University of Miami scondary...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruinmojo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that filling this one out,
Are you guys typing on it, wirting right on it, or typing on the computer and printing it and then just pasting it on.

Just wished they were all online :/

Members don't see this ad.

Type type type.....For the essay, I printed it directly on the form. Make sure you have no errors. The adcom there is horrible. Good luck.....

GATC,

I hand wrote mine. What do you mean the adcom there's "horrible" ?

- Focus

Members don't see this ad :)
Focus,
Handwriting the secondary is frowned down upon in most cases. Don't worry about the adcom. They have a tendancy to make many people wait for a long time to see if they get in or not. They didn't communicate very well with their applicants last cycle, but I've been told that it was due to the AMCAS debacle of last year. You guys should be fine this cycle. Whatever the adcoms did last year worked. My class is filled with great people. Most of them are nice and very helpful. It seems the adcoms really thought over the composition of my class makeup because people are really clicking (and it's been only a week). Also, the faculty is awesome. They are really cool and receptive to your needs and concerns. I am having the best time here.

I heard that the first interview day is September 13. Maybe I'll see some of you guys around the medical school building soon. Best of luck to you!!! :D

canes2006 I am wondering who you are....

I have lots of friends in your class and yes they're great.....

About the admissions last year....it was more than a debacle...it was appalling.

and....type your secondaries. Even if the adcoms don't mind, most other applicants will have typed them and you will already be at a disadvantage.

says who? Who said this about being disadvantaged if you hand write it??? I have been calling each school individually and asking htem if it matters and guess what, they said NO!!

I guess I am just pissed because it's taken me so long only to find out that my gut instinct is probably right. Perhaps i should make a thread about this.

Originally posted by GATC
canes2006 I am wondering who you are....

I have lots of friends in your class and yes they're great.....

About the admissions last year....it was more than a debacle...it was appalling.

and....type your secondaries. Even if the adcoms don't mind, most other applicants will have typed them and you will already be at a disadvantage.

GATC,
I don't know who you are either. I can't remember if you went to UM undergrad or not. Nevertheless, I thought they handled the admission's process in an unprofessional matter at some points (like not telling you if you were on the waitlist or not....although they did clear it up later, albeit late). But, it's not much worse than what I have seen other people experience with other schools (lost transcripts, secondaries, etc). I wouldn't go as far as saying it was appalling. Then, again, I did get in at the end. :D

Yes I did attend UM undergrad. While the application process is arduous and at times taxing, UM made the experience for me and my friends seem like a nightmare. Many of my friends from UM undergrad did not receive secondaries with good GPAs and MCAT scores. After waiting months, they send us letters asking if we were still interested in being admitted. I mean, what do you think...I applied didn't I? So, by then I had already been admitted and it was when they became interested in me....screw that.

The interview demonstrated the same level of unproffesionalism that I experienced throughout the process. Mr. Hinkly, albeit a very intelligent man, lacked honesty. In addition, the whole Florida resident thing was a joke, especially since they are trying to attract out of state applicants in hopes of raising their ebbing rank.

I guess I sound bitter no? Well it is because I went to UM undergrad in hopes of attending their medical school. In recent years it has been decaying. I still believe that the clinical exposure at Jackson is one of the best in the country and I hope Shalala cleans out the admissions department there. It is time for a change.