University of Maryland vs Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avhu10

Reaction score
Hi! So I’m lucky to have been accepted into 2 very great schools. A little bit of background: my life is in NYC and I’m currently interested in emergency med.

UMD Pros:
  • Location in Baltimore - I’ll be exposed to a lot of unique cases in the shock trauma center and be familiar w/ social determinants
  • Closer to family (SO lives in NJ)
  • Higher ranking ? By like 9 positions
  • I feel like this is the place for emergency med
  • Social justice track
Cons:
  • Expensive tuition
  • Might have to live with my parents for the first 2 years (they’re relocating for work)
Rochester pros:
  • Interesting curriculum: Latinx 4 year pathway, lots of programs in refugee/homeless outreach
  • Students and faculty are so supportive - my interviewer reached out to me after I got accepted. The school really seems to have more of a family vibe
  • Less expensive tuition
  • I wouldn’t have to live with my parents (they can be unbearable at times)
  • Interviewer said patients are nice and easy going
  • Problem based learning - this was a part of my interview and I loved it
  • More suburban areas
Cons:
  • Kinda far from family (6 hour drive/1 hour flight)
  • Unsure if it’s as good for emergency med since rochester is less of a city than Baltimore?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

What are the numbers for differences in COA?
62k for Rochester vs 66k for UMD, I think COL is lower for Rochester, but then again I’d be saving more if I lived with my parents. I’m also unsure if there’s that much of a difference in “prestige” between these schools since step 1 is p/f?

For whatever it's worth, I think of both schools solidly in the same tier. Other can chime in, but I can't imagine it would make a meaningful difference for EM opportunities. In general, the name of the school shouldn't sway your decision. Winter weather, distance from family (hard to tell if that's good or bad for you), general vibes/gut feelings, and amount of travel required for 3rd year clerkships should be key considerations with cost being relatively equal. I do think it's funny that they said the patients at Rochester are nice and easy going. Kind of a weird generalization to make, but hey maybe it's true.

For UMD, they would let you re-classify as “in-state resident” after your first year and if you meet their requirements (live there one year, have your car registered in MD, pay MD tax). Check their website or contact the financial aid office
UMD trauma base is top-notch