university of maryland Baltimore (Entering 2015)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
85 PCAT 3.4 GPA two years pharmacy experience no degree. I was really surprised to hear back so quickly. I felt like I had a really good interview though.

Congrats! A good interview really makes a big difference. I had a 2.79 GPA with a 98th %ile PCAT. My low GPA was a red flag, but I think my interview really helped me out. I got lucky in each part of the interview. I was interviewed by a faculty member who grew up in the same town as I did in Texas, and she and I both went to undergrad in Los Angeles. We were able to bond over similar life paths and motivations. In the student interview, I was interviewed by a former engineering student, and I too had previously pursued engineering. We were able to talk about that and our transition to pharmacy. The group activity went really well too. I really appreciated the holistic approach to admissions that the school takes. My last 30 units had been a 4.0, but I had racked up so many units of terrible grades in engineering when I wasn't trying. My grades in pharmacy school are strong, and I perform well compared to my peers. I've really found a place I can thrive academically, and I wouldn't have had that opportunity if the AdCom didn't take a chance on a 2.79 GPA. I think the interview plays a big role in the holistic assessment.

Do you think Univ. of Maryland will be the school you'll attend? Where are you from?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to hear that, but you have to do what's best for you. I've been able to reduce my debt by working and applying for scholarships. The past 2 years I've been able to earn $12k in scholarships (most of it not through UMB) and $18k in income (from working in a pharmacy and from research). It's possible to reduce costs this way, and I strongly recommend putting in effort to do so, regardless of where you go.
Wow that's really great! This is encouraging. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you said that living on campus is a popular option;but, do many people live off campus as well? I sort of remember, at my interview, people saying an equal amount of students live on campus as off campus. Is that true? Also what are some popular neighborhoods student live in off campus. I remember someone saying Mount Vernon and Federal Hill, but are there any other popular areas?

I know you said that living on campus is a popular option;but, do many people live off campus as well? I sort of remember, at my interview, people saying an equal amount of students live on campus as off campus. Is that true? Also what are some popular neighborhoods student live in off campus. I remember someone saying Mount Vernon and Federal Hill, but are there any other popular areas?

Yes, many people live off campus. Some people live much further out in various suburbs. Some live downtown near inner harbor, some live near school, some live just west of MLK (Pigtown). There are also people who live in Ridgley's Delight, Canton, Fells Point and Locust Point. Really you can live anywhere.

Within a 10 min walk of school, we have the following more popular places:

Some nicer apartment buildings that aren't university housing include Camden Court, Redwood, Sail Cloth Building, and Avalon. There are some nice row homes in Ridgley's. There are some larger homes a little farther away over at Roundhouse Court and Camden Crossing (still walking distance).

This one is difficult. There are plenty of housing options. Your budget and your preferences/priorities will largely drive this decision. You can live close to campus and pay more in rent than living further out and commuting (though you'll need a car and a parking permit). You can live west of MLK, and find cheaper housing with more space. Though that comes at the expense of living slightly further from campus and being in a slightly less well lit/safe area. There are several nice apartment buildings with all the amenities, and there are houses that are good for sharing a space with roommates. University housing (apartments) is a popular choice. What kind of price range are you looking at and what are your values for housing? If you don't feel comfortable answering here, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the reply. I sent you a PM because I don't want to take over this thread with my many questions. :)

Has anyone sent their deposit yet and if so have you heard if they have received it?

Sorry to hear that, but you have to do what's best for you. I've been able to reduce my debt by working and applying for scholarships. The past 2 years I've been able to earn $12k in scholarships (most of it not through UMB) and $18k in income (from working in a pharmacy and from research). It's possible to reduce costs this way, and I strongly recommend putting in effort to do so, regardless of where you go.
Hello do you mind sharing how you got those scholarships if they were not through your university. Thank you

Where do you work? And how many hours a week?

Has anyone sent their deposit yet and if so have you heard if they have received it?
I sent my deposit last Wednesday and got an email from Ms. Sharp today stating that she received it.

Great! Got an interview, now what steps can we take to prepare? [Besides being ourselves we need to prepare answers loool] can yall direct me to peoples experiences and types of qs that came up?

Members don't see this ad :)
Great! Got an interview, now what steps can we take to prepare? [Besides being ourselves we need to prepare answers loool] can yall direct me to peoples experiences and types of qs that came up?

Congrats! My interview experience was really good. It was a very comfortable atmosphere and my interviewers were great. There were about 20 other interviewees. we were given a schedule of where we would be going throughout the day. First we had a very short orientation then the group split up according to the schedule. I had my essay first, this was the worst part of the interview in my opinion lol. Then I had my interview with a faculty member and after that an interview with two students. I really enjoyed both interviews, they asked basic questions like why pharmacy, if one of your group members were slacking of what would you do, describe your pharmacy experience if any etc. Just look at the questions in the interview feedback page for UMB, those helped me out a lot. After my interviews, I had a group project/presentation, which was actually fun. That was basically it. Just be confident in yourself, that's what helped me. If you're passionate about pharmacy express it has much as you can. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! My interview experience was really good. It was a very comfortable atmosphere and my interviewers were great. There were about 20 other interviewees. we were given a schedule of where we would be going throughout the day. First we had a very short orientation then the group split up according to the schedule. I had my essay first, this was the worst part of the interview in my opinion lol. Then I had my interview with a faculty member and after that an interview with two students. I really enjoyed both interviews, they asked basic questions like why pharmacy, if one of your group members were slacking of what would you do, describe your pharmacy experience if any etc. Just look at the questions in the interview feedback page for UMB, those helped me out a lot. After my interviews, I had a group project/presentation, which was actually fun. That was basically it. Just be confident in yourself, that's what helped me. If you're passionate about pharmacy express it has much as you can. Good luck to you!

Hi what interview feedback page?

I went in for an interview. Everybody makes you feel soo relaxed.
1. Group Evaluation based on an ethical issue with a PowerPoint presentation.
2. 2 or 3 questions based on scenarios.
3. Student panel questions
4. Faculty interview.

The best advice honestly is to be yourself, be able to answer why pharmacy? And why UMD?

also practice speaking with a passionate or enthusiastic tone and allow the interviews to be more conversational than question/answer

I went in for an interview. Everybody makes you feel soo relaxed.
1. Group Evaluation based on an ethical issue with a PowerPoint presentation.
2. 2 or 3 questions based on scenarios.
3. Student panel questions
4. Faculty interview.

The best advice honestly is to be yourself, be able to answer why pharmacy? And why UMD?

also practice speaking with a passionate or enthusiastic tone and allow the interviews to be more conversational than question/answer

When did you in go for the interview?

Got my acceptance on Thursday too! I was a little shocked because they said that we would know in April and a few would know in March but, it's definitely a great surprise!

When did you interview with them? Just trying to figure how long it takes?

I'm waiting for a hopefully good response.

I went in on Monday, took about 3.5 hrs total excluding tour

GPA:2.74
PCAT:97
Out of State
Accepted: Baltimore Campus! (Interviewed 2/16)

Last edited:
I interviewed on Monday 2/16, and was just accepted. I chose Baltimore campus.
I am Out of State (Virginia)
GPA: 3.59
PCAT: 78

GPA: 4.0
PCAT: 97
Maryland
Accepted:banana:(interviewed 2/16)Baltimore campus
c u guys in august

Where's everybody from that has been accepted thus far? I'm so excited to meet all of you.

Ughh.. I applied back in September 2014 to enter this fall 2015. My PHARMCAS & everything is up to date. I still have not received an email for an interview invite. My PCAT score was okay, but I have a lot of experience in research and a really good GPA. The wait is killing me. :shrug: I'm trying to stay positive Mrs. Sharpe said that my application is still under review... Hopefully I hear from them soon. This school is my first choice.

Is there a facebook page? I need roommates rent is near campus is NOT cheap.

Is there a facebook page? I need roommates rent is near campus is NOT cheap.
I haven't seen any Facebook page yet. I'm trying to find cheap rent too. Hopefully they make the Facebook page soon!

2/16 interviewed
2/19 accepted Baltimore Camp.
GPA: 3.55
PCat: 90 percentile

Interviewed 1/24
Accepted 1/29 Bmore campus
GPA 3.9
PCAT 98
In-state

Ughh.. I applied back in September 2014 to enter this fall 2015. My PHARMCAS & everything is up to date. I still have not received an email for an interview invite. My PCAT score was okay, but I have a lot of experience in research and a really good GPA. The wait is killing me. :shrug: I'm trying to stay positive Mrs. Sharpe said that my application is still under review... Hopefully I hear from them soon. This school is my first choice.
What is your GPA and PCAT?

After my deposit check was received and confirmed by Ms. Sharp, did anyone get any other emails about what to do next?

What are some of the more affordable off campus apartments?

After my deposit check was received and confirmed by Ms. Sharp, did anyone get any other emails about what to do next?
Not yet. I think they said they would send us scholarship apps after the deposit was received? But still haven't seen anything

anyone who interviewed on 2/16 get in any day other than 2/19?

I interviewed on 2/27 and have not received any word from them. Anyone hear from them recently?

I interviewed on 2/27 and have not received any word from them. Anyone hear from them recently?
Since there have not been multiple posts about people getting in I would just wait.

I interviewed on Feb 16th but still no word.... MD is my first choice....sighs
Congrats to those that were accepted!....

I interviewed on Feb 16th but still no word.... MD is my first choice....sighs
Congrats to those that were accepted!....
Keep your hopes up I was at the morning interview

Hello everyone,
I'm still waiting to hear from the school since my interview in early february and starting to think that my application has been rejected since it's been so long....:(
Anybody with good news?

Last edited:
Hi all,

I just want to remind everyone that the bulk of admissions decisions (regardless of when you interviewed) are made in late March/early April. The school wants to make sure they evaluate all applicants before filling the majority of seats. If you're concerned, I recommend you check out threads from previous years to get a rough timeline of the admissions process.

Best of luck!

Hi all,

I just want to remind everyone that the bulk of admissions decisions (regardless of when you interviewed) are made in late March/early April. The school wants to make sure they evaluate all applicants before filling the majority of seats. If you're concerned, I recommend you check out threads from previous years to get a rough timeline of the admissions process.

Best of luck!

Thank you! That brings my hopes up :)

Hi all,

Best of luck!
Thanks!