Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

University of Miami Thoughts

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by bigdan, Dec 27, 2008.

1. bigdan

bigdan SDN Donor
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sorry to start a whole new thread for this, but here goes:

Can anyone who's already interviewed there steer me towards (or away from) a hotel? I'm gonna be there for 3 nights. My sister lives in Ft. Lauderdale but reports that Miami rush hour traffic is hell on earth so I shouldn't try to drive in from there. Money is, of course, an issue, but I have standards (not very high standards, but I have some standards nonetheless).

BIG ASS thanks in advance for any thoughts.

dc

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. zippy2u

zippy2u Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Why not do something different in your life. Find the closest hostel for about $5/night and crash there for 3 nights. Betcha meet a bunch of interesting people, moreso than at a Marriot. Run on down to the local yacht basin and offer about $50 to a sailor to sleep on a boat for a couple nights, they usually will provide a place to shower on the premises. Getcha self over to a campground and pitch a tent--also usually have a place to shower. It's only 3 days dog, run with it! Regards, ----Zippy

4. coprolalia

coprolalia Bored Certified
    2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There are many clubs that stay open 24 hrs. You can just hang there. And, the ocean is close by... that's the biggest bathtub there is. There's enough naked/near-nude people on South Beach that no one will notice or care while you're changing into your interview suit. Besides, the ocean gives you that nice, fresh, beachy smell that drives the women crazy...

-copro

5. Planktonmd

Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A bit expensive but my favorite:
    http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Hotels/Miami-Beach-Hotel/Overview.aspx

6. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    If I were you, I'd stay with your sister and just get up early. Miami traffic really *is* hellish, especially in season, but you can make it down on time with no problem as long as you're on the road before rush hour starts. You could also look into taking the Tri-Rail down. I've never lived there or taken it, so I can't personally vouch for how good the service is, but it does stop at Jackson according to the website. If you really want to stay in a hotel, try calling the med school and asking them which hotels they recommend for interviewees. Hey, you *are* an interviewee, right??? :D

Lucky you coming down to the Sunshine State this time of year, and best of luck with your interviews. :)

7. cchoukal

cchoukal Senior Member
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I second the Loew's. I was there for SAMBA last may and was really impressed. The hostel thing is a great idea, although I have a couple observations:

1) hostels in the US are usually much less nice than those in Europe. If you're thinking a hostel would be acceptable based on your experiences in Europe, you might be really disappointed.

2) I've seen a few hostels post policies specifically forbiding people from using them for job interview or conference travel. I'm sure you could slip it by "the man," but something to consider.

Sorry that's probably not super helpful.

8. doctor712

Removed 2+ Year Member

I do the Ft Lauderdale-area to Jackson Memorial commute as part of new premed research spot. The 405/101 Freeway interchange in LA at 830am is HELL on earth. The LIE at 8am into the tunnel is HELL on earth. Miami is nuttin'. :D

Actually, how about you stay in my place and I'll take your room in the Loews???!!! Ill leave mints on the bed and a copy of Miller in the fridge...?

But seriously, I notice that if I'm on the road at 645, I'm golden. If you have an AM interview, beat the rush, take 95 south to exit 3A and you're in. Parking is pricy. Go for a cheap lot, not the U Miami Hospital lot at $20/day Walk the block. I recently did a few test-traffic rides because of my new spot. It's pretty consistently good before 7am from FLL.

Idea: Look into any of the hotels that might be right near MIA. It's 10 minutes to the hospital from the airport.

I'm partial to the Fountainbleau Hotel (north of the Loews) on the Beach simply because my friend's grandfather was the architect and I used to go there as a child. As a total random note, the reason why there are those bow ties on the marble floors is because said grandfather was a bow tie lover. (Morrie Lapidus). Also, Jerry Lewis made "The Bellboy" here and as the world's greatest 35 y/o Jerry fan, done deal.

For newer, the Loews' is great. Drove by last night and it is always a nice and busy atmosphere. Also, the Intercontinental is right near the American Airlines arena downtown so if the Heat are playing a game and you like BBall...? It's very convenient to Jackson as well.

Good luck!
    D712

p.s. I'm also a Long Island convert (born Stony Brook, raised Jericho). BEST OF LUCK AND CONTINUED SUCCESS!

#7 doctor712, Dec 28, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  9. facted

facted ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Tri-rail to metro mover isn't a bad idea. I did it for a summer actually (a few years ago) and from my stop in Hollywood, it took about 1:15 and hella cheaper than parking and you'll save a ton on the hotel if you stay with your sister. Look it up.

10. HurricaneKatt

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :laugh::love: I love beaches and anything beach related!

I don't know of any hotels sorry, but one option would be to talk to someone at the airport there and see who offers pick up/drop off services and what the best and cheapest hotels are.

11. bigdan

bigdan SDN Donor
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Guys - thanks much for the replies!

dc