1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

University of Kentucky Ob/Gyn

Discussion in 'Ob/Gyn' started by bkrone1, Aug 4, 2006.

1. bkrone1

bkrone1 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I see that many of you are getting geared up for the upcoming application/interview season. There are many programs out there even though it seems that there are only about 10 that are written about here (mostly in the northeast and west). Be sure and look at all the options in a particular region.

I want to invite you all to check out our program at the University of Kentucky. We have a new website with more information.

http://www.mc.uky.edu/obg

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PELE#10

PELE#10 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hi,
    I just looked at the website and I was really impressed. What kind of numbers do you need to be competitive. My step 1 score is pretty low but I passed on the first shot.

thanks

4. bkrone1

bkrone1 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Pele#10,

Our program director and our residency review committee "screen" applicants according to board scores, grades, letters of rec., etc. They assign points to certain criteria. If you have enough points, you get invited for an interview. I'm not exactly sure of the algorithm. Once invited for an interview, the grades and scores take a back seat to overall personality and communication skills.

5. UCLAMAN

UCLAMAN Air Jordan Collector
    7+ Year Member

is there a step 1 cutoff or does the "screen" take into account all aspects of your application?

i too saw the website and would be interested in applying to the program.

whats kentucky like by the way?

6. bkrone1

bkrone1 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    UCLAMAN,

The initial application screening takes into account the entire application. Points are applied to certain sections and then a total is calculated. Interview invitations are extended based on the total point count. Of course, a low Step1/2 score gets a low point for that section.

Kentucky is a nice place to live. Lexington is around 100-120,000 population. Nice people. Beautiful scenery (horse country, mountains, rivers, lakes). All 4 seasons..nice spring, hot summer, colorful fall, cold winter with snow/ice. Easy drive/fly to most surrounding major cities....Cincinnati, Chicago, Nashville, Indianapolis, Knoxville, etc. Reasonable cost of living.

Check this website out for more info http://www.visitlex.com/

7. juddson

juddson 3K Member
    7+ Year Member

Kentucky is Ohio's crotch - West Virginia its (left) armpit.

Judd

8. darth1

Medical Student
    Had to jump in here and defend my beautiful homestate. Kentucky is a great place to live with very nice people. I'm a medical student at the University of Kentucky. The residents in the OB-Gyn program are very nice. The faculty are very supportive and like to teach. Very non-malignant. There's a nice balance of resident indepedence with faculty help as needed. It's a busy program and you get lots of experience. Excellent fellowship in Gyn-Onc. UK will be one of my top picks as I apply for residency.

9. bkrone1

bkrone1 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    darth1,

Thanks for taking up for us!!

10. Tn Family MD

Tn Family MD Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I graduated from UK med last year and I must say that the OB/GYN program there is top notch. The PD is simply awesome, faculty great, residents are good people and fun to be around. It'd be hard to do better, really.