University of Kentucky at Lexington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Benzo4every1

Wine Ho
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question or two. Can you give me a candid opinion on this medicine program , if you have interviewed there, are a medical student there, residents or fellows there?

Thanks
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there

I hope all is well with you and your interviews. I interviewed at UK and I liked the program alot-- the people are really friendly. The program has a regional feel to it as most of the residents come from either UK or the local region. The hospital is old, but quite nice and I understand that they are planning on building another one soon. They have a cancer center and a cardiology part of the hospital which is quite new. The uk chandler med center and the va, outpatient clinics, cancer center, and cardiology building are all interconnected by skywalks/tunnels so that you do not have to step outside to move between them. The program is quite busy, and it seemed as if the residents have few complaints-- they are quite happy with their program. However, the program does utilize a VA as one of its teaching hospitals and a VA is VA-- it comes with its own ups and downs. The UK chandler hospital has a computerized radiology system (no plain films) and a computerized ordering system which also has the discharge summaries/labs, but progress notes are still done on paper. The residents reported that they have to do little social work as that is all taken care of by the social workers. I was amazed to see how friendly and happy everyone is at the hospital and the city of Lexington. Lexington is a clean, beautiful small city that has all the amenitites (except for major professional sports, but UK makes up for that-- I understand they have a baskeball team and a football team and all the residents/program director enjoy going to the games). The hospital is located on the campus of UK which is a plus-- you are able to access all the facilities of a large university while not being in the usual rough neighborhood. In contrast to most of the other places I went to interview, the residents at UK did not complain at all about their outpatient training-- they said that they are quite comfortable with outpatients and that they are able to see insured patients in the outpt clinic which allows them to become familiar with dealing with all the HMO/managed care/insurance issues that come up in private practice. Almost all the patients speak english which is a plus if you are coming from a place where that is not the case. The city of Lexington has a lot of beautiful horse farms which make the area beautiful. From what the residents were saying, it is more than possible to purchase a home on a resident's salary-- the area is incredibly affordable. I had the feeling that this is the type of program which does not have too many single residents-- it sounded like most of the resident are married/have kids, but they still hang out together. The UK campus is gorgeous-- it has all the typical red brick buildings that one would think of when seeing a college campus. From what everyone was saying, it does not snow much in Lexington and the weather is beautiful-- there are four distinct seasons-- with the winter not being that bad. I really liked the people there-- this is one of only a few programs where I felt the residents/attendings/people are legitimately happy-- they are not just putting on a pretty face for the intern candidates. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me as I highly recommend this program. Also, any posts from people who would like to add/disagree to my comments are more than welcome as always. Sorry for this long disorganized post and I hope this helps. Best of luck to you and I hope you match at your first choice !! Thanks.

Oh yeah, I forgot to write about their fellowshiip placement which is excellent-- the info can be found on their program's website. From what the residents were saying, everyone who comes to Lexington likes it so much that they do not want to move far away. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Plus they are in the SEC so you can go an watch the mighty Gamecocks dominate them year after year. That would be awesome!!!! Why didn't I interview there? :laugh:
Howdy Benzo. See you soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loopo Henle said:
Plus they are in the SEC so you can go an watch the mighty Gamecocks dominate them year after year. That would be awesome!!!! Why didn't I interview there? :laugh:
Howdy Benzo. See you soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You shut up Loopo. :smuggrin: :p

Thanks rs for your opinion on the program. I also got the feeling there were more married folks than single folks and the residents were extremely friendly and nice. Just trying to decide if I should do a second look there or not. :)