University of Louisville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hcrunner82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any info on this program? I'm a current 4th year attending school in the NE but grew up in Kentucky and would love to return there for my neuro residency. I'm just a little concerned that for the past few years the program seems to have a hard time filling all of their spots. Can anyone shed any light on that...is the program just too picky with their rank list or is there something wrong with the program?

Thanks for any insight and good luck to all in the upcoming year.

Members don't see this ad.

hc,

There are just 2 neurology residencies in KY, as you probably know--UK (Lexington) and UofL.

UofL historically has a lot of problems. This includes keeping adequate faculty with sufficient time and expertise to teach the residents. They have some very good faculty there and have graduated some good residents, despite their problems. They are a very small program (2 per year) despite being a large university medical system and therefore the residents are worked VERY hard. They are in the process of getting a new chair. It's not a competitive program to get into. Website is http://louisville.edu/medschool/neuro/academics/residency/res_index.html

UK is a highly competitive, medium-sized program accepting 4 residents per year. They expanded 2 years ago. The faculty is very large with exceptional breadth and depth of expertise. Their department chair is stable for more than a decade. The university is building a new medical center and neurosciences clinic. Website is at http://www.mc.uky.edu/neurology/

Basically, it's generally agreed that the UK neurology residency program massively trumps UofL. However, don't take my word for it. Apply to both and see what happens.

Good luck!!

I went to med school at UL and am currently doing a pediatric neurology residency (in the NE actually). I definately agree with the above posting. There are some exceptional faculty at UL but overall still a small department. I have'nt been around in a few years but never really knew why. There seemed to be a fairly strong basic science neuroscience research group. I know within peds neuro they were working on recruiting faculty but were having trouble finding someone.....which is par for the course around the country anyway. The adult program was very active in stroke and ICU when i was there for med school. Some of the other specialties were hit or miss. The epilpesy section was small. As for UK, I cant really speak for that program much above what was previously stated. As for other area programs, Cinci, Wash U and and Vandy all have good neuro programs as well. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
One more thing, if considering a child neurology residency that's a bit more complicated. the Child Neuro faculty at UofL are very dedicated, and very nice. So are the UK child neurologists. However, one still has to spend a full year in adult neurology to complete a child neuro residency, and UofL is not that strong, or friendly, in adult.

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any info on this program? I'm a current 4th year attending school in the NE but grew up in Kentucky and would love to return there for my neuro residency. I'm just a little concerned that for the past few years the program seems to have a hard time filling all of their spots. Can anyone shed any light on that...is the program just too picky with their rank list or is there something wrong with the program?

Thanks for any insight and good luck to all in the upcoming year.

Hey hcrunner82! I am currently a 4th medical student @ UofL so I thought I might be able to offer you some "insider's opinions". First of all, I would have to say we have some awesome neurology faculties here. I am not trying to sell the program but as a matter of fact I have decided to pursue neurology as a result from working with some of the faculty here. True the program here is small (only 2 residents/year) but I heard we are getting a new powerhouse chairman (formerly from duke? not 100% sure) and one of the first things to be accomplished is to expand the residency to at least 3 residents within the next year or two. Also the faculty size has tripled in peds neuro, stroke, and movement disorders over the past 3-4 years, so the program is definitely expanding.

I have talked to several residents regarding the program's unsuccessful match over the past few years: it seems like one of the major factors is UofL has a preference to rank their own medical students highly on their rank list, and only rank few other people from other medical schools. I think last year was a particularly bad year because UofL had interviewed ~25 people and ranked only 7 but #1-4 were UofL students who all ended up matching into more big named programs. So unfortunately UofL ended up with only scramblers.

Sorry I was a bit wordy, but hopefully that info was helpful. I am also strongly considering staying in Louisville (where my home is) so maybe we'll be coworkers one day ;)! Best of luck!

This year, they seem to have more interviews (~50) for the still 2 slots. And they have a new chair from case western.

I am currently training in the UofL Neurology, so my opinion might be a bit biased. I have seen so many old reviews about Louisville, that I felt compelled to provide an update. Just like any other programs, UofL Neurology has had its fair share of ups and downs, which was mainly because of the problems at the University level. Most of the residents over last 4-5 years have been IMGs. Since last 2-3 years, AMGs are catching up and comprise on an average 2 out 3 residents per year. At the same time, they are adding and retaining the new faculties. They are adding 3-4 faculties per year since last 3 years.

Work load: It is a busy program. It is a major referral center for southern Indiana and Northern Kentucky. Services are busy, which also makes you efficient and you get to see a wide range of pathology. But, you are left drained and exhausted by the end of the rotation. To counteract this, they have tried hiring NPs which share the work load and see the subacute patients which await placement. They are also working on expanding the complement to 5 residents per year

Faculty strength: UofL Neurology now has at least one faculty from almost all the sub specialties, and they are hiring more every year and retaining them, which used to be a problem previously. The attendings are very laid back and friendly. Some of them are nationally renowned.

Some negatives: small size of the program (they are planning to expand), would like more faculties (hopefully, they are able to hire more), not very strong on research.

I believe that most of the neurology programs are busy, with the stroke and critical care being the busiest services.

I would be happy to answer any other questions.