University of Maryland c/o 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hana 2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else is applying to UMD? Anyone hear anything back yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I did. Haven't gotten anything ther than a "we got your application, please be patient" email.

Did you do ED? I didn't and I figured that's why I haven't gotten much.

I did. Haven't gotten anything ther than a "we got your application, please be patient" email.

Did you do ED? I didn't and I figured that's why I haven't gotten much.
Yes, I did ED, but I got the same email as you, and they also said "interviews for ED will be taking place September 29th and October 13th."
Maybe they review the regular applications after they done with EDs.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you guys mind sharing your stats?
I just took pcat yesterday and not sure whether I should retake it or not.
do you guys know what is the average pcat score for UMD??

PM'd you my PCAT scores.

I looked it up, the average composite PCAT score admitted in 2016 was 81.6% and a GPA of 3.43.

Lots of Maryland info here:
https://www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu/media/SOP/wwwpharmacyumarylandedu/about/info/factsheet.pdf

thank you for your msg.
i am concerning because all my stats are about the average but i don't have any experience in pharmacy.
(just medical and dental, and research about drug development)
so I am not sure if I should retake pcat in october or not.

If you're hitting the averages, you'll probably get an interview.

However, the lack of pharmacy experience may be brought up during the interview, so have a response prepared for that. Your drug development research is something you should stress as a part of your pharmacy interests.

thank you for your msg.
i am concerning because all my stats are about the average but i don't have any experience in pharmacy.
(just medical and dental, and research about drug development)
so I am not sure if I should retake pcat in october or not.
Don't worry about the experience. Two of my friends got into UMD last year with PCAT score of 85 and 92 Percentile without any pharmacy experience.

Got an invitation to interview this morning for the 6th or 13th of Oct.

Hana 2017, sent you my stats and info over PM.

One reason why I may be "desirable" is because I'm from Oregon and may offer some of that "geographic diversity." The only two schools I have interviews with at the moment are on the east coast and I suspect that's what's going on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else received an interview aside from oregonian19? I applied for early decision and I contacted UMB through the phone and two days ago and was told no emails had been sent out for any interviews on tuesday. I have emailed them asking when is the last date, however no response was received.

Last edited:
I applied regular decision on 10/13; app was verified on 10/19.

Has anyone who didn't apply ED hear back from UMD yet?

EDIT: Got an interview invite today! Anyone else?

Last edited:
I did the Monday after my interview, but I ultimately declined.

Deposit was too high in comparison to others, Baltimore as a whole was kind of meh, and there was little effort at the interview to talk up the program and appeal to applicants (seemed like they had an ego about them).

I did the Monday after my interview, but I ultimately declined.

Deposit was too high in comparison to others, Baltimore as a whole was kind of meh, and there was little effort at the interview to talk up the program and appeal to applicants (seemed like they had an ego about them).

Do you mind sharing what school you chose over UMD/where else you applied?

I'm from Baltimore (but moved away this year) and interviewed last Friday. I noticed the same thing... they didn't seem to try to show why their school would be a good choice for us as students. They were friendly, but compared to the other two schools I've interviewed at, they definitely didn't seem to try to talk their program up.

I applied to 9 schools overall. Declined to attend 3 interviews, have gone to 4 interviews, going to 1 in January, and waiting on 1 more to get back to me.

Of the ones I have/will interview with:
-Oregon State: accepted
-SUNY Buffallo: accepted
-UM, Baltimore: accepted
-U. of Colorado: accepted
-U. of Washington: interview 1/9

Also waiting on U. of Texas.

Of the schools I have interviewed with, Colorado is my top choice. They did a great job talking up their program and resources available to students. I also loved the campus, Denver, and appreciated the small scholarship they gave me.

However, I'm going to wait and see what happens with Washington and Texas before I commit fully.

Last edited:
I applied to 9 schools overall. Declined to attend 3 interviews, have gone to 4 interviews, going to 1 in January, and waiting on 1 more to get back to me.

Of the ones I have/will interview with:
-Oregon State: accepted
-SUNY Buffallo: accepted
-UM, Baltimore: accepted
-U. of Colorado: accepted
-U. of Washington: interview 1/9

Also waiting on U. of Texas.

Of the schools I have interviewed with, Colorado is my top choice. They did a great job talking up their program and resources available to students. I also loved the campus, Denver, and appreciated the small scholarship they gave me.

However, I'm going to wait and see what happens with Washington and Texas before I commit fully.
what's your stats ?

-3.50 GPA, biochem major
-87th percentile PCAT
-Certified/licensed pharm tech
-Volunteer at a free clinic pharmacy
-Honors college
-Work in a biology lab
-UG thesis project
-Member of student health advisory committee at my university

-3.50 GPA, biochem major
-87th percentile PCAT
-Certified/licensed pharm tech
-Volunteer at a free clinic pharmacy
-Honors college
-Work in a biology lab
-UG thesis project
-Member of student health advisory committee at my university
These are good stats. I got waitlisted for most of the places i applied to...

I just got an acceptance email this morning! My interview was on 12/1.

PCAT Comp – 84
Bio – 73
Chem – 86
Quant – 85
Reading – 82

PharmCAS GPA – 2.86 (have 5 F’s in there dragging me down, explained in my personal statement)
Pre-req GPA – 3.75-ish

My GPA for the past year (since I started back in school full time) is 3.76 over 34 credits in two semesters – definite upward trend

No college degree

7 years active military as an intelligence analyst (5 F’s were due to deploying during online classes; lost internet access and was unable to drop)

1728 hours as a retail pharm tech

8 hours shadowing at Johns Hopkins

A few hours of volunteer work with an organization that repurposes medical equipment/supplies for use in developing countries

About two years as a standby volunteer for the Maryland Responds Medical Reserve Corps

8 hours volunteering at the Notre Dame of Maryland University School of Pharmacy for a POD exercise

I'm from Maryland and did a lot of my pre-reqs at a community college outside of Baltimore, but applied as an out of state student (moved to another state in May) and starting this past summer my classes have been at a 4-year state school. I'm done with my pre-reqs, but I'm spending this school year taking extra classes like pharmacology, medicinal chemistry, biochemistry, gross anatomy, and pathology, full time, just for my own interest.

The pharmacy I worked at is also literally down the street from UMD and I know several alum and current students, which I'm sure didn't hurt since they ask you to list people you know on the application.

PCAT Comp – 84
Bio – 73
Chem – 86
Quant – 85
Reading – 82

PharmCAS GPA – 2.86 (have 5 F’s in there dragging me down, explained in my personal statement)
Pre-req GPA – 3.75-ish

My GPA for the past year (since I started back in school full time) is 3.76 over 34 credits in two semesters – definite upward trend

No college degree

7 years active military as an intelligence analyst (5 F’s were due to deploying during online classes; lost internet access and was unable to drop)

1728 hours as a retail pharm tech

8 hours shadowing at Johns Hopkins

A few hours of volunteer work with an organization that repurposes medical equipment/supplies for use in developing countries

About two years as a standby volunteer for the Maryland Responds Medical Reserve Corps

8 hours volunteering at the Notre Dame of Maryland University School of Pharmacy for a POD exercise

I'm from Maryland and did a lot of my pre-reqs at a community college outside of Baltimore, but applied as an out of state student (moved to another state in May) and starting this past summer my classes have been at a 4-year state school. I'm done with my pre-reqs, but I'm spending this school year taking extra classes like pharmacology, medicinal chemistry, biochemistry, gross anatomy, and pathology, full time, just for my own interest.

The pharmacy I worked at is also literally down the street from UMD and I know several alum and current students, which I'm sure didn't hurt since they ask you to list people you know on the application.

Oh well that is very impressive. Have my interview in jan... Kinda worried now, got waitlisted for most of the places I applied too. Have you decided where you want to go ?

Not yet; I also found out today I got into Minnesota, but not the campus I want/need. I submitted a request for them to reassign me, though, but if I don't get reassigned, I'll have to decline my acceptance there.

Not yet; I also found out today I got into Minnesota, but not the campus I want/need. I submitted a request for them to reassign me, though, but if I don't get reassigned, I'll have to decline my acceptance there.
Yea, I saw your post in Minnesota's group. I also have an interview at Duluth in jan, although I wanted to go to twin cities. Did you apply to UNC?

Last edited:
Nope, I'm not a fan of North Carolina in general lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Just did the interview today ... lol