University of Louisville (~170k) vs Dartmouth (350K)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinydancer2022

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was all set to attend UL this fall with a nice scholarship bringing the cost way down.
Then Dartmouth took me off their waitlist! I need help deciding and I don't have a lot of time left!

I'm interested in rural health/underserved populations and both are available in both locations!

(Also, it is so easy to figure out who I am from this post if you know me! Please let me stay anonymous to the rest of the internet!)

UL:
Pros:
-scholarship was awesome and made it basically in state for me
-super awesome (and specific) research opportunity that I'm particularly jazzed about!
-close-ish to family
-city life=more things to do in those rare occasions where we get a break from studying
-I'm a performer and the actors theater of Louisville is awesome and super close!
-4 surrounding hospitals to do clinical rotations

Cons:
-Didn't mesh with anyone at second look (everyone seemed to know each other already)
-Louisville was put on probation twice and that's freaky
-It's said ranks don't matter but just for reference, it's pretty much a tier lower

Dartmouth
Pros:
-I love Dartmouth College SO much!

Cons:
-price is staggering especially in comparison (I don't know if Dartmouth is going to give any aid other than loans but I'm not holding my breath since I am an waitlist student and school is starting soon!)
-I've heard that it's name isn't weighty enough to make it a no brainer
-Driving in snow stresses me out but I'll get over it
-I may want to stick with primary care which makes it even MORE stressful that it costs so much more

Members don't see this ad.

You seem to be more happy about UL...

Flip a coin, and if you get the one you didn’t want, subconsciously you’ll feel letdown. That’s the one you don’t attend lol. Credits to @LizzyM

Reactions: 1 user
I was all set to attend UL this fall with a nice scholarship bringing the cost way down.
Then Dartmouth took me off their waitlist! I need help deciding and I don't have a lot of time left!

I'm interested in rural health/underserved populations and both are available in both locations!

(Also, it is so easy to figure out who I am from this post if you know me! Please let me stay anonymous to the rest of the internet!)

UL:
Pros:
-scholarship was awesome and made it basically in state for me
-super awesome (and specific) research opportunity that I'm particularly jazzed about!
-close-ish to family
-city life=more things to do in those rare occasions where we get a break from studying
-I'm a performer and the actors theater of Louisville is awesome and super close!
-4 surrounding hospitals to do clinical rotations

Cons:
-Didn't mesh with anyone at second look (everyone seemed to know each other already)
-Louisville was put on probation twice and that's freaky
-It's said ranks don't matter but just for reference, it's pretty much a tier lower

Dartmouth
Pros:
-I love Dartmouth College SO much!

Cons:
-price is staggering especially in comparison (I don't know if Dartmouth is going to give any aid other than loans but I'm not holding my breath since I am an waitlist student and school is starting soon!)
-I've heard that it's name isn't weighty enough to make it a no brainer
-Driving in snow stresses me out but I'll get over it
-I may want to stick with primary care which makes it even MORE stressful that it costs so much more

As a current OOS student on the waitlist at dream school U of L, my completely unbiased opinion is obviously Dartmouth. All kidding aside, having done undergrad here, Louisville is a fun city and the university is awesome. The IS to OOS ratio in the med school class is 3:1 and everyone in Kentucky seems to know each other one way or another, so it’s not surprising it seemed like everyone knew each other because they probably did! And from what I’ve heard, the past probation hasn’t seemed to be a big issue and the problems have been resolved. I don’t know much about Dartmouth other than it is a great school, but I’d go wherever you think you’d be the happiest and where you could get the most out of your experience! Can't go wrong either way IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)