University of Louisville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bryanboling5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a pre-Med at the University of Kentucky. I have an upcoming interview at U of L and I was wondering if there was anyone out there who goes/went to U of L that could tell me a little about it. I applied there originally because my pre-Med advisor told me that I should apply there as well as here at UK, but, after a little reading, I think I might like it better there. I was just wondering if there was anyone with the inside track who could tell me about the school. My interview is Nov. 20th and I'd like to have some knowledge going in.

Thanks,
Bryan

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 2nd year med student here at UK. I also interviewed at U of L when I was applying and thought it was a very nice school. If you are more into research maybe it would be better for you, but the research is not exactly overlooked here at UK. There are plenty of opportunities for research here, but as I understand it they are more focused on research at U of L. I thought the U of L interview was OK...I was interviewed by a med student and a professor, both of whom were pretty laidback. Some people here at Uk like to think that the basic science courses here are stronger, but I don't think they have a clue what they are talking about. SOme of our professors here are blithering idiots, but some are darn good as well. I believe it would be a mixed bag of good and bad professors anywhere you go personally. If I can be of any help to you, just let me know.

Congratulations on your interview. I'm a first year med student here. I like it a lot. I have no regrets and U of L was my first choice. Relax for your interview and stay for the lecture following.

If you are worried about the clinical years, U of L had a 100% pass rate on the Step 2 USMLE exam for 2003. The clinical facilities are outstanding and first year med students get plenty of clinical exposure in the first year. We will know how to do a head-to-toe physical exam by Christmas.

Ask plenty of questions at your interview and talk to the students. The students know many details about the school that are hidden in the admissions process. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a second year at UofL. Like any school, UofL has strong points and weak points. The previous posts do a good job pointing some of them out.

I personally have been very happy at UofL. I have enjoyed the students, who are generally down-to-earth and not overly focused on competition. The faculty is strong overall, although, like Mongoose said of UK, we have some idiots, too.

As far as UK vs UofL, I think they both have good schools and opportunity to learn what you'll need as a doctor. Ask yourself where you'd feel most comfortable, and who has a program you like more. Louisville is very traditional, where UK has a more "organ-system" based curriculum.

Louisville does a great job clinically. I was pretty happy to learn my basic clinical skills so early. There is an army of SP's (standardized patients) that mimic disease in clinical exam rooms (complete with otoscopes, etc). I was also really happy with Anatomy, Physiology, and Neuroscience. Micro is well done, too.

Research is definitely possible at UofL, they have a program that helps set students up with research mentors.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Thanks for the responses guys! UK was originally my first choice, but I've lived in Lexington my whole life and did my undergrad here and some post-bacc work as well and I think I'm ready for a change of scenery. My grandparents used to live in L'ville and I really liked it. It sounds like the school will be a good match. A friend of mine went to U of L dental and loved it. I really hope that I get in! I'll definitely be in touch with you guys if I do! Thanks again.

Bryan

Originally posted by bryanboling5
Thanks for the responses guys! UK was originally my first choice, but I've lived in Lexington my whole life and did my undergrad here and some post-bacc work as well and I think I'm ready for a change of scenery. My grandparents used to live in L'ville and I really liked it. It sounds like the school will be a good match. A friend of mine went to U of L dental and loved it. I really hope that I get in! I'll definitely be in touch with you guys if I do! Thanks again.

Bryan

I went to undergrad in the Lexington area too and thought that UK would be a "no brainer" as my choice for medical school. Although UK had a strong first two years of curriculum, I felt that the basic science curriculum could be obtained literally anywhere. However, "great" clinical years can only be achieved at a location where there is plenty of exposure, i.e. Jewish, University, Norton's, Kosair, etc. That is what is really a seller for U of L, in my opinion.

The interviews at U of L as well as UK are very laid back. Not much pressure. If you're worried about being a traitor to the Wildcats, be assured that their are as many Wildcats (UK undergrad) as there are Cards in my class.

Like the other poster said, a majority of the students are not as competitive as you might think. We all try to push each other to succeed. If you have more questions, especially about the curriculum of the first year or any questions about the admissions process and pre-matriculation, please don't hesitate to ask!