***University of Miami Class of 2011!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrianUM

Future M.D
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Calling all UMiami 2011'ers! :love:

4 years of studying, ping pong, more studying, beach, and more studying.

Here's to making everlasting friendships and to moving on with the next phase of our lives! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Brian,

I just got accepted to UMMSM@FAU tonight! Go Canes!

Hey Gin

That's awesome! I guess you're set on going to Miami then...congrats and enjoy the moment...see you in fall. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, see you in the fall. Our class thread is lonely with just us...:)

Where is the rest of our class? Guys?

*cricket*

I'm pumped about my acceptance to UM in Miami. I can't wait to see the med school again during a second look trip. Hinkley mentioned that they might be offering one sometime in April, but wasn't 100% sure if it would occur.

So, not being from the area, where are some good places to live? I'd definitely be down to have a med student roommate for the first year or two. Anybody know of any good places?

I've just been accepted to UMMSM @ FAU. I'm pretty excited. Gin, hopefully we'll be future classmates. Are you pretty much set on UMMSM? I really dug the campus and the faculty impressed me.

Congrats to both of you,

I'm actually going to the Miami campus so I can tell you about nice places to stay if you go to med school in Miami...basically, the closest place you can get is in the Civic center area by the school but it can get kind of dangerous (dominion towers is one place you can live) that is a walk away from the school.

Brickell is a really nice area, near the school (but should still drive)...can be expensive...

Miami Beach is a great place to live, not too far, again need to drive, but how nice would it be to be on the beach and be able to go to all the clubs.

I personally live in Coral Gables and might still live here during med school. The good thing is that you can live in many areas of Miami that are not close to school but take the metro rail (it's like an elevated subway system). Coral Gables is a beautiful area that is near the undergrad campus. very expensive.

Anyway, any more questions, just ask.

Hi guys! Congrats! Finally, I knew there were more of us 'canes out there. :) :) :) Ki, yeah I'm pretty much set on UM@FAU. Are you from the area? I got to FAU now so I can try to answer Qs if you have them. As for living down in miami, I have no idea. :p Anyway, congrats guys! Welcome to the party...or you know, our class thread. :p

I'm not from Miami or Florida. I'm originally from Indiana, but I live in Boston now. UMMSM @ FAU was one of my top choices as well. Unless I get into an Ivy League school I will be in Boca Raton next August. I can't wait.

I'm not from Miami or Florida. I'm originally from Indiana, but I live in Boston now. UMMSM @ FAU was one of my top choices as well. Unless I get into an Ivy League school I will be in Boca Raton next August. I can't wait.

Ivy League Smivy League. UM is where it's at. :p :p :p

I agree! U.M. @ FAU is the ****. Who needs Harvard?? Boston is cold anyway, believe me I'm here right now. Gin, are you still in school or have you already graduated and are taking a year off??

I agree! U.M. @ FAU is the ****. Who needs Harvard?? Boston is cold anyway, believe me I'm here right now. Gin, are you still in school or have you already graduated and are taking a year off??

I'll graduate in May yay! Then I will live the next two years in the summer before I start med school cuz once I do that'll be pretty much my life forever and ever and ever.....

how about you ksi?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a bit of an old man. I graduated in 2004 and finished my Master's in Bio. last summer. I now live it up in Boston while getting ready for med. school. I should have been in the 2008 graduating class, but I wouldn't have traded the past 3 years for the world. I am excited to start a new phase of my life however. So is FAU a fun school? Do people usually hang around Boca or do they go to Miami to have fun? Also, how much do apartments on the beach cost? Is Deerfield Beach far from campus? Sorry for all of the questions.

I'm a bit of an old man. I graduated in 2004 and finished my Master's in Bio. last summer. I now live it up in Boston while preparing for med. school. I should have been in the 2008 graduating class, but I wouldn't have traded the past 3 years for the world. I am excited to start a new phase of my life however. So is FAU a fun school? Do people usually hang around Boca or do they go to Miami to have fun? Also, how much do apartments on the beach cost? Is Deerfield Beach far from campus? Sorry for all of the questions.

I'm a bit of an old man. I graduated in 2004 and finished my Master's in Bio. last summer. I now live it up in Boston while preparing for med. school. I should have been in the 2008 graduating class, but I wouldn't have traded the past 3 years for the world. I am excited to start a new phase of my life however. So is FAU a fun school? Do people usually hang around Boca or do they go to Miami to have fun? Also, how much do apartments on the beach cost? Is Deerfield Beach far from campus? Sorry for all of the questions.

Cool cool. The beach is like 10 minutes from boca. Apartments in boca are expensive like $1k per month just for rent. :eek: FAU is a commuter school so boca's not like a traditional college town or anything but the campus is really nice. There's always stuff going on. I'm not sure what's down in miami but I'm pretty sure there's fun stuff to do too. I know going to the UM football games is fun. Well it was fun when they were winning all crazy like. I think students get in for free but I'm not positive about that. Anyway, I hope to see you at UM@FAU in the fall. I tried to get peeps attention in the UM class of 2010 thread so I could ask them Qs too but it's not happenin. :p

if you guys have any questions, feel free to post them and I will try and answer.

-Dwade

Dwayne Wade up in the house!:D

Dwayne Wade is my hero *gasp* :laugh:

I am a HUGE D wade and Heat fan!

Right after I got my MSP acceptance to Miami med, the heat won the title and I went to the parade...best time of my life.

Here's to having a great time in med school! :D
I can't wait - I'm ready to be done with undergrad already.

hey schatze,

which campus will attend?

Hey guys!

Just in case you were wondering, there are already like 17 or 18 of us already accepted at UMiami Med. If you have facebook, you could look us up under the group Medical Scholars Program.

Brian,

Is it only for the BS/MD guys or just UM Med students/student to be?

Hey,

Those are students accepted into the 7 year Medical Scholars Program at Umiami. It is a BS/MD program offered to 2nd year college students after they finish their 3rd yr of college. Everyone on that list is in that program and, with exception of a few ppl who were accepted in previous years, will be starting med school in 2007. The BS/MD program offered to high school students is separate from that list.

Hey,

Those are students accepted into the 7 year Medical Scholars Program at Umiami. It is a BS/MD program offered to 2nd year college students after they finish their 3rd yr of college. Everyone on that list is in that program and, with exception of a few ppl who were accepted in previous years, will be starting med school in 2007. The BS/MD program offered to high school students is separate from that list.

OIC Well, nm then. :p

Dude, WTF???!?! We lost AGAIN! What the hell? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :barf: :barf: :barf: +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+

c'mon guys...I know there are def some UMiami ppl out there!:)

They're being shy I reckon. :oops:

Hi Gin and Brian,

Just thought I'd add myself to this thread, accepted to the Miami campus today, actually.

Not like you haven't been asked this a million times before yet, but what kind of medicine are you interested in? And why Miami?

I'm quite stoked by what I've seen so far...I'm big into international health and underserved populations, and it seems like a great place in that regard.

Hi Pirata,

Congrats on the acceptance. UM's the place to be. :D I honestly have no idea what kind of medicine I want to practice. I'll just figure it out after doing rotations I guess. I'll be attending the UM@FAU campus. I go to FAU now so it won't be a hassle or anything to get situated (I'll be living at home still). I really like the small class size at FAU and I'm familiar with some of the profs there as well as the current med students. I'm very excited and can't wait to start. Is UM your first/definite choice Pirata? Anyway, congrats again. See you in the fall. :p

Hi Gin and Brian,

Just thought I'd add myself to this thread, accepted to the Miami campus today, actually.

Not like you haven't been asked this a million times before yet, but what kind of medicine are you interested in? And why Miami?

I'm quite stoked by what I've seen so far...I'm big into international health and underserved populations, and it seems like a great place in that regard.

Hey Pirata, congrats again.

Well I was hoping my rotations in med school would give me insight into what field I want to specialize in. As of right now, anything dealing with the brain and behavior is what fascinates me the most, maybe psychiatry, neurology, neuropsychiatry...still too early to say...

I was born and raised in Miami, go to undergrad at UM and love it here. The people I love most are here and that alone would probably convince me to stay here. However, Miami is a great school in its own right. Heavy research opportunities, traveling opportunities, clinical experience from day 1. Not to mention, you get to work at Jackson Memorial Hospital. Enough said. Great wheather, beach, great atmosphere. Miami is all that and more.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Hi Gin and Brian,

As a MS1 at UM here are some pros I can give you:

1) Looking at your mdapplicants profile you are obviously a very bright person who has dedicated yourself to serving undeserved populations. You will find that most of the people here are like you; almost everyone in our class is involved in some sort of volunteer experience.

2) Likewise I would say that a substantial portion of our class took a non-traditional route of some sort to med school. We are a very very very diverse bunch in more ways than one

3) The weather is gorgeous, the city life is awesome and you will never get bored in this town.

4) Everyone is super-nice, it is a very supportive environment, people really really try to help each other out. The upperclassmen are AWESOME. A very very pleasant surprise

5)You could have me as your anatomy TA :p

Post in this thread or PM me if you have any more questions

Cheers!
:)

Nice to hear back from you all! I am definitely excited about Miami--it's a great school with a very diverse population and that's big to me, esp. being able to work with international/underserved pops. I'm also keen on the Health Equity and Social Medicine track they're starting up but when I interviewed there weren't many folks who could speak to that much, with the exception of Dean Hinkley, of course. Have any of you heard anything about it, particularly elective coursework during the basic science or clinical years?

As far as top choices, Miami is up there but I don't think I'll be certain where I'm going until the Spring. Being married, it takes a bit longer to figure out where you're going to transplant you and hubby to for the next 4 + years! :luck: to everyone!

YEAHHHH Miami!
I just got accepted a couple days ago... so it still hasn't sunk in yet. lol
I'm a native Floridian, so while I'm still waiting to hear from other schools, it's pretty likely I'm going to the MIA in the fall.
Class of '11 baby!

Hey Morgan

Congrats! Hope to see you in fall. Looks like wer're going to be the babies in the class :)

YEAHHHH Miami!
I'm a native Floridian, so while I'm still waiting to hear from other schools, it's pretty likely I'm going to the MIA in the fall.
Class of '11 baby!

Hi Morgan,

Congrats on the acceptance! UM's where it's at. :D :D

Morgan,

I got waitlisted at USF too. I don't know what the heck that's about. :p :p

YEAHHHH Miami!
Class of '11 baby!

wow you have a masters at 20? That's amazing!

So ive finally found this class thread. Im real excited to be going to UM main campus come fall. See you guys then! When do classes start?

Hey facewait

Congrats and welcome! I think classes start in AUG but i'm not 100 % sure

Thanks, yea i heard that classes start on the 1st. I was wondering if that was true or if it started more towards mid-month.

hi Facewait,

Congrats. Welcome to the cool people thread. Last year's class started on Aug. 6th I think. I don't know when we start though. :p

Whats up guys, just thought I drop and say hi to current 'CANES and future med ones :). I have no clue still where I'm going next August but if I'm staying in Florida, I'll continue to be a 'Cane for sure :thumbup:

hi Facewait,

Congrats. Welcome to the cool people thread. Last year's class started on Aug. 6th I think. I don't know when we start though. :p

Last year we had orientation on the 2nd and 3rd of August (full days) followed by class on August 6th (regular full day).

I'm done with this semester!!! :D :D :clap: :clap: :clap: :hardy: :hardy: :horns: :horns:YES!!!! Hallelujah!!! Good luck on finals everyone. :luck:

Congrats to both of you! Isn't the end of the semester (let alone the completion of your bachelor's) beautiful? Gawd, I'm looking forward to the holidays...just for the time off!