Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

University of Maryland

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by bruin girl, Mar 8, 2007.

1. bruin girl

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi, How are you guys doing. I got accepted to the UMB. I just wanted to know who got accepted and what they are going to do about the housing... I am from LA, CA. I've been to Baltimore once ( because of the Interview) and I don't know that location that well.. From what I hear, it is pretty scary living there...But I really liked the school, I enjoyed the interview process and people were so friendly so I chose this school over other schools...do you guys know if pharmacy students need a car? i am not planning on taking my car ... Anyhow, if anyone can give me some info ... if would be great!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. KUMoose

KUMoose Grumpy old man
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    1) B-more can be scary, but the school has it's own (real) police force, so the areas around the campus, housing and parking are all *relatively* safe. They are considerably more safe then areas across MLK (Martin Luther King Drive) or other areas of downtown.

2) You do not need a car, if you don't mind walking of getting a cab and bus. Remember there are two one week rotations that you must complete (one each semester your first year, plus a 1 day rotation). Not having a car will limit you (potentially) on areas you can go, but there are several areas in the city.

If you live on campus (or in the Apartments near campus) there's two grocery stores you can use.. a new Sunfresh on Charles St. and Safeway (they deliver). I would highly recommend living on campus, especially if you aren't bringing friends from out west, Fayette Sq. is really good about matching people up and it'll allow you to expand your friends base.

Anything else, just let me know.

3. TmoneyPharmD

Pre-Pharmacy
    Congrats on joining our class. As the previous post said, you probably won't need to bring a car. The area is much safer than other areas of the city (ie john's hopkins) because more of the area around the University of Maryland Medical Center is renovated--everything is pretty well lit and there are plenty of police officers on duty! There are a lot of options for housing--apartment through the school, or apartments around the school, and also renting a house. If you're looking to find other people who will be in your class, go to facebook and join the group "Maryland Pharmacy Class of 2011":) I'm also figuring our housing, and it can get pretty expensive, especially if you want a studio, or a 1 BR apt. If you wanna find roommates, that can help lessen the cost...I'm also looking for rommates...interested? LOL

4. OP
    OP
    bruin girl

Pre-Pharmacy
    ) B-more can be scary, but the school has it's own (real) police force, so the areas around the campus, housing and parking are all *relatively* safe. They are considerably more safe then areas across MLK (Martin Luther King Drive) or other areas of downtown.

2) You do not need a car, if you don't mind walking of getting a cab and bus. Remember there are two one week rotations that you must complete (one each semester your first year, plus a 1 day rotation). Not having a car will limit you (potentially) on areas you can go, but there are several areas in the city.

If you live on campus (or in the Apartments near campus) there's two grocery stores you can use.. a new Sunfresh on Charles St. and Safeway (they deliver). I would highly recommend living on campus, especially if you aren't bringing friends from out west, Fayette Sq. is really good about matching people up and it'll allow you to expand your friends base.

Anything else, just let me know.

So, Well, I guess, rental car will do then~ haha I just don't think my parents can handle all the cost~ My gosh.. In terms of rotations, where do University of maryland send their students? Also, do many first year students work?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. KUMoose

KUMoose Grumpy old man
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Theres a couple hundred sites, around Maryland, DC, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Virginia. ;)

I would say 2/3 of 2010 works in some fashion, lots of students get federal work study, so they work, but around the campus.