University of Maryland: pros and cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

touchfish

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
- Can any current student at University of Maryland tell me the procs and cons about the school?

- Is it hard to find housing in Baltimore?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've lived in Baltimore since Fall 2002. The two times I've moved I found my apts. through the City Paper (www.citypaper.com). It's a great resource so check it out. Also, I currently live in Federal Hill which is considered South Baltimore. It's a great area with lots of young people, bars, restaurants, shops.

Cons:
It's in a bad neighborhood.
The campus doesn't like that nice. (My undergraduate campus was beautiful)
Tuition keeps increasing disproportionately to inflation
Parking's a pain.
Class load can make it difficult to participate in a lot of outside activities (volunteer work, family, friends, etc.)

Pros:
It's the only pharmacy school in Maryland, so you're in demand as a student and future pharmacist.
My class likes to help each other out.
Curriculum is pretty well thought out and even though first year is mostly basic science, professors still try to explain why they're relevant to pharmacy. 3rd year, everything comes together.
Faculty are pretty helpful and responsive to complaints regarding their courses or the curriculum.
Lots of organizations to be involved with.
Baltimore and D.C. have a lot of fun things to do when you're lucky not to be buried too deeply in studying or on rotations or working.

Housing:
Apply early for housing even if you don't know if you're accepted but want to live on campus. Best if you apply before February.
Housing around the area can run from $400/month to $1,200/month depending on how fancy you want to get or if you get roommates or how far away you're willing to commute to class everyday.