University of Louisville ER?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miss Narcan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a shout-out: how many people are ranking UofL Er program? I'm ranking it #1...it is also my med school.

also, for outsiders who interviewed here, I'd like to hear your unbiased view from mine: impression of the interview, or visiting rotation, etc. etc....

thxs :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Mrs. Narcan-
I bet from my avatar you can tell who I am. I go to school with you as well. You already know that I love UofL's program, but the military made me go with them. I will see you on match day. Give me a first name so I will know who I am talking to.
BTW- I haven't seen anyone on this board rank Louisville. You guys are missing out! You get a great (varied) patient base, lots of trauma, and autonomy that would make some uncomfortable, but is awesome for others. Cost of living is LOW compares to the rest of the nation, and we get the Kentucky Derby! Indy, Cinci and Nashville are all a short drive away.
Good luck to everybody on the match!
Steve

USAF MD '05 said:
BTW- I haven't seen anyone on this board rank Louisville. You guys are missing out!

Don't feel bad; I've only seen one person on this board beside me ranking my home program. I know several of my classmates interviewed at Louisville and plan on ranking it. Now that Dr. Edwards (a former Louisville chief resident) is on our faculty and soon to be named Assistant PD, you'll probably be seeing a lot of UAB students interview there. He is a really great guy, and I think all of our students are interested in taking a look at the program he came from!

Members don't see this ad :)
i rotated at U of L and had a great time. The faculty and residents were great. Lots of autonomy, no doubt about it. Lots of trauma, too. I enjoyed the rotation, but I am glad I ended up choosing Dallas.

-Andy

Hey guys, I rotated in Louisville back in August, probably with both Miss Narcan and USAF MD '05 ( I think there were 12 of us)!!! Anyway, I absolutely loved Louisville and have also ranked it #1. I guess the things I enjoyed about it were all the things mentioned earlier, tremendous autonomy, large volume, great trauma training, and extremely nice and approachable residents and attendings. I was only there for a month, but I thought Louisville was a great city.....low cost of living, major cities nearby, great weather (I really want to see 4 different seasons!) , really good college sports, and so much to do. I'm really happy with my decision and hope it works out on Match Day!

And AU Tiger must be Brett from South Bama? Good luck guys. Off to Texas I go! *sniff*
Steve

:) Loved the leeches.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting up here killing time before my Neurology Shelf exam. I don't understand why we have exams in the spring of 4th year. I'm sitting in the unit lab (for those of you unfamiliar with this, it's the study area/cubicle rooms for 1st and 2nd years). Wow, it seems like ages since I was in this spot and if I had to do it all over again, I really don't know....geez.

Brett, good to see you on here and good luck to you, too!

Nat

Hey guys! Good to hear from you again. Steve, I have several classmates going to San Antonio, none for EM though. Hope you enjoy it there.

I'm originially from KY but am attending school in WV. I still bleed blue, though. Anyway, what are your ED rotations at Louisville like for visiting students? I would like to spend some time there my 4th year because it will be high on my rank list.

Incidentally, I got engaged in Louisville a couple months ago. Had dinner at Morton's. Excellent food. But is it really worth $140?

Firebird said:
I'm originially from KY but am attending school in WV. I still bleed blue, though. Anyway, what are your ED rotations at Louisville like for visiting students? I would like to spend some time there my 4th year because it will be high on my rank list.

Incidentally, I got engaged in Louisville a couple months ago. Had dinner at Morton's. Excellent food. But is it really worth $140?

Rotations are pretty laid back. You make your own schedule with the other rotating students. I think we worked 16 shifts. 6days, 5 each of nights and evenings. Report directly to upper level. As much activity in the trauma room as you are comfortable with. The students did far more than the off-service interns. I usually saw more patients and did more procedures than them as well. They like to poke fun at ED docs, but when they come to our house, they are lost! :smuggrin:
You will have a good time.
Steve
Haven't been to Mortons, but I would say 140 bucks is only worth spending for engagements and anniversary's, v-tines, etc...at least until I'm an attending!

That rotation sounds pretty good. Are they 8, 10 or 12 hour shifts? Also, how many TRUE medical emergencies would someone see at Louisville in a day (eg, a code, a life-threatening trauma, etc.)? Obviously it would vary, but I'm just curious how wild it gets there.

You're absolutely right--$140 is only worth it for special occasions...although the food was pretty dang good.

Hey I am trying to get in touch with someone there to set up a rotation but the phone number doesnt work and the emails arent getting returned. Can someone there let me know who to contact and how I can reach them?

Thanks
Ectopic

Firebird said:
That rotation sounds pretty good. Are they 8, 10 or 12 hour shifts? Also, how many TRUE medical emergencies would someone see at Louisville in a day (eg, a code, a life-threatening trauma, etc.)? Obviously it would vary, but I'm just curious how wild it gets there.

You're absolutely right--$140 is only worth it for special occasions...although the food was pretty dang good.

I think the shifts are 7A-3P, 3P-11P, and 11P-7A, but I may be off by an hour or so. Miss Narcan probably remembers better than me. Maybe she will comment. Traumas are usually pretty steady. Sometimes 2 or 3 per shift sometimes lots more. One night, we barely saw a 2 or 3 patients apiece because we spent the whole night in the trauma bay. I saw more traumas than medical codes. Pretty good split of blunt vs. penetrating.
The only bad part is the test at the end. It is on a resident level, and is an ass-kicker. They don't flunk you no matter how you score, but it knocked me from honors to high pass.

E-mail Bonnie Lakes at [email protected] or call 502-852-1273. She is the secretary and runs things from the students POV. She is sweet but ditzy. She will hook you up.
Let me know if you have more questions.

Did they write strong letters there for you (as far you know of course?) please provide any help or advice.

Thanks
Ectopic

EctopicFetus said:
Did they write strong letters there for you (as far you know of course?) please provide any help or advice.

Thanks
Ectopic

Dr. Danzl (Chariman) and Dr. Vicario are very well respected in the ER community from what I understand, and yes, they write good letters IF you work hard and play well with others. I did three ER rotations, 1 home 2 away (cinci, hennepin) , and its the same at every place... Work hard, be enthusiastic, and DONT BE FAKE. It's kind of scary when a student pretends to be happy to do a rectal or pelvic exam... please... Take home message: If you want a letter, make sure you schedule shifts to be with the big name attendings. No use spending a month away from home only to get a letter from someone no one else has heard of. By the way, I am a total advocate of doing as many away rotations as you can before you send your ERAS in. I can't tell you how many times on the interview trail a PD commented on my positive remarks from multiple programs that I rotated. Its easy to play nice at home, but how you act at someone else's house says a lot. I would also advise rotating at a 4 year program. After I did my rotation at cinci I fell in love with academic ER and never looked back. Either way, you are an informed consumer when it comes time to rank certain types of programs.

norgeringerike said:
I would also advise rotating at a 4 year program. After I did my rotation at cinci I fell in love with academic ER and never looked back. Either way, you are an informed consumer when it comes time to rank certain types of programs.

That's a good piece of advice that I think we often forget to dispense here. When picking your away rotation(s) try to find somewhere different from your home program whether that be 3 vs 4 years, academic vs community, or different geographically if you're up for moving anywhere.