University of Maryland: Baltimore Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you guys~~ Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed the morning of March 11, 2013 and just got my acceptance today!!! (3/21/2013) I called up and asked to be admitted to the Baltimore campus!! I am SO excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTEDDDD!!! Just got accepted yesterday!! Also interviewed March 11th.

Good luck to everyone!!

CTY- did you interview in the morning or the afternoon?

ahh thats awesome!! I decided I will definitely be attending!! :) what's your name?

ACCEPTEDDDD!!! Just got accepted yesterday!! Also interviewed March 11th.

Good luck to everyone!!

Congratulations to you all! I interviewed in on 3/11 as well but i haven't heard from them. My stats are not that great GPA 3.6 PCAT 64

Congratulations to you all! I interviewed in on 3/11 as well but i haven't heard from them. My stats are not that great GPA 3.6 PCAT 64

They look at the whole package luckily. Your GPA is nearly a whole point higher than my 2.70, and I got in back in late February after interviewing in early February. My PCAT was higher, but my point is, don't worry right now. Your stats were high enough to make them think that you are a capable Pharmacy student. If your stats weren't okay, they wouldn't have extended an interview to you.

It's been less than 3 weeks since you interviewed. Give it time, and good luck!

ahh thats awesome!! I decided I will definitely be attending!! :) what's your name?

Haha you beat me to it...I was going to add you on fb since I just joined the fb group. Look forward to meeting you! :)

Don't lose hope! My stats aren't that great that's why I was pleasantly surprised to hear back from them. Majority of their decisions are made in April so hang in there!

So excited to meet you also!! (Again!! haha)

And same here everyone- I was very very very nervous. So much so that I applied to 12 schools. I re-took the PCAT in January 2013 and did MUCH better.. not as well as the majority of people of SDN, but I am very proud of what I got. My GPA isnt amazing either.

The PLUS- I have experience working in a retail Pharmacy and, in my opinion, that really helped.

Those of you who are worried: dont be!!! Its so true that Maryland looks at the whole applicant.

The majority of their applicants are accepted in late April, so dont give up hope!! I honestly think a total of 20 people have been accepted, IF THAT. (and even some people are saying they are waiting to hear from other schools still)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys for your support. i shouldn't be worried anyway:) i will patiently wait...if no good news from them i'm going to UMES

So excited to meet you also!! (Again!! haha)

And same here everyone- I was very very very nervous. So much so that I applied to 12 schools. I re-took the PCAT in January 2013 and did MUCH better.. not as well as the majority of people of SDN, but I am very proud of what I got. My GPA isnt amazing either.

The PLUS- I have experience working in a retail Pharmacy and, in my opinion, that really helped.

Those of you who are worried: dont be!!! Its so true that Maryland looks at the whole applicant.

The majority of their applicants are accepted in late April, so dont give up hope!! I honestly think a total of 20 people have been accepted, IF THAT. (and even some people are saying they are waiting to hear from other schools still)

Thanks, I waspatiently waiting for UMD but gave up now.

Congratulations to everyone that got accepted thus far!! I'm excited to meet the incoming class :)

If anyone still has any questions about anything, feel free to message me.

I recieved my acceptance letter yesterday morning! good luck to everyone applying!!

Does anybody know the best places to live around the area?

Three basic options: on-campus (apartment style), off campus (apartment style) and off campus (houses).

On campus housing is convenient (it is at most 1 block from school) so rolling out of bed 15 minutes from 9 am class is actually do-able. It is also quite secure (notably Fayette Square). You will also have the opportunity to meet people from other schools (medicine, dentistry, nursing, law, social work) and make non-pharmacy friends... a very understated benefit. Downside? Cost. It is quite expensive and you could end up paying almost twice as much for a comparable place off campus.

Off campus apartments in the area are largely located within a 10-15 minute walk to school. If you google map it, find Eutaw St and from Pratt up to Fayette, apartments line the street. Pros? Cheaper. Cons? You have to find a roommate to keep it affordable and you won't really get to know your neighbors who may or may not be students.

Off campus houses are located to the west (across MLK as far south as washington blvd aka Barre circle) and to the south in the area called Ridgeley's delight (again, google map it). This is the most economical option, but again, only if you find roommates... plus its a whole house.

If you choose the latter options, though Craigslist is an acceptable place to start, I recommend looking for a roommate at the June Welcome Day if you can make it. Its not mandatory and they will go over the same material in August at orientation, but if you can afford it, spend a night in Baltimore, scope out the city after the event, go out with current and future classmates, etc. If you're going to be stuck with the same 160 people for 4 years, might as well get to know them!

Reactions: 1 user
Just received an email acceptance letter today. Interviewed in Mar 15. Maryland really does look at the entire applicant. I was surprised I got in with a sub 3.0 gpa but I guess I really sold myself in the interview.

For anyone who is waiting,make sure to check the junk mail. My acceptance letter was there.

Just received an email acceptance letter today. Interviewed in Mar 15. Maryland really does look at the entire applicant. I was surprised I got in with a sub 3.0 gpa but I guess I really sold myself in the interview.

hi, i also interviewed on the march 15, My name is Emmanuel. what is your name?

My name is the guy that gave you a ride to the airport :)

Haha!!! :):):):)

i told you that you were gonna get in with that crazily high pcat of yours. anyway i guess you and i will be great bodies. send me your number to my inbox

:laugh:

dont worry guys, i interviewed back in feb and just heard that i was accepted yesterday!! i think they just started emailing people, now i have to choose between Jefferson and Maryland????? most likely Maryland because it is an awesome school

dont worry guys, i interviewed back in feb and just heard that i was accepted yesterday!! i think they just started emailing people, now i have to choose between Jefferson and Maryland????? most likely Maryland because it is an awesome school

Jefferson and MD were my top two choices too but I'm going to go to MD because
1., Tuition at UMD is about $14,000 less per year compared to Jefferson (a savings of nearly $60K over the course of the program)
2., UMD has multiple dual-degree pathways and numerous opportunities for research, both of which I'm interested in. Jefferson doen't offer any dual degree programs at the moment. 3., UMD has a tutoring/learning center, Jefferson does not. I don't know about you, but I've found tutoring centers very helpful, especially when you can't reach the professor or their office hours simply doesn't work and
4, UMD has a fantastic library. I was really disappointed and quite frankly, turned off by the library at Jeff. For such a big health sciences university, the library is very small, cramped, and old and can only fit a few students at a time. It's also open with no walled off rooms for private/group study - it's all open. Really, Jefferson's library was a major negative for me.

Has anyone's deposit check been cashed in yet ? I sent mine in about a month ago..

I got the acceptance email a couple of days ago as well!
I want to know how the classes are presented at Shady Grove. Will the main classes be streamed directly to Shady Grove while the classroom instruction is happening in Baltimore? or is it just posted online sometime later in the day?
Here is what it says on the Frequently Asked Questions page: "Students on either campus can choose to attend lectures at the Baltimore campus or watch the online recording of the lecture"

Thanks

Officially withdrew my Baltimore seat. Good luck for those waiting.

@cgoog90

I'm guessing you're going to Shady Grove? :)

The lectures are all livestream via satellite but they are also recorded. So while the professor is lecturing, the SG students are also to see the lecture live through the livestream camera. All students, Baltimore or Shady Grove, are able to access these recorded lectures through their student account.

What the question/answer means is that just because you go to Shady Grove, it doesn't mean you aren't allowed to go to Baltimore to see the lectures in person. You are more than welcome to go to Baltimore but you are required to take your exams and lab at your home campus (whichever campus you chose to attend). You cannot alternate campuses when it comes to exams and labs.

Last edited:
Jefferson and MD were my top two choices too but I'm going to go to MD because
1., Tuition at UMD is about $14,000 less per year compared to Jefferson (a savings of nearly $60K over the course of the program)
2., UMD has multiple dual-degree pathways and numerous opportunities for research, both of which I'm interested in. Jefferson doen't offer any dual degree programs at the moment. 3., UMD has a tutoring/learning center, Jefferson does not. I don't know about you, but I've found tutoring centers very helpful, especially when you can't reach the professor or their office hours simply doesn't work and
4, UMD has a fantastic library. I was really disappointed and quite frankly, turned off by the library at Jeff. For such a big health sciences university, the library is very small, cramped, and old and can only fit a few students at a time. It's also open with no walled off rooms for private/group study - it's all open. Really, Jefferson's library was a major negative for me.
ya i completely agree, the only thing that i liked about Jefferson was that the rotations were implemented in the schedule, but i was very disappointed by their lack of facilities and small campus, and the min 3.0 is unappealing as well. in any case, i think Maryland is a great school and 9th in the country with a bigger campus and much better facilities. plus recorded lectures is great for people like me who cram every now and then

Thanks for the response sba145. I was considering Shady Grove but I just emailed in my preference as Baltimore.

ya i completely agree, the only thing that i liked about Jefferson was that the rotations were implemented in the schedule, but i was very disappointed by their lack of facilities and small campus, and the min 3.0 is unappealing as well. in any case, i think Maryland is a great school and 9th in the country with a bigger campus and much better facilities. plus recorded lectures is great for people like me who cram every now and then

When? Not 17th?

They are both good schools, just oranges and apples.

Jefferson is small. New. Started as a medical school. Pending the new class to be fully accreditated. They incorporated IPPE into their weekly schedule; one of the only programs in the country to initiate that move, instead of having the whole summer for IPPE. Imagine using what you learn from class actively every week. Smaller school means lower student-faculty ratios; also means you get to know professors on a more personal level/more opportunities to do research/clinical practices/QnA's.

UMD is bigger. More established. Slightly competitive within student activities (less chances for students to run positions in org's and clubs). Interactive student/faculty governing bodies.

I'd suggest you, if you have the time, to visit both schools and see the student life/classroom experience before you attend. After all, your choice will determine your next four years of your life.

I got the acceptance email a couple of days ago as well!
I want to know how the classes are presented at Shady Grove. Will the main classes be streamed directly to Shady Grove while the classroom instruction is happening in Baltimore? or is it just posted online sometime later in the day?
Here is what it says on the Frequently Asked Questions page: "Students on either campus can choose to attend lectures at the Baltimore campus or watch the online recording of the lecture"

Thanks

Depending on the class, lectures are either recorded and uploaded within an hour of the recording or ran synchronous to allow participation, or combination of both. As you progress on with the curriculum, more and more classes will be synchronous to facilitate participation from both campuses (Pharmacotherapy cases, abilities labs).

I certainly do not feel that you are by any mean disadvantaged by being a Shady Grove student. True, you are removed from the faculty members but it so easy, if you want to, to just go to the Baltimore campus and interact with the faculty members (and even do research with them). Plus, we have own our faculty members down here. All in all, Shady Grove students have been very successful in my class with 20% (versus 13% in Baltimore) of us being inducted into Rho Chi (the honor society) my year and 4 of the 7 Johns Hopkins Clinical Track positions going to Shady Grove students.

The education is the same; the only major difference is the learning style...those are Shady Grove tend to be more independent and self-motivated.

Accepted!
I'm choosing Baltimore campus. Is anyone looking around for off-campus housing; any info will be great?

hey, just wondering - were ya on the waitlist before you got your acceptance?

Not that I know of. I interviewed on the first set of dates in Jan. and they did say the majority of decisions will be made in April.

Hey, I was on the same group that was interviewed on Jan 26th. When did you find out that you have been accepted and how much is the deposit. also did they gave you option on which campus you might want to attend. thanks.

Hey, I was on the same group that was interviewed on Jan 26th. When did you find out that you have been accepted and how much is the deposit. also did they gave you option on which campus you might want to attend. thanks.

found out feb 20th. $800. due march 8th.

800, damn. That's a lot. I gave up on waiting for them.

I got in on Friday after interviewing on February 18. Look forward to meeting everyone this summer!

You should call them and see if they'll give you your check back.

Best of luck!
Lol I don't want to cause it's non refundable I wonder what happen to it..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

Ahh perhaps I'll call them tomorrow. :p

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

I declined my spot already. Did not pay the $800. Great school. But I changed my mind.

I doubt they'll give back your check. They'll definitely tell you it's Non-refundable. Admissions make a lot of cash every year. (Harvard with over $2 million just from application fee.)

I declined my spot already. Did not pay the $800. Great school. But I changed my mind.

I doubt they'll give back your check. They'll definitely tell you it's Non-refundable. Admissions make a lot of cash every year. (Harvard with over $2 million just from application fee.)

accepted students: what was your deadline to reply by?