University of Maryland

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by I can't think of a name, Dec 11, 2001.

1. I can't think of a name

I can't think of a name Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello,

I was recently accepted to the University of Maryland and I was just wondering if there are any current students out there who could give me some feedback about their school - both good and bad! Thanks for any help that you can give and happy holidays :)

2. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

Hello, I am a second year here at the University of Maryland and I have mostly positive things to say about it. There is limited lecture time (2 hrs per day, with either small group or lab for another 2hrs per day), we get early clinical experience (1st years practice interviewing in a class called intro to clinical practice), and you get to practice making presentations in a class called PBL which is P/F. The facilities are excellent (you'll see when you visit), everything is very high tech, they do a lot over the computer and the school makes you purchase a very expensive laptop when you enroll so that you become computer competent. The only downside that I can think of is that it is in Baltimore city which is not a great city, and sometimes the bureaucracy (financial aid office, admissions office when I applied) is not too helpful. It's an excellent school, I noticed that your out of state but I know that it is possible to get in-state tuition if you go through their hoops which makes the school a real bargain too. We have a large patient population for 3rd and 4th year, most people don't know this but we actually have more patient beds then hopkins. We do have a number of California residents so I think that the school does attract some out of staters but it is mostly made up of Maryland residents.

3. I am a Maryland resident who was waitlisted after interview (it was my best set of interviews too!)and subsequently rejected from UMAB. Although I have some personal feelings toward the admissions office that aren't great, I worked there for 2 years, and took a class with the second years last spring, so I think I can offer some information. I see Maryland's strengths as the block curriculum (which makes life less stressful at times), the AWESOME hospital, the library and electronic resources that are available to students, and in-state tuition (which doesn't seem to apply to you). I also like Baltimore, though many people do not. The disadvantages of going to Maryland seem to be a more competitive atmosphere with a traditional letter grade system that has gone defunct at most schools, and as of a few years ago the board scores there were not great (with 10% of students failing). The students, like any other school, are a mixed bag, I know a few recent grads of Maryland that are very competitive and stressed out, but some of the people I know in CKent's class are very friendly and like to socialize a lot so it's hard to say.
    Anyway, if you are a MD resident, I would advise you to take advantage of the in-state tuition because it is a great school and it is very expensive to go to a private school. If you are an out-of-stater and have to choose between Maryland and a somewhat higher ranked private school (like Tufts, where I go); I'd personally go with the higher ranked private school. First of all, you would be one of a few CA residents at UMAB, but at Tufts there are all kinds of people from CA and I really like our diverse geographical representation (before anyone bites my head off, I'd just like to say that I don't look down on Maryland for their relative lack of geographical diversity, in fact I think they ought to take more MD residents!). Second, most other schools have H/P/F grading systems; I can't speak for how it affects anyone else, but I am so glad to be living by "P=M.D." and trying to have a life instead of stressing out over where I am ranked (Tufts does NOT rank its students for the first 2 years)among my classmates. there are other reasons I would pick Tufts as well as an out-of-stater, but I have to study Biochem and can't spend anymore time on here right now.
    If you have any questions about Tufts or UMAB please let me know. I am happy with Tufts, and am sure I would have enjoyed going to UMAB as well. Good luck!

4. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

5. I can't think of a name

I can't think of a name Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello,

Thank you CKent and Katie for your input on the University of Maryland (and also Katie for your input at my Case Western question)! I really appreciate all of your help and your information!

Once again, thanks!