University of Maryland, College Park

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arjuna

Wielder of the Brahmastra
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I considered this school. Hahah

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
probably not. unless you go to an ivy league school, you aren't even a real person.

With good stats, ECs, and LORs could you get into a top four medical school, if you graduated from the University of Maryland, College Park. Do you know of any matriculants? Any statistics? I havent found a single person on MDApps who was accepted to a top four school from UMDCP. Any thoughts??

Yes, here is a thought: MDApps are worthless.

Contact the premed advising office at Maryland - they keep stats on where students applied and got accepted...

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean they give you an idea of what the cream of the crop looks like, right?

I just graduated from UMDCP, and know of several people going to top med schools such as Hopkins, Penn, etc.

Hmm, I went to UMCP and I went to Duke for medical school. (Duke was tied for 4th in the US News rankings the year I applied.)

Insightful reply. Hahah I love this debate

Last edited:
Hahah true. Very true. GO UPENN!!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your response. When was this? If you don't mind, that is. I dont want to tell you which school I like, because I am not sure at this point (maybe, maybe not) but that hardly matters until I go to college. How was the premed advisor? In general, is it looked upon as a rigorous school in terms of academics and research opportunities, etc?

EDIT: I love your reply. I really am in love with it.

I actually just graduated from Duke, so that was 2004. There was another student in my year that just graduated that got his degree from UM University College. There was a student the year after me from Maryland and there were two students admitted each of the past two years from Maryland (one is matriculating this year that I know of, I don't know about the others). I had solid stats (4.0, 37T), but as a white male, that doesn't place me far above the typical Duke matriculant.

UMCP is viewed as a solid school. It is not an Ivy, but the honors program has a good reputation. The premed classes at Maryland are the real deal. They do weed students out and they do prepare you for the MCAT. The upper level bios and biochem are very solid prep for medical school. The premed advisor I had sucked, but then they replaced him with a woman that I had my premed interview with and I thought she was phenomenal. There are definitely others in the college of life sciences that know the premed process well and can be solid advisors.

I actually just graduated from Duke, so that was 2004. There was another student in my year that just graduated that got his degree from UM University College. There was a student the year after me from Maryland and there were two students admitted each of the past two years from Maryland (one is matriculating this year that I know of, I don't know about the others). I had solid stats (4.0, 37T), but as a white male, that doesn't place me far above the typical Duke matriculant.

UMCP is viewed as a solid school. It is not an Ivy, but the honors program has a good reputation. The premed classes at Maryland are the real deal. They do weed students out and they do prepare you for the MCAT. The upper level bios and biochem are very solid prep for medical school. The premed advisor I had sucked, but then they replaced him with a woman that I had my premed interview with and I thought she was phenomenal. There are definitely others in the college of life sciences that know the premed process well and can be solid advisors.

I graduated from UMD in 2k, so things might have changed... But I'd have to agree with the assessment. UMD is a great school. In fact, the competitive level of the school is increasing each year. Do the best you can in your classes and find something you love to get involved with. You are more than the name of the school on your diploma.