University of Miami School of Medicine-Ranking!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golgi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the Univ. Of Miami (Miller School of Med) ranks as a med school. Is it top 50, top 75 etc...? What are your general opinions on it? Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

golgi said:
Does anyone know how the Univ. Of Miami (Miller School of Med) ranks as a med school. Is it top 50, top 75 etc...? What are your general opinions on it? Thanks...

I don't know what their rank is, but I went there and am glad I did. Plus living in Miami was great.

according to usnews 2006, they are tied for 55th with 3 other schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Screw rank... even if they were not in to top 100 I would still probably pick them over any school for the exception of my state school, and the some of the top 20 schools.

fullefect1 said:
Screw rank... even if they were not in to top 100 I would still probably pick them over any school for the exception of my state school, and the some of the top 20 schools.

Yeah seriously. Those rankings are total bull. That 55th ranking is for research anyways if I'm not mistaken. That really means jack if you looking to see what school produces the "best" clinicians anyways.

If you're looking at a Florida school don't pick UF or USF just because of their ranking because I truly don't think it makes a difference. I'm willing to bet USF produces just as qualified doctors as either of their schools and it's not ranked among the top schools at all.

mikedc813 said:
Yeah seriously. Those rankings are total bull. That 55th ranking is for research anyways if I'm not mistaken. That really means jack if you looking to see what school produces the "best" clinicians anyways.

Well, unless I'm misreading, the U of M doesn't appear to make the top 50 in US News' Primary Care rankings this year either. But I agree that rankings should be considered less significant to applicants than other things.

Well, unless I'm misreading, the U of M doesn't appear to make the top 50 in US News' Primary Care rankings this year either. But I agree that rankings should be considered less significant to applicants than things like a school's match list.

Wait a minute, you think ranking mean nothing???

yeeeeeeahhhh, rankings aren't a whole lotta goooood.

go search the internet for how US News and World Report 'calculates' their rankings. there are plenty of websites exposing their total crappiness(for lack of a better word, it's late). IN FACT, SDN has their own page about this.

The dean of admissions at my local med school even said that there is a call for schools to boycott the US News rankings. i think he said that about half of the schools nationwide have refused to participate in the rankings anymore. a lot of it USN just makes up...

just go to a school that you're going to like, and that will work for you. also consider a glass of red wine once a day for heart health.

rank 125 = md

Well, unless I'm misreading, the U of M doesn't appear to make the top 50 in US News' Primary Care rankings this year either. But I agree that rankings should be considered less significant to applicants than things like a school's match list.

But Law2Doc as you always say, we undergrads don't know how to read a match list. So while the match list *should* be more important, rankings trump because we actually understand basic math!

But Law2Doc as you always say, we undergrads don't know how to read a match list. So while the match list *should* be more important, rankings trump because we actually understand basic math!

i dotn think you have to worry about match list until your accepted by many schools.. unless your very selective about the schools you apply to

I can tell you that UMiami is an excellent school with quality students and staff that care. It is in a prime location, has a great reputation, has a multicultural patient population and is located by Jackson Memorial Hospital, one of the busiest and most well known hospitals in the country. It also has a great match list which you can see on their website. Why isn't UM ranked higher? I have no idea. But it is a great school on the rise and I am proud to be a future student there. :love:

according to usnews 2006, they are tied for 55th with 3 other schools

FWIW, they ranked 56th in 2007 in research, and below 68th in Primary Care.... according to the all knowing US news and world report

Members don't see this ad :)
The US news reports are someone biased. Huge weight is given to NIH funding. UM has very little reason to apply for NIH as they have MASSIVE endowments that rival many of the US news schools in the top 3rd. Also their medical center is 2nd in size only to UCLA.

I agree that undergrads don't know how to read a match list. (FWIW, this thread was revived after a 15 month hiatus; my thoughts on this have a bit more perspective now than when I posted last to this thread.:rolleyes: To be fair, I probably wouldn't make the same post today).

Rankings are only as good as the criteria used. It would be difficult to say that a school ranked #55 was "not as good" as a school ranked #35 on the US News list, because the only real difference between the schools could easilly be some PhD somewhere on campus who you will perhaps never see, with a big NIH grant in a subject matter you will never study. Perhaps such a guy "puts the school on the map" and hence makes it better, but more likely not.
So use the rankings as a general guide (I did), understanding that the US News criteria really don't jibe that well with the criteria you yourself may deem inportant, and certainly doesn't necessarilly (or even usually) translate to a "better" school. The (research) rankings will tell you which schools are deemed research powerhouses, and the top of the list are generally the schools that add some "prestige" value to your CV, but it probably doesn't give you a good system to distinguish between, say, school #35 and school #40.

Dividing schools into top 10, top 20, ranked and unranked seems to be a workable, albeit unscientific, system for some for tiering schools within groupings which are pretty homogeneous, understanding that the edges of these groupings are not crisp, and that a handful of schools on either side of these edges are not distinguishable from the adjacent category.

The US news reports are someone biased. Huge weight is given to NIH funding. UM has very little reason to apply for NIH as they have MASSIVE endowments that rival many of the US news schools in the top 3rd. Also their medical center is 2nd in size only to UCLA.
what the heck are you talking about? endowments dont generally fund research initiatives (if at all). They fund tuition, physical plant, faculty salaries, etc. And believe me, UCLA medical center is not the largest. TMC is by far the largest medical complex which leads me to believe that you dont know what you're talking about. And since when did the size of the medical center mean anything? Many schools are affiliated with multiple hospitals, so whats the diff between one large hospital and three medium sized ones? anyway, i dont really have a point. im sure miami is a great school :D

umiami does have a great match list, incongruent with its ranking.

As a Florida resident I can say that UMiami is a great school along with the other Florida schools. While everyone on here knows I mostly speak of USF, I can tell you Miami is equally a good program although i don't know if I could for sure see myself living in Miami.

UMiami has ample research opportunities, and great clinicals. I think Brian touched upon all my points and I'd say I have to agree with him. I've not met many people from the faculty outside of Dr. hinkley, but let me tell you Dr. Hinkley is a trip. He actually reads SDN sometimes and kinda appointed one of the posters on here to be like a liason between SDN and Umiami if SDNers had questions.

The great thing, also, is that they have two pathways you can choose. If you want the smaller school, smaller city atmosphere you can go to their Boca campus, but if you want the bigger city, bigger class size envt you can go to the main campus provided you get in both campuses and have choice to choose.

At last years annual AAMC Meeting there was topical meeting on rankings. The basic short answer was that rankings sell magazines but are basically worthless. Most of the data collected is either flawed, made up, or very old. These commercial mags request data from med schools, some respond every year, some respond once every few years, others dont respond at all. The mags take whatever data they can find, guesstimate updates if the school hasnt sent anything in a few years, then use some odd categories to create a rank. You have four solid MD programs in Florida that will get you into ANY residency in ANY speciality if you work hard in that school. (Now a caveat here is that FSU hasnt built a rep with residencies and has a bit of a different mission, but from what I know they have had two successful matches to date that should continue.) So if rankings from mags are worthless and residencies are basically equal what's left? I submit that physical facilities are nice, but probably should be lower on the priority list. All four schools have basically equal electronics and technology. So now what is left? NIH ranking? Well if you are intending to do research, you probably wouldnt go to a Florida school because there are several better in the nation. There's another ranking that is skewed if you dont go to the source. Many Medical Schools include NIH monies from associated, but non-university grants in their self-professed total of research monies. Some schools only use the money to the Med School program. Look at individual programs at each med school -- for example NIH just published that USF is #3 in NIH Peds research, and #9 in Neurosurgery research. So maybe if you are interested in these areas USF may be a consideration. Look at each school and see if they provide the research mission you desire. So now what is left? Curriculum, support, clinical training, patient loads, patient diversity, case diversity, actual hands-on clinical training, student attitudes and satisfaction, et. al? Get away from the car salesman rhetoric and look at the evidence. The most accurate stats regarding MD Admissions comes from the database at AAMC. Look at the MSAR. Do your own homework --- or, more easily believe and repeat the rhetoric.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=187352

Here are the match lists for UMiami if you all are really interested.

That thread can show you the way to all match lists for other schools as well. :)
AWESOME thread. Thanks. :thumbup:

Allow me to weigh in a bit if I may. I've spent time with tons and tons of physicians in many capacities. One thing that they all tell me is that where you go to med school doesn't matter. (Except maybe if you want to match at Harvard rad onc. Then maybe you want to go to Harvard, Penn, Hopkins, et al. But even then I'll argue with you that it's selection bias: the students that match there to begin with are the ones who will go to those places for med school. As in, the med schools don't turn them into Harvard rad onc-matchable material. They did it themselves.) Med school is all what you want to make of it. Work your butt off, and you'll be a great doctor and match well wherever you go. Don't work your butt off and party at Harvard, and don't expect to match at BWH for, well, anything. 99% of physicians I've talked to say go to the cheapest school you get into so that you'll have the least debt when you get out.

At the end of the day, where you went to med school doesn't matter. If your mom has breast cancer, your kid was in a car accident, your wife/husband needs surgery...these things matter. The name on your med school degree doesn't.

I don't know how UM ranks in terms of a medical school.

I do know that you rotate through Jackson Memorial Hospital
which is reportedly one of the greatest places to get training
especially if you're interested in EM, surgery, anes, etc

I don't know how UM ranks in terms of a medical school.

I do know that you rotate through Jackson Memorial Hospital
which is reportedly one of the greatest places to get training
especially if you're interested in EM, surgery, anes, etc
Yeah, JMH has Ryder Trauma Center--one of the best places to train for trauma surgery in the country. :thumbup:

I had an interview at UMMSM@FAU and I liked it a lot. If you go to the FAU campus you can still do rotations at Jackson and you'll be the first medical students to go through BRCH. They have 4 "STAN" robot dudes (they really breath:eek: ) and the rectal and female pelvic models plus a head with eye and ear problems. There will only be 32 students for the co 2011. Everyone gets their own desk with desktop computer. There's a student lounge. They have really good professors too. The associate dean, Dr. Markowitz, was on Oprah (don't know why I'm assuming it's doctor related) and was the head of the cleveland clinic I believe. There's also a professor there who is brings in the 7th highest amount of $$$ to med schools. Plus all the lecture are video taped so you can watch them again/at home and you can also watch the miami campus lectures. All in all it's a great program I think but then again I've been a 'Canes fan since I was an egg and a sperm. :D :D :D :D

Yeah.......Its Pretty Much The Best Med School Ever

umiami does have a great match list, incongruent with its ranking.

Perhaps, but as I've suggested in numerous threads, premeds have no ability to determine a great from a mediocre match list. Nor even do most med students. The fact that X number of people go into derm or rads really doesn't tell you much about the school's match, because you don't know how many were interested in those fields, nor is a high percentage in competitive specialties significant if the majority of the class does not end up where they wanted to.
More importantly, you likely do not even know what places are good ones to match to. This is something you can only learn once you have picked a specialty and sat down with a mentor in the specialty who gives you the scoop on what schools have good reps and which are oppressive. The US News ranking of schools is irrelevant to the match, there are very prominent schools that are known to be deficient in certain departments, and schools like Harvard and Hopkins will routinely not be people's first choices in certain specialties. There are also schools you would not expect which happen to be the meccas of various specialties, and attract the best candidates over those you probably wrongly assumed were in the top 10.
Thus you probably want to stay away from phrases like "great" match list, as you cannot possibly know. I certainly don't, and am further down the path than you.

During the tour portion of my interview held this last Friday at UM Miami campus, the MS2 tour guide emphasized that Jackson Memorial is so understaffed that clinical rotations involve an above average amount of autonomy and involvement. He stated that there is much more doing than watching. This notion was supported by the med students at lunch also. They implied that match placement is good at Miami because of how prepared the med students are for clinical work.

During the tour portion of my interview ... the MS2 tour guide emphasized that Jackson Memoiral is so understaffed that clinical rotations involve an above average amount of autonomy and involvement.

This is a very strange statement and I am so confused; is understaffing supposed to be good??? If that is the case, any School can save money by firing a few staff members and becomig understaffed and thus great schools.

This is a very strange statement and I am so confused; is understaffing supposed to be good??? If that is the case, any School can save money by firing a few staff members and becomig understaffed and thus great schools.

Understaffing might be bad for the patient but good for the med student. As the primary goal of most medical institutions is to treat patients rather than educate med students, in most situations, staff would not be fired just so students can obtain more hands-on experience. understaffing at Jackson is not the situation that UM has chosen but is the situation they have been thrust into. As a result, med students obtain more meaningful clinical experience and patients have a higher chance of receiving sub-par care at the hands of inexperienced health care providers.

Understaffing might be bad for the patient but good for the med student. As the primary goal of most medical institutions is to treat patients rather than educate med students, in most situations, staff would not be fired just so students can obtain more hands-on experience. understaffing at Jackson is not the situation that UM has chosen but is the situation they have been thrust into. As a result, med students obtain more meaningful clinical experience and patients have a higher chance of receiving sub-par care at the hands of inexperienced health care providers.

There is a conflicting ethic issue involved here, the primary responsibility of the hospitals is patient care, educating students is an added bonus and it cannot and should not be achieved by compromising quality of patient care. In fairness to the patients the hospital should do whatever it can to assure adequate quality coverage. However, if the UM start considering it and advertising it to prospects as a student benifit to be understaffed, there is no incentive to spend money and hire more staff after which the School can no longer tell the prospective students that they have this great learning opportunity due to understaffing. That is just my thinking, I know I have a lot to learn before I can form an opinion.

I happen to be the MS2 medical student who gave the tour at UM the other day and made the comment. Here is a clarification of the situation.

Nationwide there is a nursing shortage – almost every hospital in the country has fewer nurses than what’s needed for optimal patient care. Jackson happens to be one of the largest and busiest hospitals in the country – thereby increasing the nature of the problem. Jackson can’t do anything about it – they would hire more nurses if they were available but they aren’t. Not only is the nursing system stressed, so are the attendings, residents, technicians, and other allied healthcare professionals. This chaos makes the medical student a more important member of the team. This increases the responsibility the medical student has in patient care and gives him more to do. This situation is probably not limited to the University of Miami. I would assume that many of the inner-city public hospitals have similar situations. So students at Emory, UCLA, and inner-city New York schools probably play a more active role in patient care. So yes, understaffing is an issue at most hospitals – but it is unavoidable. I should probably say that the staff at UM is overworked and therefore the med student gets to participate more in patient care.

small world :laugh:

Wow...I cant wait to get started!

I happen to be the MS2 medical student who gave the tour at UM the other day and made the comment. Here is a clarification of the situation.

Nationwide there is a nursing shortage – almost every hospital in the country has fewer nurses than what’s needed for optimal patient care. Jackson happens to be one of the largest and busiest hospitals in the country – thereby increasing the nature of the problem. Jackson can’t do anything about it – they would hire more nurses if they were available but they aren’t. Not only is the nursing system stressed, so are the attendings, residents, technicians, and other allied healthcare professionals. This chaos makes the medical student a more important member of the team. This increases the responsibility the medical student has in patient care and gives him more to do. This situation is probably not limited to the University of Miami. I would assume that many of the inner-city public hospitals have similar situations. So students at Emory, UCLA, and inner-city New York schools probably play a more active role in patient care. So yes, understaffing is an issue at most hospitals – but it is unavoidable. I should probably say that the staff at UM is overworked and therefore the med student gets to participate more in patient care.

If it takes that much verbage to "clarify" a remark you made off the cuff while conducting a tour, it's probably not something you should say ever again to a group of impressionable applicants. It's makes UM, Jackson, and you look bad.

If it takes that much verbage to "clarify" a remark you made off the cuff while conducting a tour, it's probably not something you should say ever again to a group of impressionable applicants. It's makes UM, Jackson, and you look bad.

There was no confusion with anything I said on the tour!

There was however some confusion with a post here on SDN which referred to something I said on the tour. If you spent time and read the above posts – the person I was talking to was NOT someone I gave a tour to. So I was clarifying it, and I’m not quite sure how that makes UM, Jackson, or myself look bad.

Also, for someone who seems to care about me looking bad – you might want to PM me next time before you make unwarranted personal attacks… Otherwise I find you to be quite the hypocrite.

A. what was the point of your comment??
B. I'd watch out because that student might conduct your tour.
C. I think its horrible that Jackson is understaffed but wonderful that it gives med students more interaction because of it.
D. In response to the original poster's post, rankings mean nothing unless you want to go o a top research school.

So I was clarifying it, and I’m not quite sure how that makes UM, Jackson, or myself look bad.
In many regards it makes UM look good because it means you will get to do a lot. On the downside, you'll probably get stuck with patient transfers a fair amount.

little_late_MD, what are you talking about? He gave excellent background information that further substantiated and bolstered his statement. Personally, I hope I can do an away rotation at Jackson Memorial. Hopefully I'll run into BrianUM if I do. UM sounds awesome. :thumbup:

There was no confusion with anything I said on the tour!

There was however some confusion with a post here on SDN which referred to something I said on the tour. If you spent time and read the above posts – the person I was talking to was NOT someone I gave a tour to. So I was clarifying it, and I'm not quite sure how that makes UM, Jackson, or myself look bad.

Also, for someone who seems to care about me looking bad – you might want to PM me next time before you make unwarranted personal attacks… Otherwise I find you to be quite the hypocrite.

I really don't like to do this sort of thing, but...

floridakppr said:
During the tour portion of my interview held this last Friday at UM Miami campus, the MS2 tour guide emphasized that Jackson Memorial is so understaffed that clinical rotations involve an above average amount of autonomy and involvement.

To which you replied...

kenmc3 said:

Are you sure you weren't responding to the student who was on your tour? If you weren't, then my apologies, but I think you could see where my confusion stems from.

Now from just these two posts, it seems to me that the applicant did not quite get the entirety of what you were saying. You were making a statement that is probably universally true of teaching hospitals, and making it seem like a uniquely Jackson phenomenon.

Why does it make Jackson look bad? Becasue it gives the impression that med students are running around willy-nilly doing things that they normally wouldn't be doing in a fully staffed hospital. Autonomous med students in clinical rotations, are you kidding me? As understaffed as Jackson may be, the med students are not running around playing at doctor in lieu of real physicians.

To me, the statement that you made on your tour gives an impression of Jackson that may not entirely be accurate to applicants who are hanging on your every word, as if it came from the lips of God himself. Think about it. If you said this in front of the dean, what kind of a look do you think you would get? Just consider that everything you say will get repeated 9 gajillion times to their premed friends. Unfortunately, if they didn't quite get what you were saying, this false impression will also be conveyed.

I guess I'm the jerk here, but I am allowed my opinion. I think that the perception your statement creates makes Jackson, UM (as the med school Jackson's students train at), and you (for training at this crazy hospital where med students run amock) look bad. Jackson is a quality hospital, where patients are the primary focus. Paitent care is never sacrificed for the sake of teaching, and med students on clinical rotations are never the final word in treatment. While they may not be supervised every minute of every day, they are by no means autonomous.

As to being a hypocrite, I'm not the one charged with presenting a positive image of the med school to prospective matriculants. I'm some random guy on an internet message board, and I'm not too concerned with my image here. You made statements on said message board, and I responded in kind. If that equates to a personal attack, then I do apologize, as that was not my intent.

a) You were making a statement that is probably universally true of teaching hospitals, and making it seem like a uniquely Jackson phenomenon.

b) Becasue it gives the impression that med students are running around willy-nilly doing things that they normally wouldn't be doing in a fully staffed hospital. Autonomous med students in clinical rotations, are you kidding me? As understaffed as Jackson may be, the med students are not running around playing at doctor in lieu of real physicians.

Jackson is a quality hospital, where patients are the primary focus. Paitent care is never sacrificed for the sake of teaching, and med students on clinical rotations are never the final word in treatment. While they may not be supervised every minute of every day, they are by no means autonomous.

c) As to being a hypocrite, I'm not the one charged with presenting a positive image of the med school to prospective matriculants. I'm some random guy on an internet message board, and I'm not too concerned with my image here. You made statements on said message board, and I responded in kind. If that equates to a personal attack, then I do apologize, as that was not my intent.

kenmc3, please correct me if any of the following is incorrect:

a) The statement that Jackson provides more hands-on opportunities does not exclude any other school from having the same luxury. He did not make this seem like a unique phenomenon that no other teaching hospital could have.

b) As a result of the understaffing, med students at UM are more likely to encounter specific procedures and certain clinical tasks that some med schools might not provide the opportunity. (Autonomy is a seperate issue and was probably an example of poor word choice on my part)

c) You are not a random guy. You are a SDN user who has a publicily available posting history. An accumulation of aggressive posts that might be peceived as attempts to illicit flame wars will result in banishment.

a) The statement that Jackson provides more hands-on opportunities does not exclude any other school from having the same luxury. He did not make this seem like a unique phenomenon that no other teaching hospital could have.

Correct, like I said – EVERY hospital is understaffed; there is a national nursing shortage. Now combine that with Jackson being a VERY busy facility and you get overworked understaffed caretakers. This definitely occurs at other medical centers in the country – anywhere there is a large busy medical center. More likely at UCLA – less likely at UF-Shands.

b) As a result of the understaffing, med students at UM are more likely to encounter specific procedures and certain clinical tasks that some med schools might not provide the opportunity. (Autonomy is a seperate issue and was probably an example of poor word choice on my part)

Yeah it is less autonomy and more opportunity. Like I said – because everyone is overworked, the medical student becomes a more important member of the team.

Are you sure you weren't responding to the student who was on your tour? If you weren't, then my apologies, but I think you could see where my confusion stems from.

Yes – I am positive… floridakppr was on the tour. I was replying to FloridaMD who was confused by what floridakppr had posted.

Now from just these two posts, it seems to me that the applicant did not quite get the entirety of what you were saying. You were making a statement that is probably universally true of teaching hospitals, and making it seem like a uniquely Jackson phenomenon.

Wrong – the applicant was not confused. Someone else was.
Also I specifically said in my post that this was not a situation limited to Jackson.

...it gives the impression that med students are running around willy-nilly doing things that they normally wouldn't be doing in a fully staffed hospital. Autonomous med students...

I never used the word autonomy – someone else did – All I said was it makes the medical student a more important and more involved member of the medical team.

To me, the statement that you made on your tour gives an impression of Jackson that may not entirely be accurate to applicants who are hanging on your every word, as if it came from the lips of God himself.

A great example of why hearsay is inadmissible in court.

Think about it. If you said this in front of the dean, what kind of a look do you think you would get?

I don't believe Dr. Hinkley would argue with anything I ACTUALLY SAY on the tour.

Just consider that everything you say will get repeated 9 gajillion times to their premed friends. Unfortunately, if they didn't quite get what you were saying, this false impression will also be conveyed.

This is a risk in any form of communication. I do my best to convey things accurately when I talk to student, patients, friends, my wife etc. I can't be responsible for a bunch of nervous pre-meds twisting things I say. I did it when I was a nervous pre-med and it will continue for all eternity.

I guess I'm the jerk here, but I am allowed my opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

Paitent care is never sacrificed for the sake of teaching, and med students on clinical rotations are never the final word in treatment. While they may not be supervised every minute of every day, they are by no means autonomous.

"Objection, hearsay" – I never said any of this.

US News heavily biases its ranking system to NIH grants. Miami has a LOT of private funding. There was a single gift of $100 million from a single donor last year (Mr. Miller, hence the new name of the school). Miami also takes a lot of Miami undergrad students. This may actually pull down SOME of the average stats and impact the ranking.

The primary care rankings just take into account the number of people going into primary care as its major ranking criteria. Miami works with Jackson, a huge hospital with many specialty residencies. Many Miami students go after medical specialties that are not in primary care. Thus, they will have a poor primary care rank.