PAgirl

10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I recently started considering this program as an option for residency. I'm looking for good training in a non-malignant program with the possibility of doing a fellowship. Their fellowship match list is extremely impressive. Any opinions are welcome.

LucidSplash

Bloody Plumber
10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I recently started considering this program as an option for residency. I'm looking for good training in a non-malignant program with the possibility of doing a fellowship. Their fellowship match list is extremely impressive. Any opinions are welcome.
I would consider it at least. Its a 7-year program. I would not consider it straight-up malignant but on a number of services it is very possible to exceed 80-hours. Powerhouse in trauma obviously. Very strong in MIS, vascular, and transplant (pretty sure they are trying like hell to catch up with Pitt on that last one - the service is extremely busy). Really, I don't see them as having any true "weak" spots.

That said, I didn't rank it #1, but mostly just because it wasn't a good fit for me. The PD is very accomplished and very strong but I don't click with her and it just didn't feel like a great fit.

Largely it depends on how you see yourself, your future goals, etc. For me I decided its a place I'd consider for fellowship but had other preferences for residency.

LucidSplash

Bloody Plumber
10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I should probably add that the residents here are of the "pretty much definitely doing a fellowship" variety. I know of exactly one resident in recent years who decided to do straight gen surg after residency and that individual caught some flack for it. Especially with Sarkar on board, this program is looking to be a research powerhouse and is not really all that interested in training people who do not want to go on to fellowship and thereafter be regularly researching/publishing surgeons. I'm not trying to infer this is a bad thing at all - just what you should be aware of when considering how good a fit you and the program might be for each other.

markhh10

10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Where do they go for their rotations? It seems to me they are missing Peds and Plastics?

Also what is your experience about the Prelims there? Do they end up staying on?

Thanks

LucidSplash

Bloody Plumber
10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Where do they go for their rotations? It seems to me they are missing Peds and Plastics?

Also what is your experience about the Prelims there? Do they end up staying on?

Thanks
As far as where rotations are done, that info is available on the website:

* University of Maryland Medical Center
* Baltimore Veterans Affairs Medical Center
* Baltimore Washington Medical Center
* John Hopkins Hospital
* Mercy Medical Center

Plastics: The Hopkins Plastics program is actually a joint Maryland-Hopkins program. There is an active plastics service at Maryland.

Peds: There is also an active Peds Surg service at Maryland which operates in conjuction with the Division of Ped Surg at Hopkins.

Honestly I can't speak to the prelims. There are approximately 1 billion (ok maybe like 20) of them and I never really knew who was designated and non-designated - I didn't ask.