University of Kansas vs. Texas Tech - El Paso (PLFSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpaw3

Reaction score
Sorry in advance for the lengthy post, but I feel there are a lot of details to take into consideration with this decision. Alright, so here’s my situation: I’ve already been accepted to the University of Kansas, and I’m currently waitlisted at Texas Tech – El Paso, but I am trying to figure out what I would do in the event that I’m offered a spot at Texas Tech – EP. If I’m not offered a spot, then none of this will matter, but I’m trying to be as prepared as possible. In addition to that, another important piece of background info is that my husband is a current MS2 and will be doing his 3rd and 4th years of medical school rotations in El Paso (where Texas Tech – EP is located). He does have the opportunity to do some of his 4th year rotations in other parts of the country, so he could potentially do rotations in Kansas if I end up at KU, but that’s more of a gamble. It might also be helpful info to know that I grew up in Kansas City and wanted to attend KU since I was 12, so as much as I’m trying not to let that cloud my judgment, it’s hard to take that strong emotional connection out of the mix.

University of Kansas (Kansas City campus, although there’s a chance I might get placed in Wichita)
Pros
  • Great reputation/established program
  • Connected with a hospital
  • Usually matches a handful of students into ortho residencies, and KU Medical Center has its own ortho residency that many KU students have matched into in the past
  • Big research school (although I’m not hugely excited about research, so this is more of a neutral point for me)
  • Located in a huge city with a lot of potential opportunities (unless I get placed in Wichita)
  • Consistent average Step score around 226
  • In the city where I grew up/lots of family and social ties (except my husband wouldn’t be there)

Cons
  • I’d be living ~1,000 miles away from my husband for probably 2 years
  • The class size is larger than I’d like
  • Most of the current students seemed unhappy (and didn't have glowing things to say about the school) at my interview day
  • Not many Spanish-speaking opportunities

Texas Tech UHSC – El Paso/Paul L. Foster SOM
Pros
  • In the same city where my husband will be for the next two years
  • In a Spanish-speaking area where I can work with Spanish-speaking patients
  • The students were all incredibly kind and happy at my interview day
  • Great culture among students (the school really focuses on building relationships among students)
  • Small class size

Cons
  • Newer school/not much of a reputation at this point
  • Not directly affiliated with a hospital
  • Hardly any students match into orthopedic residencies
  • Located in a smaller city with fewer potential opportunities
  • Highly variable average Step score (ranges from 219-235 and everything in between)
  • In a city where I’ve never lived and have very few social/family ties (except I’d be living with my husband)

Both schools
Pros
  • New P/F curricula that I think would work well with my learning style
  • Reasonable cost

Summary
: I am unsure of which school I would choose in large part because I want to live with my husband, but KU seems like a great school for preparing me for a competitive specialty. I would appreciate kind, helpful feedback/insight, and especially would love to hear from people who can speak to the family/marital aspect of my decision. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I mean this sincerely and as inoffensively as I can when I say:

As a woman, if you have interest in Ortho, you're in. Like 96% of ortho surgeons are men. They are begging for more women, which is good for you!

As to the rest of your question, I have not drank enough coffee to think about it, sorry.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean this sincerely and as inoffensively as I can when I say:

As a woman, if you have interest in Ortho, you're in. Like 96% of ortho surgeons are men. They are begging for more women, which is good for you!

As to the rest of your question, I have not drank enough coffee to think about it, sorry.

That's good to know! That helps give me peace of mind for Texas Tech's low ortho match rate.

Definitely go to Kansas. Although I'm not familiar with that program, it's definitely better established and well recognized. Although being a woman will help in Ortho, it's still a tough field to match and you wanna go to the best program you can. Tech El Paso is a pretty small and new program and tbh it doesn't have the strongest reputation. Also, it's not really close to any city or anything so you have limited research opportunities (they just have one huge lab room). Being in a city means you have a lot of physicians to network with. #1 downside is that Tech doesnt even have a home program in Ortho, so your exposure would be totally limited. Kansas on the other hand has a residency program, and a PD you could network with, someone who could make calls for you, etc. Kansas is the clear choice here

Edit: just saw the thing about your husband. Its going to be tough but its only two years and I would still say go for Kansas. If it was like he was gonna be there for 4+ years that would be a larger consideration but all in all two years won't be terrible

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely go to Kansas. Although I'm not familiar with that program, it's definitely better established and well recognized. Although being a woman will help in Ortho, it's still a tough field to match and you wanna go to the best program you can. Tech El Paso is a pretty small and new program and tbh it doesn't have the strongest reputation. Also, it's not really close to any city or anything so you have limited research opportunities (they just have one huge lab room). Being in a city means you have a lot of physicians to network with. #1 downside is that Tech doesnt even have a home program in Ortho, so your exposure would be totally limited. Kansas on the other hand has a residency program, and a PD you could network with, someone who could make calls for you, etc. Kansas is the clear choice here

Edit: just saw the thing about your husband. Its going to be tough but its only two years and I would still say go for Kansas. If it was like he was gonna be there for 4+ years that would be a larger consideration but all in all two years won't be terrible
Thank you so much for the thorough and thoughtful response! You're voicing many of the thoughts I've had, especially about KU having a home ortho program and a lot more networking and research opportunities. I wasn't sure if KU's reputation was mostly "in my head," but you've validated what I thought to be true concerning its strong reputation.

Thank you so much for the thorough and thoughtful response! You're voicing many of the thoughts I've had, especially about KU having a home ortho program and a lot more networking and research opportunities. I wasn't sure if KU's reputation was mostly "in my head," but you've validated what I thought to be true concerning its strong reputation.
Yeah I also interviewed at Tech El Paso so I saw first hand, and definitely matching anything competitive/surgical would be way better from an established program in a big city like KU, congratulations and good luck!!

Yeah I also interviewed at Tech El Paso so I saw first hand, and definitely matching anything competitive/surgical would be way better from an established program in a big city like KU, congratulations and good luck!!
Thank you so much! And best of luck to you as well :)

Personally, I’d go wherever maximized the time/chance of spending time with my partner/spouse. If there’s a way your husband wants/can get residency in his specialty in KS, then that sounds great. If not, then maybe TX is better?

Personally, I’d go wherever maximized the time/chance of spending time with my partner/spouse. If there’s a way your husband wants/can get residency in his specialty in KS, then that sounds great. If not, then maybe TX is better?
That's a great point! Perhaps we need to be looking more long-term to see where he's going to be after he finishes school, and try to choose my school accordingly. Thanks for the insight!

Just wanted to point out, Plfsom does have a teaching hospital UMC right next to school and also the Texas tech physicians of El Paso for residents. Their new MEB which is 220000 sq ft building is sett to open later this year with expansion in research labs and study space

Just wanted to point out, Plfsom does have a teaching hospital UMC right next to school and also the Texas tech physicians of El Paso for residents. Their new MEB which is 220000 sq ft building is sett to open later this year with expansion in research labs and study space
Thanks for the added info! That’s good to know :)