• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

University of Maryland anesthesia

drsleepytime

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2004
    WLF said:
    anyone with any information on the University of Maryland anesthesia program? no reviews on scutwork.....good/bad, okay, what's up? thanks!

I applied there, but mainly because of geography more than reputation. I had one preceptor during one of my Anesthesiology electives who was a graduate of the program. He wasn't the best attending in terms of his physical skills, but his knowledge base was top-notch and he spoke hughly of the program.

That's about all I know...and I wish there had been at least ONE review on Scutwork too....

- Joe

WLF

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Oct 18, 2004
      drsleepytime said:
      I applied there, but mainly because of geography more than reputation. I had one preceptor during one of my Anesthesiology electives who was a graduate of the program. He wasn't the best attending in terms of his physical skills, but his knowledge base was top-notch and he spoke hughly of the program.

That's about all I know...and I wish there had been at least ONE review on Scutwork too....

- Joe
      thank you! anyone else who actually went there on the interview trail or has heard anything?

About the Ads

impetigo

Anesthesia Resident
      10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Nov 17, 2004
      USA
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        bangdown said:
        Here is a brief synopsis. I applied to Maryland last year thinking that they offered a unique training opportunity because of there shock trauma center. The reality is that you have to actually set up an elective there to rotate at the trauma center.

With regards to hours and scutwork, it appeared from what residents were saying that the workday was heavy, ~630am to about 5-6pm with a lot of scutwork. A few residents were straightforward in saying that they felt overworked. ALso, the board pass rate was ~80 percent in the recent years, although it is a small program and a few failures would skew that statistic. The hospital and facility was itself very impressive. Finally, even the faculty admitted to being overshadowed by Hopkins program. In fact, a few of them trained or were faculty at Hopkins. Further questions are welcome.

Hi there, just wondering what the area/city is like and how affordable it is? Any info on salary also? Thanks.

DoctorG

15+ Year Member
        Mar 27, 2003
        Detroit Michigan
        1. Attending Physician
          Justin4563 said:
          I heard the chairwoman is a r acist...

I just interviewed there not long ago. The consensus among all of us that interviewed on the same day was that she was not a very friendly person. I'm black and she did not make any remark suggesting racism. The program director is a black woman and they also have quite a few black residents. I personally like this program but I heard that you should be prepared to work really really.... really hard (which is not necessarily a bad thing). BUT working really really... really hard + racism, that's a different story!

impetigo

Anesthesia Resident
          10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Nov 17, 2004
          USA
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            DoctorG said:
            I just interviewed there not long ago. The consensus among all of us that interviewed on the same day was that she was not a very friendly person. I'm black and she did not make any remark suggesting racism. The program director is a black woman and they also have quite a few black residents. I personally like this program but I heard that you should be prepared to work really really.... really hard (which is not necessarily a bad thing). BUT working really really... really hard + racism, that's a different story!

I hear that they have nice facilities? True or false?

palabra

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Nov 20, 2004
              I liked the PD. Seemed friendly enough and the Chair was really nice. My concern was that the two residents that I met that day were really not happy with life. I don't know if they just weren't happy people in general or if they were just having a bad day.

The hospital is really nice. Pretty new. Baltimore is being revitalized and the inner harbor is really cool. Plus the hospital is down the street from Ravens stadium and close to Camden Yards.

Chillio

10+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Nov 19, 2001
              Maryland
                B_ADAMS said:
                Did any of you that interviewed at U of M, get a letter about how you stood with the program and the match?

I'm headed there this summer. I remember getting a letter that they were interested in me. I didn't get something saying exactly where I stood but that is illegal anyway I believe.

About the Ads
                This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.