Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

University of Miami- FAU or Miami?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by doctorsareneat, Feb 26, 2007.

1. doctorsareneat

doctorsareneat im a new kid
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi all!

I've been lucky enough to be accepted at both the FAU campus and the Miami campus of UM.

I have to give my campus decision to the admissions committee by wednesday.

I just have a couple of questions:

1. Which campus would you choose? I know there are pors and cons to both, but I'd really like to hear other people's opinion on this.

2. Is the curriculum cahnging at Miami to reflect at all the changes in the curriculum at FAU (more PBL, less lecture, etc.)? What do you think of the current Miami curriculum?

Thanks everyone!

2. DrZeke

DrZeke yzarc gniog ylwolS
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey my friend - if you take a look at what I posed in the University of [email protected] Class of 2011 thread in Allopathic class threads section, you will learn quite a bit about the curriculum.

I'm too tired and lazy to write it all up right now, but I will say a few things and then if you want more info PM me. I have spoken to both Dr. Wragg (curriculum director) and Dr. Lichtstein (former residency director at main campus and now big guy at Boca campus).

1) Basic sciences at Boca will hands down be way better.
    2) Boca has a very integrative curriculum in the clinical years and you will do rotations in the style of a few months at each hospital. A little bit of everything at each. This style has recently become quite popular and is showing up at more and more schools across the country.
    3) You can't do rotations at Jackson until 4th year.
    4) If you want to be hardcore into research, Boca may not be the place to do that - depending on your interests. Clinical research should be awesome at Boca hospitals, but lab research may be so-so.
    5) Class size at Boca is much more intimate and you get to know your faculty very well. Networking may be easier at the Boca campus and facutly can probably vouch for you on a more personal level.
    6) Exposure and experience will be integrated into the Boca curriculum, as oppose to at Miami where it's all available, but may require a bit more of a "go-getter" or independent attitude.

I think it really depends on what you look for in a program. Some people like a very integrated curriculum and want attention. Others just want to be left alone to learn in their way and whatever. I do believe that Boca will continue to produce higher board scores, because of their curriculum and supportive faculty.

Miami may adopt some of Boca's teaching methods, but they want to see it in effect first, and this may not be until after you are in 3rd-4th year.

Good luck and again PM me with more specific questions. I have spoken for several HOURS with the faculty/students at Boca and definitely talked with some Miami people. If you gave me a better idea of what you are looking for or if you have specific questions, I can definitely answer them or direct you to the proper person. Beware of current main campus students as they only know about the current boca curriculum and even at that, a lot of them don't know much about what goes on at Boca. :)

3. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
    You may also PM the poster: UMMSM for more info on Umiami's program.

BTW: Dr. Zeke, If you don't want to rewrite your post, you can click on the number in the right hand corner of the post you made initially and copy and paste the link for that post here. That may be easier. Or you could just highlight what you wrote and copy and paste it that way. ;)

P.S. Boca had a slightly higher average on the boards last year according to Deuist. ~230 while Umiami main campus had about 220-224 or something like that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Hurricane95

Hurricane95 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Miami campus!!!

Although I may be a bit biased though :D

Either way, you will get an excellent experience at either place. I'm way too lazy to type up a list of pros and cons and stuff, especially after today's neuro exam...I just want to have some fun. But DrZeke typed up a nice little analysis. It all boils down to what is more important to you:

Miami:
    Big class ( ~154 students, clinical skills sessions and other small group activities are done in our societies, groups of 12 people)
    More immersive clinical experiences, because jackson is a monster for these things
    Big, urban setting
    Miami nightlife and party scene, for fun between test rounds

Boca:
    Smaller class, more intimate relationship with classmates and faculty.
    Better basic science courses, from what I have heard
    Posh country club setting, with less traffic and accessible parking

That being said you can do well at either assuming you put work into it. I'm a firm believer in that you get what you put into something.

Ok, I have to go now....I'll think of more stuff later.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. DrZeke

DrZeke yzarc gniog ylwolS
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Also, like KSimonelic mentioned on Miami class thread - Boca is not just some isolated suburbia. There are lots of bars, restaurants and fun stuff to do there. Fort Lauderdale is not too long a drive away with Los Olas Blvd and all that great stuff.

So, night life exists at both campuses. Rent is comparable, but traffic is horrid in Miami so try and live somewhere close to campus if you pick that one. Really it's all up to what you are looking for...like Hurricane95 said. Nobody is going to be able to tell you where it is going to be best for you...

6. cowsinmyhead

cowsinmyhead Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow Hurricane95 you're pretty fuc*in hot! There's a reason to go to Miami. haha

7. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]

hahahaha :laugh: :laugh:

That is actually not Hurricane95. Hurricane is a guy. That is some sort of real life model who is in the picture. He told me once when I assumed the same thing. Forget who it is now though.

8. Hurricane95

Hurricane95 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    haha

why is it that people automatically assume your avatar is a self portrait? I prefer picking an avatar I can enjoy looking at, over and over, without getting bored. It's more fun that way, although I am hot myself, but... :D

The model is named mercedes terrell btw