University of Louisville IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ice-1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys know about this program or think of it? Rankable or not?

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience at Louisville (interviewing for Med-Peds), there's no way I would ever, ever, ever rank this program. Everyone in my med-peds group said no way no how that we would even put this place last on our list. It seems there's a lot of work to do there before things start rolling.

Could you be a bit more specific about what you found wrong about the program? Thanks for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
let me start first by saying that I'm neither in IM nor at Louisville right now, but I did go there for med school. Secondly, I would not trust some one named Bozo the Clown.

U of L medicine is not something special. It's not great, it's not bad, more of a middle of the road program. The people who stayed from my class, I would have been very happy to be working with them day in and day out. Attending wise, they do a decent job of teaching. The hospital itself is probably more to be desired for but they are renovating it a section at a time.

I am a fourth year student at UofL, and going into IM. I'm having a really difficult time deciding if it should be my number one or not. I have interviewed at some of the big names in the southeast, and I am pretty sure that I am competitive at any of them.

I honestly believe that UofL is a program on the rise. It's already a solid training experience. They get broad enough pathology, with enough autonomy and clinically experienced attendings to give you what you need in a program. Their research is rapidly growing, especially in oncology and cardiology.

In my opinion, one of the biggest strengths is the support and genuine concern you will get from the program director and assistants. For example, you may have seen during your interview that UofL's board pass rate over the past three years is about 93-94%. In response, they have instituted a study program, and last year had a 100% pass rate. Also, I was at one of the academic year-ending conferences last summer, and the program director was visible quite sad to see her residents leaving because she forms such a bond with them. I guess the point is that they will help you the absolute best that they can, and you will become part of something more than just a bunch of trainees.

If you're from the region, you may find it appealing that you will get tied into the local medical community, whether your interests are clinical or research. As I said above, it is quite easy to become a part of it as the people in and around the program take a real interest in you. If you're not from the region, I think you may be pleasantly surprised by how livable Louisville is.

All that said, the negatives do exist. For me, the biggest may simply be reputation - whether it is based in fact or not. If you intend to do a fellowship or academia, I think I have to admit that the UofL name historically doesn't have the power nationally of the Vandy or Duke name. Nevertheless, very good fellowships are attainable as this year's chiefs are headed off for Allergy at Vandy and Critical Care at Florida. Also, some of the subspecialties are not as strong as others. And the research, while rapidly growing, may not be strong in your particular interest. Last, I must admit that a minority of the attendings are underwhelming. However, that is improving as well.

It's a very tempting residency, in my opinion. As for the med-peds people mentioned above, I don't know what their problems are.

I wish you the best in your decision.