if this is your first interview), so yappin' it up with your future colleagues will help chill you out.

If you guys have any questions about life at KU med, feel free to send me a PM. By the way, I'll be around for some of the interview days, so there's a good chance you'll see me mooching off the free food and getting us all lost on the tours.

:horns: felipe

Interviews at KU are pretty low key. I pm'ed a fellow sdn'er not long ago with a pretty comprehensive summary of my interview day. I'll try to get her to post it here.

Evajaclynn, if you read this could you post a copy of the pm I sent you a couple days ago?

Thanks for the info felipe5. Sound nice and low key.

stoic said:
Interviews at KU are pretty low key. I pm'ed a fellow sdn'er not long ago with a pretty comprehensive summary of my interview day. I'll try to get her to post it here.

Evajaclynn, if you read this could you post a copy of the pm I sent you a couple days ago?

I PM'd it to Phleebie, but I'll post it here tomorrow, since I have your permission! :)

(This is evajaclynn!)

KitesurfDaEarth said:
I PM'd it to Phleebie, but I'll post it here tomorrow, since I have your permission! :)

(This is evajaclynn!)

Thanks a lot!

Good luck to all of you KU interviewees. I had heard back things about the KU interview process, but my experience there was truly great. Everyone was super nice and the atmosphere was very information.

Jaydocs 2009 represent!

don't listen to felipe5. lunch sucks. but he's right on for the rest of the day. i thought it was pretty laid back. don't stress. pm me if you have any questions or want to grab a beer to unwind and chat after the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
better yet, hit me up if you want to have a few beers BEFORE your interview. Trust me, a nice buzz will set you up for a successful interview, especially if they drop the ethical bomb

run while you still can.

Sounds like I should bring my own case of beer for the day.

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice and information.

This is what Stoic PM'd me the other day. Hope it helps. Felipe had some great advice as well - and don't worry Felipe, we'll go out for beers after my interview. =)

From Stoic:

"My interview at KU was a great experience, however, I think it may have been a little atypical. I interviewed with the early decision group and there are a couple of differences that may or may not be important. First of all, our interviews were short. We were at the school for only about three hours and didn't get lunch. More importantly, the faculty really stressed how low key the early decision interviews were compared to regular decision.

About everyone I knew got "tell me about yourself" as a question. I answered by talking about what I consider my most important personality traits and how those traits guided me on a path towards medicine. I talked a little about my interest outside of medicine as well.

I was not asked any ethical questions, but many friends I interviewed with were. Basically be ready to express your opinion and then defend it, because generally they will try to take the opposite position.

I (and everyone I know) was asked to talk about major problems facing health care and ideas about how to fix them. I mentioned the increasing utilzation of technology, the associated increased cost, and how that played into diminishing access to health care. I also talked about finding ways to get people to be more proactive with their health.

All in all, the experience was very low stress and actually enjoyable. The interviewers seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me and it made the atmosphere for discussion great.

I prepared by reviewing my amcas application, reading interview reviews here on sdn and making sure I was up to date on most of the issues facing health care (insurance, access, etc).

A note about the structure of the interviews:
You will have two interviews. The first will be one on one, open file with either a PhD or MD who teaches at the school. This interview is the most "high stress." The second will be 2 on one with a PhD or MD and a med student. This interview is closed file (they only get your personal statement... no academic info) and extremely laid back."

So in general, how large or how many people are in the interview groups?

medmonkey said:
So in general, how large or how many people are in the interview groups?

The interviews themselves are one-on-one, but if you're asking about how many people are there to be interviewed on the day, I'm not sure. Stoic or Felipe, any advice?

evajaclynn said:
The interviews themselves are one-on-one, but if you're asking about how many people are there to be interviewed on the day, I'm not sure. Stoic or Felipe, any advice?

My group was small; only 8 people. But I don't know if this is typical for regular decision interviews as well.

When's your interview, evajaclynn? It's coming up, right?

stoic said:
My group was small; only 8 people. But I don't know if this is typical for regular decision interviews as well.

When's your interview, evajaclynn? It's coming up, right?

next Tuesday (11/2) :thumbup:

I would expect the non-EDP interview groups to be a bit larger. I remember a good amount of people in my both interview groups on my day. By the way peeps, I'll probably be at lunch on Monday and Tuesday

Ps--- Yo Evajaclynn, tell your bf that we should hit up the blue koi tomorrow evening b/c tonight I have to work at Jaydoc :horns:

felipe5 said:
I would expect the non-EDP interview groups to be a bit larger. I remember a good amount of people in my both interview groups on my day. By the way peeps, I'll probably be at lunch on Monday and Tuesday

Ps--- Yo Evajaclynn, tell your bf that we should hit up the blue koi tomorrow evening b/c tonight I have to work at Jaydoc :horns:

He suggested the same thing - you guys and the blue koi! :rolleyes: alright - sounds like a plan!

Thanks for the info guys.