University of Miami class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
kenmc3 said:

looks like the gators are taking over :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys-

Congrats on UM! If you're going to be new to Miami, I'll tell you you made the right choice.

I actually have a question for some of you- I just finished post-bacc at UM, and I think UM will be as close of a real possibility for me as you can get with med school admissions, and I just wanted to know, what is the deal with the first year at FAU-Boca? I'm having trouble finding any real info on what the advantages/disadvantages are with the program and the incentives in going in the first place. If anyone can help me out with this, it would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks everyone, and congrats again!

unfrozencaveman said:
Hey guys-

Congrats on UM! If you're going to be new to Miami, I'll tell you you made the right choice.

I actually have a question for some of you- I just finished post-bacc at UM, and I think UM will be as close of a real possibility for me as you can get with med school admissions, and I just wanted to know, what is the deal with the first year at FAU-Boca? I'm having trouble finding any real info on what the advantages/disadvantages are with the program and the incentives in going in the first place. If anyone can help me out with this, it would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks everyone, and congrats again!

I'll be starting at the FAU campus this August, and I've spoken to a lot of students about the advantages/disadvantages at each campus. From what I understand, the main disadvantage is socially because of the smaller class size. However, even that doesn't seem like a huge drawback because there is a lot of camaraderie between the students, and both campuses interact at academic society meetings and various health fairs. Aside from that, the building is brand new with amazing equipment, and because of the small class size there is a lot of individualized attention. Academically, the FAU campus did not have a lower grade average than the Miami campus. Each class also has their own lounge with individual desks and computers. Anyway, I hope this information was helpful. If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, 2009ers...

Looks like I'll be joining you at the U in August, though I'll be down at the Miami campus.

As for the Gators fans among us, the idea of wearing a Gators shirt underneath your UM shirt is a very brave and noble one. However, I have a feeling when that first football Saturday rolls around in early September, and its 95 degrees and humid, you won't be so sure about wearing two shirts. It is then that you will have to choose where your allegiances lie, and if it is still with the Gators, and you choose to wear a Gators shirt, best of luck to you...

Hi everyone!!! I will also be attending UM Med (at the Miami campus) I went to UF for undergrad as well (yep another Gator :laugh: ) Hope you all are having a really great summer and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in August!!! If anyone wants to chat, feel free to send me an email at [email protected].

kevin11982 said:
Hi everyone!!! I will be also be attending UM Med (at the Miami campus) I went to UF for undergrad as well (yep another Gator :laugh: ) Hope you all are having a really great summer and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in August!!! If anyone wants to chat, feel free to send me an email at [email protected].

ahhh... i'll be at the main campus as well (and, thankfully, i am not a gator :thumbdown: ) ;)

so, does everyone have housing arrangements under control?

It is my understanding that applicants can select the campus of their choice and as they matriculate, the remaining spots available at each campus decrease until only a few remain at one of the two locations. Does anyone know which campus fills up first?

Trunion said:
It is my understanding that applicants can select the campus of their choice and as they matriculate, the remaining spots available at each campus decrease until only a few remain at one of the two locations. Does anyone know which campus fills up first?

When you get the secondary application they give you a choice of Boca, Miami, or No Preference. I would assume the Boca campus fills up first because it has fewer slots. In fact, I would bet that prob all people who end up in Boca selected it on their apps – because I think the demand outnumbers the supply.

_J_ (To answer your question)

I am actually moving to Miami next week because my girlfriend is starting a job. We are getting a 2 bedroom apartment at Porta Di Oro, which is about 2-3 miles NE of the medical campus. It’s way more expensive than Gainesville that’s for sure!

Also, for those of you wanting to secure a parking spot, I suggest you call and get on the waiting list.

hahaha u are all going to be my classmates

welcome to miami <3

Guys, one of you PM'd me and I thought I should post my response for all of you. Its about the $75 freshman survival pack you were sent a letter about:

Last year I didnt buy the entire kit, I just purchased stuff individually from the sophomore class during orientation. I dont know if thats an option this year but here's the breakdown you wanted:

- you're not going to need scrubs until close to November when anatomy starts. their price depends on the quality, some scrub sets cost $30 and others that are embroidered with the school logo for example cost $50-$60. The ones in the freshman pack are really basic, something like the scrubs you can buy at the JMH uniform shop for $15 a pair. You could always buy the kind you'd like'd somewhere else, maybe allheart.com or the uniform shop I mentioned.

-the dissection kit you will definitely need, again not until November but try to buy it individually if you can if you dont want to buy the whole pack. I think it was $10-$20 last year by itself. I dont remember the exact price.

- the freshman lecture CD is a MUST HAVE. you have no idea how much it'll help, its full of outlines, review sheets, tips from the sophomores, etc... best thing you can buy in 1st year. again though, you should be able to buy this individually. i think it was somewhere between $10-$20 last year by itself. BUY THIS CD, IT WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE MUCH EASIER. It is also only available from the sophomores, you cant buy it in the bookstore.

- the other 2 things you dont really need. you can buy a nice id badge holder that says UMiami on it and has the UM logo from the bookstore for $5. You also dont need the tshirt for the same reason, though they are much more expensive in the bookstore.

Bottom line: Last year I only ended up buying the CD and dissection kit during orientation. A lot of people just bought the kit to save them time later from having to shop around, etc... Like I said, you'll need to buy scrubs and a dissection kit but not until November. You'll be using the CD right away.

Just as a heads up too.... you're going to have to spend about $500 that week buying a stethoscope, opthalmoscope/otoscope kit, etc... Those arent from the sophomores, the school worked out a deal with a distributor to get the costs down and will offer you an order form. Whats even more painful is that the equipment is required for clinical skills.

If you have any other questions, just PM me. Remember... ITS GREAT TO BE A MIAMI HURRICANE!!! :cool:

CONGRATULATIONS ON BEING ACCEPTED! SEE YOU IN AUGUST! :clap:

Arsenic,

Are we going to have to use the stethoscopes that the University of Miami sells? The Air Force has given me a few of their own for free. Also, if anyone here needs a stethoscope, see me during orientation. I really don't need three of them.

deuist said:
Arsenic,

Are we going to have to use the stethoscopes that the University of Miami sells? The Air Force has given me a few of their own for free. Also, if anyone here needs a stethoscope, see me during orientation. I really don't need three of them.

Don't worry, you should be fine... they let you use any professional stethoscope. Most people get the Littman Cardiology III, its $119 at allheart.com.

are there a lot of hot girls at uofm?

Members don't see this ad :)
it. said:
are there a lot of hot girls at uofm?

Yeah, I'm one of them. ;)

Congrats, all!!! :D

Arsenic810 said:
Guys, one of you PM'd me and I thought I should post my response for

Just as a heads up too.... you're going to have to spend about $500 that week buying a stethoscope, opthalmoscope/otoscope kit, etc... Those arent from the sophomores, the school worked out a deal with a distributor to get the costs down and will offer you an order form. Whats even more painful is that the equipment is required for clinical skills.

QUOTE]

I bought everything on the list last year, and used a different medical supply company. I was able to get CHEAPER prices by talking to the owner directly, and still have the order form I and a couple of my classmates used, so PM me if you want more information. The equipments were basically the same, but we got the professional versions of some of the items i.e our babinski hammer was metal, adjustable and more sturdy than the plastic version the other students got. Also we had some nice FREE items e.g free heart CD, a practice eyeball, free pocket eye chart and more etc. Again if you get enough people, you can probably get no shipping, plus there is no tax. I think that's enough info, if you are interested PM me.

The company is actually working on creating a site for UM students to shop at their convenience, more info later.

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
MS-2; GO CANES

neuroethicist said:
Hey,

I read your post and I would be so grateful to get the form for the equipment. I should be in Miami in August

Thanks again,

I just contacted the company and they are going to send me another form made specifically for Umiami students, with the cheaper prices especially on the equipments you need, plus the free stuff. Sorry for the delay, but I will send it via email attachment when I get it. I don't know if SDN allows attachments though.

I just received the thing to order the Freshman survival kit in the mail as well. I am going to be at the Boca campus this fall. I was wondering if anyone knows if the CD with notes is applicable to the classes in Boca also. Thanks.

dradams said:
I just received the thing to order the Freshman survival kit in the mail as well. I am going to be at the Boca campus this fall. I was wondering if anyone knows if the CD with notes is applicable to the classes in Boca also. Thanks.

definitely. all the students including boca and miami will be at orientation when the CD's are sold. the curriculum is identical between the 2 campuses, we take the exact same exams on the exact same material.

That's true. Thanks.

neuroethicist said:
Hey,

I read your post and I would be so grateful to get the form for the equipment. I should be in Miami in August

Thanks again,

I sent the form to your email address.

oh, and for those looking for scrubs, they also sell a complete set for $15

Goodluck

Here's a question that the current students might be able to answer. I just got a UMiami license plate to replace my Gator tag. I'm slated to start at FAU this fall. Should I wait until MS3 to change over to the Hurricane tag, or should I do it now even though I would be at a different campus?

deuist said:
Here's a question that the current students might be able to answer. I just got a UMiami license plate to replace my Gator tag. I'm slated to start at FAU this fall. Should I wait until MS3 to change over to the Hurricane tag, or should I do it now even though I would be at a different campus?

dude... the earlier you remove that gator tag, the better ;)

i say, put it on :thumbup:

Does anyone know what the two-day orientation is like for us incoming freshmen? I'm actually going to be attending the Boca campus but I know the orientation is still in Miami for us. Do we stay down there or drive each day?

Thanks.

dradams said:
Does anyone know what the two-day orientation is like for us incoming freshmen? I'm actually going to be attending the Boca campus but I know the orientation is still in Miami for us. Do we stay down there or drive each day?

Thanks.

I am not really sure, but I think you guys stay down here for the 2 days, and I think the school pays for your hotel and transportation to the event. For those students that choose to drive, the school also covers the parking fee. Actually, this is true for all required events for FAU student, last year students got to stay in a nice hotel any time they came down.

Nflow said:
I am not really sure, but I think you guys stay down here for the 2 days, and I think the school pays for your hotel and transportation to the event. For those students that choose to drive, the school also covers the parking fee. Actually, this is true for all required events for FAU student, last year students got to stay in a nice hotel any time they came down.

Really? That sounds good. I guess UM does it up right. What does the orientation entail and what is the appropriate dress (do we need a suit)?

Thanks.

dradams said:
I guess UM does it up right.

They sure do. Whenever I had to call the registrar's office at UF, I would spend 10 minutes on hold, get shuffled around from one person to the next, and finally the six person would say, "Oh, that's not available here. You'll have to call another office." Whenever I call Miami, on the other hand, someone answers the phone on the first ring and usually is the person who can answer my question. I'm really impressed that I can call Hinkley and talk to him directly about whatever's on my mine. Also, the staff at Miami usually takes care of faxing and mailing documents the same day that they are received. I'm looking forward to see how the instructors act.

dradams said:
Really? That sounds good. I guess UM does it up right. What does the orientation entail and what is the appropriate dress (do we need a suit)?

Thanks.

The dress code is business casual and it is enforced, meaning no flip flops but not really a suit either. Most guys wear a nice business shirt and tie. You spend the first day being introduced to the staff, the curriculum etc, then you have lunch with some of your classmates, upperclassmen and a faculty member (mine was an Ob/gyn resident). Second day, you get your ID, more lectures and other things. Saturday is "games day" basically getting to know your classmates and the day you get assigned into your academic society. I think that is all.

I know some of you are a little nervous about starting medical school, at least I know I was. UM is awesome, and I seriously do not regret my choice. My classmates were cool, the curriculum is great. Sure there are some flaws, but they usually try to fix it, and take students input very seriously. I love it so much, I am spending my summer break doing research at school, while some of my other classmates are in Europe etc :).

Have fun enjoy your summer and see y'all in August.

Blackwell Society rocks! Arsenic I hope you read that :D

Nflow said:
The dress code is business casual and it is enforced, meaning no flip flops but not really a suit either. Most guys wear a nice business shirt and tie. You spend the first day being introduced to the staff, the curriculum etc, then you have lunch with some of your classmates, upperclassmen and a faculty member (mine was an Ob/gyn resident). Second day, you get your ID, more lectures and other things. Saturday is "games day" basically getting to know your classmates and the day you get assigned into your academic society. I think that is all.

I know some of you are a little nervous about starting medical school, at least I know I was. UM is awesome, and I seriously do not regret my choice. My classmates were cool, the curriculum is great. Sure there are some flaws, but they usually try to fix it, and take students input very seriously. I love it so much, I am spending my summer break doing research at school, while some of my other classmates are in Europe etc :).

Have fun enjoy your summer and see y'all in August.

Thanks. That helps a lot. Everyone seems to love it there. I'm looking forward to it.

Nflow said:

thats completely true, i'm not sure if they are going to pay for the hotel this year but they did do this last year

NFlow said:
Courvoisier!!!! :p :D

deuist said:
About the transportation to Jackson: Do we have to drive ourselves, or do we get a bus to take us all from FAU to Miami?

there's a bus that shuttles FAU students to Miami, dont worry :cool:

just one more month until you guys all register as official medical student miami hurricanes.... :clap:

Quick question,

I put my name on the waiting list for parking in early May but I haven’t heard anything yet. Do I have a good chance for getting in at least one of the garages?

kenmc3 said:
Quick question,

I put my name on the waiting list for parking in early May but I haven’t heard anything yet. Do I have a good chance for getting in at least one of the garages?

do you have Daisy's phone number in the parking department?

http://ummcsd.med.miami.edu/SECURITY/parking.htm

it took forever to get my parking pass last year but thats because i didnt ask for it until August, just call Daisy and ask her. She runs all the lists.

General Qs:

If you got a scholarship - how did they contact you?

when will they stop giving a scholarship?

do we pay whole tution on day one (lump sum due) or by semester (2 payments)?

DieselPetrolGrl said:
General Qs:

1. If you got a scholarship - how did they contact you?

2. when will they stop giving a scholarship?

3. do we pay whole tution on day one (lump sum due) or by semester (2 payments)?

1. Email [for c/o 2008]

2. I have no idea

3. By semester, half in August and half in January. Meaning that if you're taking out $38,500 in loans for 1st year and the tuition is $28,500, you'll get the extra money in 2 payments - $5K in August and $5K in January.

Arsenic810 said:
1. Email [for c/o 2008]

2. I have no idea

3. By semester, half in August and half in January. Meaning that if you're taking out $38,500 in loans for 1st year and the tuition is $28,500, you'll get the extra money in 2 payments - $5K in August and $5K in January.
brilliant

ur nifty hotness....but you already know this hrmp!

uhhh more Q

what is the instate tution A?
a # that they mail out on bills - with fees and all.
o0oo i feel behind. they dont want music they just want boom boom boom boom.

DieselPetrolGrl said:
uhhh more Q

what is the instate tution A?
a # that they mail out on bills - with fees and all.
o0oo i feel behind. they dont want music they just want boom boom boom boom.

check EASY, your data may be loaded already. Go to "student menu" then click on "Monthly A.R. Bill".

the tuition is about $29K for florida residents, here are the fee's from my sophomore A.R. bill:

06/16/05 MEDICAL TUITION-IN STATE 14,649.00
06/16/05 WELLNESS CENTER FEE 354.00
06/16/05 DISABILITY INSURANCE 40.00
06/16/05 MEDICAL HEALTH FEE 260.00
06/16/05 STUDENT COUNCIL ACTIVITY FEE 50.00

The health fee can be waived online if you have health insurance and I THINK we were able to waive the wellness center fee last year during registration if we told them we didnt need it. You'll do that at orientation.

Thanks A man
No I am a easy-monkey
I log on 10x a day on easy! Seriously when its registration time I get so addicted to it. It still has my spring 2005 bill paid thing – no fall info. Thanks a bunch for this info – supa detailed. See you soon –– ill be the one sneaking up on you with a JUNGLE TRAGEDY ON DA’ SLOPES!!! :thumbup:

Hey Ur Nifty Hotness :D , Dieselpetrol said it so...., anyways got my bill today, can't believe they added the WC fee, after I declined it before, oh well. Anyways, how is hurricane Denis treating ya. Me not so good, some idiot slammed into my car yesterday, on my way back from school :mad: but i refuse to mess up my last week of freedom. See ya friday.

second year princess

Arsenic810 said:
check EASY, your data may be loaded already. Go to "student menu" then click on "Monthly A.R. Bill".

the tuition is about $29K for florida residents, here are the fee's from my sophomore A.R. bill:

06/16/05 MEDICAL TUITION-IN STATE 14,649.00
06/16/05 WELLNESS CENTER FEE 354.00
06/16/05 DISABILITY INSURANCE 40.00
06/16/05 MEDICAL HEALTH FEE 260.00
06/16/05 STUDENT COUNCIL ACTIVITY FEE 50.00

The health fee can be waived online if you have health insurance and I THINK we were able to waive the wellness center fee last year during registration if we told them we didnt need it. You'll do that at orientation.

hey N flow
i dont know about A but i live south of miami and Denise was a Menace

thanks of the tip on the Wc and other fees <3

How long do you guys think the orientation will last on Thursday the 4th?

I have a legal obligation and cannot get them (parents and other party) to show up at 7 am that morning. I have tried all sorts of reasoning but due to financially reasons earlier than august 4th is impossible for my family. And waiting is not an option.

They suggest 3 pm. Do you guys think I can beg to leave without looking like a rude monkey at 2 30 pm?
Ms2+s how late does orientation usually last?
And what happens after 2: 30?
I hope registration is before that!

DieselPetrolGrl said:
How long do you guys think the orientation will last on Thursday the 4th?

I have a legal obligation and cannot get them (parents and other party) to show up at 7 am that morning. I have tried all sorts of reasoning but due to financially reasons earlier than august 4th is impossible for my family. And waiting is not an option.

They suggest 3 pm. Do you guys think I can beg to leave without looking like a rude monkey at 2 30 pm?
Ms2+s how late does orientation usually last?
And what happens after 2: 30?
I hope registration is before that!

i think we actually registered on friday last year and that both days went to about 3 or 4. registration is actually already done for you, you just turn in a few forms like the honor code and your physical exam results for example, but you dont have to select any classes or anything.

the whole administration will talk to you during those 2 days, everything from HIPAA training to how grades are reported on your transcript. Just call the admissions office and explain, I'm almost positive they wont have a problem with you leaving early.

i'll tell them you made me do it!
just kidding! thanks ..somehow i knew you would come to my rescue..NOW GO STUDY!!

I have a question for you experienced folks. What do we need to show at registration for proof of health insurance. My wife works and we use the health insurance through her job. Can I just show the little card that I have in my wallet with the policy info or do I need more for proof?

Thanks.

dradams said:
I have a question for you experienced folks. What do we need to show at registration for proof of health insurance. My wife works and we use the health insurance through her job. Can I just show the little card that I have in my wallet with the policy info or do I need more for proof?

Thanks.

you dont even have to show the card, just fill out the one page insurance waiver form. i've attached the one they made us sophomores fill out last week during our 2nd year orientation. you can waive the insurance online at EASY but I think the med school wants this one filled out too just to have a hard copy of it.

Attachments

• Student Health INS FORM.DOC
    27 KB · Views: 93
Arsenic810 said:
you dont even have to show the card, just fill out the one page insurance waiver form. i've attached the one they made us sophomores fill out last week during our 2nd year orientation. you can waive the insurance online at EASY but I think the med school wants this one filled out too just to have a hard copy of it.

Oh, ok. That's easy. I thought there was more to the "proof" of insurance thing. Thanks, man.

I have a quick question for everyone. Is anyone having their family come in for orientation? Do most students do that? I know a lot of my friends that are attending other medical schools had their parents in town for orientation and their white coat ceremony. Does anyone know anything about what they do here in Miami? I heard they have a pinning cerempny instead of a white coat ceremony. Is that true and do parents come to that event?

If someone could help me out with all this I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

Also NFlow, I know you mentioned that you had some information or forms on a company where you can order the scrubs, stethecope, etc. that are in the freshman kit. Is there anyway that I can get that from you? That would be wonderful.