University of Louisville vs. University of Cincinnati: Opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tfom08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
These programs are close to each other and offering interviews on the same days when I will be in the area. I will probably only be able to visit one of them and I'm wondering if anyone has seen both and would care to comment on which they would choose to interview at. I checked scutwork.com, but the reviews there are from 2004 and earlier, so I'm not even sure how much that matters, as I think the PD has changed at one if not both places. Anyway, any info is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

These programs are close to each other and offering interviews on the same days when I will be in the area. I will probably only be able to visit one of them and I'm wondering if anyone has seen both and would care to comment on which they would choose to interview at. I checked scutwork.com, but the reviews there are from 2004 and earlier, so I'm not even sure how much that matters, as I think the PD has changed at one if not both places. Anyway, any info is appreciated!

I have a friend at Louisville. He likes it a lot. Its pretty heavy workload though. Has night float. New chairman from Emory (PCCM guy), doing lots of good work in restructuring, gaining more funds for departmental research. Its a 5 hospital system, if thats what you are looking for.

Cincinnati has a new PD, who was the associate PD before. Dont know much more about it. I've heard its a good program though.

I think fellowship matches of Louisville are probably better than Cincinnati? Someone could comment on this.

I'd also like to learn more about the U of L program. From old posts it seems like it has been up and down.. a classic middle-tier program. Wondering how it is now?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at UoL IM last year. It is a good middle-tier midwestern program. I was actually very impressed by their program. The residents were all very nice and down to earth. They all spoke very highly of the program. The program director, Dr. Casper is nice as well. An intern that graduated from UoL at our program also spoke highly of her. They get a good well rounded clinical experience as well.

A unique part of the program is the option to get a PhD in Physiology while in residency. It is streamlined. I was impressed by the couple residents who were doing this.

Anyone know about UCincinnati? My snap judgment from the fellowship lists, program websites, and scutwork.com was that Cinci was a slightly more favorable residency program from the aspect of fellowship competitiveness, but nobody seems to know much about it around here.

I should also note that UoL IM program had many spots go unfilled in the match last year. Not sure why. If you interview there, you should definitely ask.

I'd say UoL and UoC are both mid-tier. Not sure if one gives you a significant boost over the other re:fellowships.

I should also note that UoL IM program had many spots go unfilled in the match last year. Not sure why. If you interview there, you should definitely ask.

I'd say UoL and UoC are both mid-tier. Not sure if one gives you a significant boost over the other re:fellowships.

Thanks for that bit of info, I will definitely ask why if I interview there. On the second part, I think you are totally right and probably it would be splitting hairs a little bit to try to figure out which one is "better" or "more competitive" between the two. They seem pretty closely matched and it probably depends much more on which program a person feels comfortable between these two.

I have been having this question since some time now. Not only last year, I think in the last few years they have gone unmatched a few times..and I really dont know why, because like one person said above, it is a very good program, with a good PD, and good clinical experience.

I have been having this question since some time now. Not only last year, I think in the last few years they have gone unmatched a few times..and I really dont know why, because like one person said above, it is a very good program, with a good PD, and good clinical experience.

It's in Louisville.

I'm from Louisville. It's a nice town with a lot of big parks. Plenty of nightlife bars stay open til 4 am. Kentucky Derby festival and St. Patricks day parade are especially fun. During the St. Patricks Day Parade it is kind of like bourbon street in that you are allowed to carry alcohol in plastic cups up and down bardstown road where a lot of the bars are (the weird side of town) Traffic flow is good. Low crime except very far toward west end toward high street numbers.

dont forget Cincy may win the FBS national championship this year! UofL... will probably not.

I'm from Louisville. It's a nice town with a lot of big parks. Plenty of nightlife bars stay open til 4 am. Kentucky Derby festival and St. Patricks day parade are especially fun. During the St. Patricks Day Parade it is kind of like bourbon street in that you are allowed to carry alcohol in plastic cups up and down bardstown road where a lot of the bars are (the weird side of town) Traffic flow is good. Low crime except very far toward west end toward high street numbers.

I have been to Louisville once and it depends from where you are coming? It is middle of no where. It is not a ghost town but it is like run down kind of town.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably the not filling could be a combination of it being in the Midwest (which tends to attract few applicants from the coasts), being internal medicine (not highly preferred by US students and many have their pick of programs) and being in a less desired city (i.e. if going to be in Midwest or South, then more people might prefer Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, or even Nashville or St. Louis). My impression from visiting the city is that parts of it look run down, but that's pretty much true of most cities, and sometimes in the Midwest things can look kind of bleak (weather-wise, etc.) around the time most fellowship interviews are going on.

I would not say exactly in a same way.

If you visit 2 biggest cities in Kentucky, Louisville vs Lexington there is a big difference between them although both are not very far apart. Same can be said for Memphis vs Nashville.

Don't agree. Louisville has great big parks, low cost of living, great housing, it's green and wide variations in seasons with mild winters and good traffic flow. Yes the medical school and major downtown hospitals are not in the best part of town but they are minutes away by interstates and major roadways.

Don't agree. Louisville has great big parks, low cost of living, great housing, it's green and wide variations in seasons with mild winters and good traffic flow. Yes the medical school and major downtown hospitals are not in the best part of town but they are minutes away by interstates and major roadways.

Are you saying that Lexington, KY does not have all the things which you have mentioned such as big parks, low cost of living, great housing, similar weather and good traffic flow?

YES. Lexington has terrible traffic and was a very poorly designed city with all traffic going in toward the university in a spoke and wheel pattern. It's a college town and that's it. Very poor night life and doesn't have much of anything except Keeneland. Traffic sucks. Everything shuts down early and it's much smaller than Louisville and it's parks suck compared to Louisville parks which were designed by Ohlmstead who also designed NY central park.

Louisville is a bigger city than Lexington, and more urban. As medicinedoc says, there isn't a whole lot going on in Lexingon, but I did think it was prettier when I was there. If you are married with kids, or you love to ride horses, Lexington might trump Louisville. It's also near some good outdoor stuff (great rock climbing, etc.). Louisville appears to have better night life and probably more amenities of a big city, but also the bad things that go along with big cities.

My favorite park is Cherokee park. I run the scenic loop every day when in town. It is in the highlands off of Bardstown road with lots of restaurants, sidewalks, and kind of the arty more liberal end of town.

It's about 15 minutes from the hospitals/medical school. It also has a dog park where you can let your dog run loose.

Probably the not filling could be a combination of it being in the Midwest (which tends to attract few applicants from the coasts), being internal medicine (not highly preferred by US students and many have their pick of programs) and being in a less desired city (i.e. if going to be in Midwest or South, then more people might prefer Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, or even Nashville or St. Louis). My impression from visiting the city is that parts of it look run down, but that's pretty much true of most cities, and sometimes in the Midwest things can look kind of bleak (weather-wise, etc.) around the time most fellowship interviews are going on.

Can someone compare UCincinnati/ Louisville with Drexel?

While Drexel is in Philly, a few posts on this forum have put it lower than Penn State, Temple and TJU, almost equal to Albert Einstein Med Center.

Anyone know of their fellowship stats?

Other inputs?