University of Miami, Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unfrozencaveman

not a dude
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Getting this party started....

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
deuist said:
Congrats again to both of you on your acceptances. To anyone else who gets accepted to or wants to know about UMMSM or FAU, be sure to post here.

Yea!!! I want to join the party!!!

I am very excited to head home this Christmas so I can start checking on the Miami area...I don't know where I want to live!

Hey congrats!! Are you going to UM for sure?

And does anyone know if there is a Miami 2nd look weekend? Or whether we can go unofficially to check it out again?

Members don't see this ad :)
deuist said:
Miami does not have an official second look weekend. You can call Hinkley and arrange to see the school again.

I called yesterday and asked this among other questions and they said they were thinking about implementing one this year but it would not be until much later next semester. They said they would send an official notice about it though later.

I am almost positive about Miami next year...I am still waiting to hear from other schools and I have gotten into a few others but I really want to be closer to home for med school plus my boyfriend of five years is deadset on heading back to miami (I am from Boca) and I guess he is kind of swaying my decision...

Thanks guys!! I am so excited!

A second look weekend would be awesome. That'd be a great way to meet some people before classes start and it'd give me a great excuse to take a few days off of work :laugh:

Opallife said:
my boyfriend of five years is deadset on heading back to miami (I am from Boca) and I guess he is kind of swaying my decision...

If I were you, I would not base my decision of where to go to medical school on someone else's career goals. Most couples---if not already married---will break up shortly after starting classes. The married ones usually stay together, but have high rates of cheating.

deuist said:
If I were you, I would not base my decision of where to go to medical school on someone else's career goals. Most couples---if not already married---will break up shortly after starting classes. The married ones usually stay together, but have high rates of cheating.

Yikes. Really? What's going on up there in Boca? Maybe I should go to FAU....

Q--I'm going to FAU! Glad to see we're going to be classmates.

PS - I think your therory is valid

QofQuimica said:
Dude, you should totally come up to FAU. :thumbup: All the nerds go there. Who do you think you are, going to Miami???

I'm an undercover nerd lol

Runner- have you been up to see FAU? That place is the shiz.

Nope. I am planning a trip right now though. I spoke at length with two M2s there and I am so excited about it.

What impressed you the most with the campus?

RunnerMD said:
Nope. I am planning a trip right now though. I spoke at length with two M2s there and I am so excited about it.

What impressed you the most with the campus?

Like many animals, I am impressed and distracted by shiny things. FAU is all brand new, great building, and a VERY impressive technological infrastructure. The classes each get their own "office" type thing (go nerdery!), where everyone has a cube/desk/workspace, and a computer (which the school provides to each person).
I also like the FAU campus (they have a really nice pool), and I like Boca Raton (would you believe). The people seem incredibly cool, except the guy who took me around was a total dork, and whoever that girl was I toured with there was really strange. Just try not to get caught alone with her somewhere dark, is all I'm saying. ;)

Oh, and another thing... It snowed three inches in Boston this morning, and as I look out my window, I see that it is now raining on top of the snow. It doesnt do that at FAU, which I also like.

unfrozencaveman said:
Yikes. Really? What's going on up there in Boca? Maybe I should go to FAU....

Nothing that isn't too different than other campuses. It's just that we have 47 people here---we know everyone's business.

unfrozencaveman said:
the guy who took me around was a total dork, and whoever that girl was I toured with there was really strange.

What? I was the one that gave you the tour. Josh just sat by playing online poker while I did all of the work. And that girl you were with was pretty strange. I mean, come on, who hasn't heard of SDN?

deuist said:
What? I was the one that gave you the tour. Josh just sat by playing online poker while I did all of the work. And that girl you were with was pretty strange. I mean, come on, who hasn't heard of SDN?

Just making sure you were paying attention, D.

unfrozencaveman said:
Like many animals, I am impressed and distracted by shiny things. FAU is all brand new, great building, and a VERY impressive technological infrastructure. The classes each get their own "office" type thing (go nerdery!), where everyone has a cube/desk/workspace, and a computer (which the school provides to each person).
I also like the FAU campus (they have a really nice pool), and I like Boca Raton (would you believe). The people seem incredibly cool, except the guy who took me around was a total dork, and whoever that girl was I toured with there was really strange. Just try not to get caught alone with her somewhere dark, is all I'm saying. ;)
dude, we know where you live. :mad: That does it: I'm coming up to Boston to give you a talking-to. :smuggrin:

deuist said:
dude, you are so literal. :rolleyes: She was talking about ME!!!

Last edited:
Any of my future FAU at UM classmates out there? Have you guys started looking for a place to live?

Now that Q is leaving for the cold, who's gonna keep me company?

RunnerMD said:
Now that Q is leaving for the cold, who's gonna keep me company?
I'm still here, Runner. I didn't withdraw from Miami. I have to find out whether they consider non-trads over age 30 independent for institutional aid. If they do, I'll add them to my FAFSA. :)

I just got word that FAU will hold its open house for all accepted and wait-listed students on Saturday, April 1st. I encourage everyone to show up. You'll get to tour the campus and see everything that we have to offer here. This opportunity will be especially useful for applicants with multiple acceptances who want to get a look at the FAU campus.

MrBurns10 said:
Hey deuist, do you have any idea whether UM offers scholarships to out-of-state students?

MrBurns,

When I was there, Dr. Hinkley said they had scholarships for out of staters that were $5k, $10k, $15K, and $20k. I'm hoping for one of those myself! But I'm not sure if you apply for them separately or if it is part of that online scholarship application form for diversity/need.

foodlover said:
MrBurns,

When I was there, Dr. Hinkley said they had scholarships for out of staters that were $5k, $10k, $15K, and $20k. I'm hoping for one of those myself! But I'm not sure if you apply for them separately or if it is part of that online scholarship application form for diversity/need.
Thanks a lot, foodlover. Do you have any idea if these are given during the interview season or only after everyone has interviewed and applied? I know they give scholarships throughout the interview season for in-staters but wasn't sure for out-of-staters. I only ask because my boyfriend is interviewing in early march so he won't know if he's accepted for a few weeks after that, and pretty much the only way he'd choose UM over his own state school is if he got a scholarship. Thanks for the info, and if you have any more please let me know. Good luck!!

As far as financial aid info goes...I filled out my FAFSA, but I didn't know if Miami had other forms that I needed to fill out as well...also, what happens next after the FAFSA?

McMD said:
As far as financial aid info goes...I filled out my FAFSA, but I didn't know if Miami had other forms that I needed to fill out as well...also, what happens next after the FAFSA?

You should have gotten a link to the online scholarship form with your acceptance form. I no longer have the URL; so I can't help you out. Call the admissions department and ask for it. The scholarships are well worth applying for.

MrBurns10 said:
Thanks a lot, foodlover. Do you have any idea if these are given during the interview season or only after everyone has interviewed and applied? I know they give scholarships throughout the interview season for in-staters but wasn't sure for out-of-staters. I only ask because my boyfriend is interviewing in early march so he won't know if he's accepted for a few weeks after that, and pretty much the only way he'd choose UM over his own state school is if he got a scholarship. Thanks for the info, and if you have any more please let me know. Good luck!!

No idea if they are given all at once or not. But you might want to tell your boyfriend that he may be essentially interviewing for a Boca spot. I interviewed in early Jan, having applied to the Miami campus, but got put at Boca because Miami is full. They are putting new acceptees there. I am on a transfer list, which transfers people over to Miami in chron order as spots open up. I don't know how it would be for a March interview. (Unless he wants Boca, then of course you can ignore my "warning"!)

Oops..thanks. I guess I ddin't read the letter in it's entirety.

Why do people think going to Boca is bad? I CHOSE to go to Boca b/c I think it offers the best of both worlds. I don't understand why everyone thinks its so much better at the Miami campus.

I think the Boca campus is awesome!! I requested to transfer from the FAU campus to the Miami campus because during my 2nd year my husband will be getting out of the Navy and moving to where I am, it would be easier for him to find a job for 3 years in Miami versus finding a job for one year in Boca and then another in Miami. But otherwise, I would definitely choose the FAU campus anyday over the Miami.

RunnerMD said:
Why do people think going to Boca is bad? I CHOSE to go to Boca b/c I think it offers the best of both worlds. I don't understand why everyone thinks its so much better at the Miami campus.
FWIW, I also greatly prefer the Boca campus over the Miami one. But that's the beauty of U Miami; there are two different campuses that appeal to different people for various reasons, and hopefully everyone can get into the one that s/he prefers. :)

RunnerMD said:

Hey RunnerMD,

I didn't mean to imply anything bad about Boca. It's just that for me, the Miami campus is what I really want - bigger, urban, and the same spot for all 4 years! Boca actually seems like a pretty cool campus, but I just don't think it's me. If I can't get switched to Jackson, the likelihood of me attending UM would go way down, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Hey foodlover, when did you get on the transfer list? (I want an idea of where I would potentially stand on the list)

McMD said:
Hey foodlover, when did you get on the transfer list? (I want an idea of where I would potentially stand on the list)

About a week and a half ago. I have no idea how many people are on it though!

I just wanted to make myself available to answer questions. I'm a nontraditional med student at the Boca campus (married with a 3-year-old). If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Dradams:
#:) Why did you choose UM?

#2:) I've filled out my FAFSA, gotten my SAR...what next? I'm going to call the Fin Aid office in a few days, but I feel very lost in this process.

dradams said:
I just wanted to make myself available to answer questions. I'm a nontraditional med student at the Boca campus (married with a 3-year-old). If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Hi DrAdams,

I'd love to know how many non-trad/older students there are at UM, say, as compared to other schools? Would you say that more of the non-trads tend to go to Boca or is it pretty equal between both campuses?