University of Maryland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that ranked UMaryland -

Do you know how many people that they interviewed this year and how many PGY1s they are taking? What was your impression of the program compared to your #1?

I am just being nosy because I applied there and never heard a peep from them (but got interviews everywhere else incl JHU, MGH, Penn etc....). I really wanted to interview there because I was looking forward to visiting with some research collaborators that my lab has there. Maybe those collaborators don't like us as much as we like them?

Thanks for any insight--

Members don't see this ad.

i'm bumping this thread to see if anyone has info about the UMd program from this year. from the list of unfilled programs it looks like they only had 1 spot this year, and it went unfilled. that whole thing just strikes me as weird. did they have only 1 graduating senior this year? anyone know if they filled that spot? i ask because i have friends and family in baltimore and it'd be nice to maybe end up there, but i'm not into research (so nix JHU) and that leaves UMd, but their website doesn't provide a lot of info and that 0 for 1 this year makes me a little :confused: so perhaps one of ya'll have some more info on the UMd program and would like to share it with us (or just me via PM).

Do you know how many people that they interviewed this year and how many PGY1s they are taking? What was your impression of the program compared to your #1?

I am just being nosy because I applied there and never heard a peep from them (but got interviews everywhere else incl JHU, MGH, Penn etc....). I really wanted to interview there because I was looking forward to visiting with some research collaborators that my lab has there. Maybe those collaborators don't like us as much as we like them?

Thanks for any insight--

i'm bumping this thread to see if anyone has info about the UMd program from this year. from the list of unfilled programs it looks like they only had 1 spot this year, and it went unfilled. that whole thing just strikes me as weird. did they have only 1 graduating senior this year? anyone know if they filled that spot? i ask because i have friends and family in baltimore and it'd be nice to maybe end up there, but i'm not into research (so nix JHU) and that leaves UMd, but their website doesn't provide a lot of info and that 0 for 1 this year makes me a little :confused: so perhaps one of ya'll have some more info on the UMd program and would like to share it with us (or just me via PM).

Don't nix JHU simply based on your lack of interest in research. They traditionally don't train research oriented people and I think their diagnostic training is superb (second hand info).

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't nix JHU simply based on your lack of interest in research. They traditionally don't train research oriented people and I think their diagnostic training is superb (second hand info).

+1

my interview with the chair and PD at hopkins convinced me that they were there to train the best diagnosticians, and not researchers. not that they don't like research oriented people, it's just not their priority in terms of training path residents.

Thanks for any insight--

They did not interview people through the eras/match program this year... very strange if you ask me...

+1

my interview with the chair and PD at hopkins convinced me that they were there to train the best diagnosticians, and not researchers. not that they don't like research oriented people, it's just not their priority in terms of training path residents.

+2

A girl in my class matched to Path at JHU. She is in no way, shape, or form intending to do research or stay in academics.

+?

U Maryland (or rather one of their affiliated hospitals ) had some serious issues. I'm sure they would like to fix them but it doesn't not give a strong impression of the hospital right now

I had emailed their contact person last summer regarding their program. The email that I had received back said simply, "We do not have any openings for 2007." Nothing else. Also, I think that FREIDA listed them as having 0 positions available. In light of that, I was surprised to see that they had unmatched spots.

I had emailed their contact person last summer regarding their program. The email that I had received back said simply, "We do not have any openings for 2007." Nothing else. Also, I think that FREIDA listed them as having 0 positions available. In light of that, I was surprised to see that they had unmatched spots.

this is the kind of thing that makes me leery as a potential 2008 applicant. if anyone gets any more specific info, please share with the rest of us. i may call the program coordinator myself later in the summer and try to get some info and if i do i'll post here. thanks for the info, hooke.

That is good to know! I'm interested in Hopkins because it's not to far from my hometown. I actually might be interested in doing research during residency, but so far I have only done about six months and have no pubs, so I figured they wouldn't even consider me. Maybe I still have a chance! :love:

Good to know about the situation at U Maryland. Guess that crosses that one off the list.

spoke with someone at the UMd program today and got a bit of an explanation about the 2007 match. if someone wants the details, PM me and I'll share them with you, but to me, it was a legit explanation. legit enough that i plan to apply, and if granted an interview, go there and try to see things for myself. but if anyone else has any more thoughts overall on the program i'd be very interested in hearing them.

spoke with someone at the UMd program today and got a bit of an explanation about the 2007 match. if someone wants the details, PM me and I'll share them with you, but to me, it was a legit explanation. legit enough that i plan to apply, and if granted an interview, go there and try to see things for myself. but if anyone else has any more thoughts overall on the program i'd be very interested in hearing them.

I won't ask you to post it here, but I would be curious what the gist of what the explanation was...

and that said, I re-iterate what was I said before. There have been some issues at this program, and I would suggest that anyone going to interview there watch for warning signs. (of course you should watch for warning signs anywhere you go)

+2
A girl in my class matched to Path at JHU. She is in no way, shape, or form intending to do research or stay in academics.
+3

I have heard from a faculty member at JHU that the residents and residency at Hopkins are not particularly research oriented. I'd check it out mlw...

BH

+3

I have heard from a faculty member at JHU that the residents and residency at Hopkins are not particularly research oriented. I'd check it out mlw...

BH

thanks for the comments - i've done a little more research on the program since my post a few months ago, and i've found out that my earlier impressions were misguided. i'm definately going to apply to both UMd and JHU and if given interviews (hopefully around the same time - plane tix to BWI are $$$) i will go check them both out and judge for myself. thanks again. :thumbup:

+?

U Maryland (or rather one of their affiliated hospitals ) had some serious issues. I'm sure they would like to fix them but it doesn't not give a strong impression of the hospital right now

This comment is referring to Maryland General and they are not affiliated with Univ. of Maryland in anyway. They had part of their lab shut down because they got some test results mixed up.

University of Maryland did NOT participate in the match last year, no position was available. The information on FRIEDA for UMD for last year's match was incorrect, I am not sure as to whether it has been fixed or not. Maryland General is NOT affiliated with the pathology program for U of MD so any issues with that hospital do not influence University of Maryland Medical Center's residency program. U Maryland IS participating in the match this year. Forget the rumors, check out the program for yourself. :)

As far as I can tell U of Maryland is a very nice program with happy residents and attendings, lots of cool stuff going on, and a warm atmosphere. This is based on my interview there a couple of years ago...they don't have any major "problems" that I am aware of.