University of Louisville Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pkwaterlilly

Reaction score
Does anyone know how hard it is to establish residency in Kentucky, specifically at the university of louisville. I plan on possibly moving there this coming may as my fiancé landed a job there. I would do the masters in physiology program, take a gap year and apply to university of louisville dental school. So I technically will have the 12 month gap of fully working in the state, but how hard is it to establish residency before dental school to get in state tuition?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how hard it is to establish residency in Kentucky, specifically at the university of louisville. I plan on possibly moving there this coming may as my fiancé landed a job there. I would do the masters in physiology program, take a gap year and apply to university of louisville dental school. So I technically will have the 12 month gap of fully working in the state, but how hard is it to establish residency before dental school to get in state tuition?
That very well may be a possibility and you can technically apply as a resident and can technically BE a state resident, but from my experience states do not consider you a resident unless you graduated high school there or spent many years (idk, 5+?) living there not as a student.

My experience: I applied at 25 y/o but hadn't lived in any single state for more than 2 years after the age of 18. When I applied to dental school, I applied as a state resident of 2 years for the school in my state (GA), they interviewed me but did not consider me a resident even though I technically met all the requirements. I ended up attending a private school bc they don't care about state residency.

Reactions: 1 user
That very well may be a possibility and you can technically apply as a resident and can technically BE a state resident, but from my experience states do not consider you a resident unless you graduated high school there or spent many years (idk, 5+?) living there not as a student.

My experience: I applied at 25 y/o but hadn't lived in any single state for more than 2 years after the age of 18. When I applied to dental school, I applied as a state resident of 2 years for the school in my state (GA), they interviewed me but did not consider me a resident even though I technically met all the requirements. I ended up attending a private school bc they don't care about state residency.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I do know it all varies state by state and no one seems to be able to give you a direct answer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
no one seems to be able to give you a direct answer.
That's exactly the problem. Even asking admissions staff, they will just give you the minimum written requirements - of which you are obviously already aware. I always was a little jealous of people who were able to apply to dental school right away and not have their state residency questioned. Not much you can do to change things at this point. Just put together the best application that you can and go for it! Good luck with things!

One of my classmates attended Louisville for undergrad (parents are out of state) and was still not considered a KY resident for tuition purposes (he applied app cycle in 2016-2017). However, he was considered in-state at University of Kentucky. I’d definitely check in with administration because these can be very particular rules!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I moved to KY prior to applying to dental school. I had to change everything over: license, car registration, voter registration, etc. I had been living in the state for 3 years, but they still required that I bring tax forms in order to prove residency. My advice would be to get a job ASAP, so that it looks like you moved her to work and live (and not to attend school only). I had about three years worth of tax filings, but I don't know if the number matters.

I go to ULSD! I have a few friends that established residency here from out of state. I'm pretty sure the rule of thumb for ULSD is that you have to live and work in state for 2 years. That's probably why they make you provide tax forms.