University of Maryland Fall '12 Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Best of luck, STAR1526! I am pretty tired of La Jolla after 4 years :laugh:, but UCSD is a great school to attend as well.

I'm not sure if I'll end up in La Jolla since I'm still waiting to hear back from UCSF, but best of luck to you as well! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Best of luck, STAR1526! I am pretty tired of La Jolla after 4 years :laugh:, but UCSD is a great school to attend as well.

I'm sorry to hear! :( That was the case for me with UoP. Have you tried calling them?

Same thing happened to me with UoP. Their email ended up in my spam for some reason so call to make sure.

Called housing this morning and they said the 2br's at Pascault are already full :(
How are Fayette apartments? I've seen really positive reviews for it on here, but terrible ones over at apartmentratings.com...:confused:

ETA: I'm also interested in living off-campus, so if any females are looking for roomies, contact me! :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone,

I will be attending U of MD at the Shady Grove campus this fall and am looking for some potential roomates! Please let me know if you would be interested :)

Congrats to all those accepted! Do you guys mind sharing your stats? Just curious. pls and thank you

Congrats to all those accepted! Do you guys mind sharing your stats? Just curious. pls and thank you

B.S. in Physiological Science from UCLA (Class of 2011), 3.55 cumulative GPA, 3.39 science GPA, PCAT 80 composite. Research, community outreach, hospital, & pharmacy experience. :)

Has anyone gotten an official rejection letter yet? I turned in my supplemental in December and my pharmcas app was turned in before the January deadline. I have heard nothing from Maryland, except for the "do not reply, we have received your app" and another one saying "application received, applications under review". I've spent a lot of time and money on applications and like any other applicant, I would appreciate knowing one way or the other (though by now it's safe to assume I've been denied, since the last interview was March 2).

Try giving them a call or shooting them an e-mail. I know last year they sent out another batch of invites at the end of March, for an early April interview.

I am so thrilled to say that I have been accepted to University of Maryland Pharmacy School CLASS OF 2016 and will be at the Baltimore campus.

:love::thumbup: I could not be happier.

Anyone care to tell me offhand what Biochemistry and Pchem book UMB uses? Anyone know? They only have spring books listed on website now.

B.S. in Physiological Science from UCLA (Class of 2011), 3.55 cumulative GPA, 3.39 science GPA, PCAT 80 composite. Research, community outreach, hospital, & pharmacy experience. :)
thanks for replying. My stats are similar to yours with the exception of pharmacy experience. I guess I just have to hang tight and hope to hear back soon :)

I am so thrilled to say that I have been accepted to University of Maryland Pharmacy School CLASS OF 2016 and will be at the Baltimore campus.

Anyone care to tell me offhand what Biochemistry and Pchem book UMB uses? Anyone know? They only have spring books listed on website now.

Congrats!!!! When did you get your acceptance email pls?

Has anyone that interviewed in mid-February heard anything yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed Feb. 17th...haven't heard anything either...has anyone else who interviewed on Feb 17th heard anything?? Getting super nervous. I didn't know that it was done by date interviewed...I thought they reviewed everyone's before sending out acceptances. Correct me if I'm wrong please

I interviewed in January and I haven't heard anything yet.

I interviewed in January and I haven't heard anything yet.
you and me both buddy. Interviewed on January 27th and I thought the interview went really well. I guess I was wrong *shrugs*

:thumbup: Seriously hoping they're using my undergrad biochem book!

I interviewed Feb. 17th...haven't heard anything either...has anyone else who interviewed on Feb 17th heard anything?? Getting super nervous. I didn't know that it was done by date interviewed...I thought they reviewed everyone's before sending out acceptances. Correct me if I'm wrong please

I interviewed on the 17th as well and haven't heard anything either. I've been checking my email religiously every single day..

I wouldn't stress out too soon. They definitely emailed out acceptances in batches last year for our class as well. Also, people that interviewed early didn't necessarily hear back first, either. Be patient; if you think you've made a good case for yourself with both admission packet as well as interviews, then you're invite could still be coming. :)

This year, we used Berg, Tymoczko, and Stryer, ‘Biochemistry’ - Seventh Edition for Biochem.

I don't think we had a required textbook for Pharm Chem; most of our courses are taught and tested straight off lecture slides. As Mutiny mentioned earlier, our Pharm Chem here is definitely not what you'd think of traditionally. Like all our other undergrad 'review' classes, the curriculum is structured in a way that focuses on concepts that are more fundamental for understanding our later pharmacology and therapeutics courses. Granted, they do go over a lot of things that may have been covered in undergrad, but it isn't as comprehensive as you may think. They also emphasize theory that you may not have appreciated as much in undergrad as well. It's really up in the air, and you can't really prep for it.

Personally, I really enjoyed the way they taught the first semester, and I think you get a good sense of what you really need to take away from the basic science classes. Either way, don't fret too much about pre-studying for pharmacy school. Again, there's no way to anticipate what you're going to be learning here, so you should really just enjoy one of the last summers you'll ever have.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate that you have taken time to speak with us hopefuls and just accepted newbies.

Last edited:
I wouldn't stress out too soon. They definitely emailed out acceptances in batches last year for our class as well. Also, people that interviewed early didn't necessarily hear back first, either. Be patient; if you think you've made a good case for yourself with both admission packet as well as interviews, then you're invite could still be coming. :)

Thank you for the information. I'm extremely confident in my academics and my interview performance so I'll just try to be patient :laugh:

Is there a facebook group for the school or for class of 2016?

I was wondering the same thing about facebook!I got Accepted too!!I am sooooo excited. I interviewed in January and they let me know this past Tuesday.:):)

I got mine Tuesday also. I interviewed Jan 27th! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone

This year, we used Berg, Tymoczko, and Stryer, ‘Biochemistry' - Seventh Edition for Biochem.
:thumbup: YES! This is the text we used in my biochem series! :smuggrin: I have the 6e, but I don't think the editions vary much.

Personally, I really enjoyed the way they taught the first semester, and I think you get a good sense of what you really need to take away from the basic science classes. Either way, don't fret too much about pre-studying for pharmacy school. Again, there's no way to anticipate what you're going to be learning here, so you should really just enjoy one of the last summers you'll ever have.
Thanks for the input! If we're coming in without pharmtech experience, would you recommend learning the top 200 drugs this summer?

Congrats to everybody recently accepted! :) From the previous threads, it seems like the school actually sets up an official FB page, so I guess we'll just have to wait for that. For anybody interested about housing at Fayette, I got in touch with them today and the Camden/Raven 4 br's are all booked. Saratoga might still have spots.

Last edited:
FINALLY GOT MY ACCEPTANCE LETTER!!!! you best believe I'm attending. I will be at the Baltimore campus, and i was wondering if any current students could help me out:

I'm out of state and I'm looking to live off campus (preferably within walking distance to school). I have two small dogs I'm bringing with me so a pet friendly, safe area is what I'm looking at. I've heard Canton, mt Vernon, and fed hill r good places to start looking at. I want a 1 br but I'm willing to room with up to 2 other girls. Can anyone recommend any apt places that fit that criteria?? its really important for it to be safe because I will be walking my dogs at night. Thank you!!

When did you get your acceptance? Congratulations PCAT408. I look forward to meeting you at Baltimore June 6.

FINALLY GOT MY ACCEPTANCE LETTER!!!! you best believe I'm attending. I will be at the Baltimore campus, and i was wondering if any current students could help me out:

I'm out of state and I'm looking to live off campus (preferably within walking distance to school). I have two small dogs I'm bringing with me so a pet friendly, safe area is what I'm looking at. I've heard Canton, mt Vernon, and fed hill r good places to start looking at. I want a 1 br but I'm willing to room with up to 2 other girls. Can anyone recommend any apt places that fit that criteria?? its really important for it to be safe because I will be walking my dogs at night. Thank you!!

Congrats on your acceptance!

Camden Court (Where I currently live) Is a great fit for people with pets. I currently have two cats and moved here because campus is pet UNfriendly, We are 2 blocks from campus, 1 Block from Camden Yards and close to the Inner Harbor. It has options ranging from studio apts. All the way up to 3 bedrooms.

Note: Walking your dogs alone at night is not recommended no matter where you are in Baltimore. The city can be dangerous after dark, especially for girls.

Thanks for the input! If we're coming in without pharmtech experience, would you recommend learning the top 200 drugs this summer?

Anything Helps. In Abilities Lab you will be tested on the top 200 drugs in chunks of about 6 per week.
You will need to know:

Brand/Generic Name
Adult Dosing
Pediatric Dosing (If there is one)
Black Box Warnings
Contraindications

Last edited:
When did you get your acceptance? Congratulations PCAT408. I look forward to meeting you at Baltimore June 6.

Thanks! I got my acceptance letter march 6 however I was on a cruise when the email was sent so I am just now getting it.

Any other places pet friendly near campus? What are the safer neighborhoods? Also, on:average how long are P1 students on campus per day?

Any input is appreciated! I can't wait to meet my future classmates!

Also, on:average how long are P1 students on campus per day?

What are the safer neighborhoods?

I'm just going to LMAO to both of these questions.

But seriously, this particular block is filled with off-campus student housing and hotels. So it is well lit and safest place to live that is also close to the school. That being said you still have to be smart, such as walking in groups at night and not going too far out of the so-called safe areas near the hospital and the harbor. I'll re-emphasize this point again for the young ladies.

Apartments Located Here:

Malboro
Inner Harbor Lofts
Redwood
Camden Court
Avalon Centerpoint

Most are pet friendly but some limit the size and number of pets you can have.

As for how long you spend on campus.....Forever. No joke. There are people routinely sleeping on the couches in pH (Pharmacy Hall, and yes that's how we write it because we are geeks :) ). Expect to be on campus 12 or more hours per day if you plan on attending every class.

Back to the safety issue, the Campus Police and Shuttle Service will take you home at night if you live at any of the apts listed above.

Just out of curiosity was any male applicant accepted on March 6th? I know more than half of the applicants are females but regardless it seems like all those accepted (at least those that posted on SDN and the people I know personally) are all females.

So maybe UMB is accepting females first?? I'm aware how ludicrous this sounds lol but I'm just trying to figure out how acceptance letters being sent this year :)

I hope you were serious when asking this question. Assuming you were, here it goes...

I was accepted on March 6 and I am a male student. Also, I interviewed on January 28. I recieved the e-mail at around 10:30 am.

If anyone is looking for an off campus house, I know of some 4th year pharmacy students moving out and the house will be available starting June 1. Its located in Ridgeley's Delight (just a couple blocks from the hospital) on the safe side of MLK Blvd. It has a dedicated one car parking pad (though if you're a very good driver and one car isn't really being used, you can squeeze two small cars in. Its also one of the few houses in the area with a private roof deck (great for those post-exam day margaritas). Inside, it has three total bedrooms, 1.5 baths. Two of the bedrooms are on the 2nd floor, one of which has a very large closet. The bedroom on the 3rd floor has a walk in closet. As an added bonus, I think the guys living there now are willing to leave some of the furniture too if you want some of it. It'll just save them from having to throw it out. Its not the newest, most renovated house, but for the price, it really cant be beat. I don't remember what they pay for it, but its about 700/mo per person after utilities (water, electric, cable/internet) which given the location, the private deck and parking spot is a steal. As any current students will tell you, parking in Ridgeley's is hard! As an ADDED bonus, if you can sign a lease by the end of March, one of the current students (my friend) is also willing to give you his hand-me-down parking pass for a different garage in the area. If you don't drive often, its a secure place to keep your car for the time being (its a $75/mo value!). Lastly, the management company has hundreds of units, so they have their own dedicated handymen if anything breaks. They were prompt in fixing the toilet when it broke. The management guy is also very flexible and understanding about things (I think that's because they know that as grad students you aren't going to be the biggest pains in their ass, will pay rent on time, etc).

Congrats on your acceptance!

Camden Court (Where I currently live) Is a great fit for people with pets. I currently have two cats and moved here because campus is pet UNfriendly, We are 2 blocks from campus, 1 Block from Camden Yards and close to the Inner Harbor. It has options ranging from studio apts. All the way up to 3 bedrooms.

Note: Walking your dogs alone at night is not recommended no matter where you are in Baltimore. The city can be dangerous after dark, especially for girls.

Anything Helps. In Abilities Lab you will be tested on the top 200 drugs in chunks of about 6 per week.
You will need to know:

Brand/Generic Name
Adult Dosing
Pediatric Dosing (If there is one)
Black Box Warnings
Contraindications

my boyfriend is a realtor and can help you find a safe and pet friendly place to live in Baltimore.Message me if you want. I've also been accepted to Maryland for class of 2016 =)

As for how long you spend on campus.....Forever. No joke. There are people routinely sleeping on the couches in pH (Pharmacy Hall, and yes that's how we write it because we are geeks :) ). Expect to be on campus 12 or more hours per day if you plan on attending every class.

Either my sarcasm meter is broken or this is a gross exaggeration. Once you learn the ropes of class attendance and school involvement you'll figure out what works best for you. Some people literally live at Pharmacy Hall, while others you'll only see during labs or exams.

I'm just going to LMAO to both of these questions.

i'm glad you found my questions funny! but in all seriousness, i have to ask these kinds questions because i'm out of state and have only visited baltimore for less than 24 hours. thank you everyone for your input!

i wasn't sure if the school was going to set up a fb group or not so i went ahead and did it.. i hope to meet my future classmates soon!

Last edited:
i'm glad you found my questions funny! but in all seriousness, i have to ask these kinds questions because i'm out of state and have only visited baltimore for less than 24 hours. thank you everyone for your input!

i'm so excited i've created a fb group already!! i wasn't sure if the school was going to set it up or not so i went ahead and did it.. i hope to meet my future classmates soon!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/339038729466461/

You're Welcome

Whooooo! I got in! Can't wait to meet all you guys in the fall!

The school will set up the official facebook. Once they square away some other things, they will invite people to the group.

If I didn't hear back today...does that mean that I've either been placed on the waitlist or rejected? Or are more acceptances going to emailed out later on?

I know for a fact (well, based on what a friend in-the-know told me) that the admissions committee is still meeting. At least once if not two or three times more.

I know for a fact (well, based on what a friend in-the-know told me) that the admissions committee is still meeting. At least once if not two or three times more.
Thanks so much for letting us know that DrDrugs =)

I have another question...I guess it doesn't really matter at this point but I'm just curious...do you know if adcom goes back to review the entire file again (grades, extracurricular, etc) along with the interview to make their decisions, or are acceptances just based solely on the interviews at this point?
I'm asking cause I have a low GPA and am worried that it will still play a part in adcom's decision. Again, I know it doesn't matter at this point but I'm just jittery thinking about it.

got my acceptance this afternoon!!! looking forward to meeting you all soon!

I have another question...I guess it doesn't really matter at this point but I'm just curious...do you know if adcom goes back to review the entire file again (grades, extracurricular, etc) along with the interview to make their decisions, or are acceptances just based solely on the interviews at this point?
I'm asking cause I have a low GPA and am worried that it will still play a part in adcom's decision. Again, I know it doesn't matter at this point but I'm just jittery thinking about it.
I'm also an applicant so I'm not sure but I think at this point only the interview matters. I have fairly decent stats and ppl with about the same stats got accepted already while I'm still waiting to hear back. So I think your stats only get you an interview invite