University of Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tosh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just received an email inviting me for an interview to UM at the end of January. I was wondering if any of you received something like that, and for those ppl who did already have one - how was the whole interview process ?? Any specific questions ?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed with them on the 3rd. It's very casual and the students and faculty were all very nice and helpful.
I think the interview depends on which person you actually interview with. But still, very informal. Mine was more concerned about answering any questions I had rather than challenging me with any tough questions.
There were a few general questions about why PT and why at Miami.
The only 'tough' question he asked was 'ethics' - what would I do if I was enrolled at Miami and I noticed my roommate was cheating on an online exam. Which wasn't too bad, and the rest was very comfortable chit chat.
Hope that helps!

Do you know when UM is supposed to send out acceptances after you have interviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tosh,

When did PTCAS send your application? Just wondering when I should expect an invite.:xf:

Architect2PT thanks for the info ! Did you ask them how many ppl are they interviewing this year ?
WahooDPT - I submitted my app on the 10/14 but I added Miami a day before their deadline which was 11/01 right ?

Any other feedback ? Anyone ? !

thanks ! :)

any acceptances from MIAMI yet!!!! ?? :)

I found out yesterday that I got in!!!!! They want a deposit in 7 days and I don't know what to do....help!!!!!

Any other feedback ? Anyone ? !

thanks ! :)

I have a little bit of information to pass on to those of you that are interested in the University of Miami since it is my first choice. My PTCAS application was mailed out on October 5th and I received an email on October 20th notifying me of an interview. I interviewed on November 11th and I received a letter of acceptance (hand delivered by certified mail) on the 8th of December. The interview process was very well organized and I was blown away by the campus, the faculty and the current PT students (who stuck around and answered any questions that we had when they didn't have to be there, and they even had a midterm EARLY that morning that they were probably up really late studying for). For me, that fact alone says a lot about the program! It just felt like a family to me. I was very impressed. The interview was laid back but professional. Be ready to explain why you chose Miami. Don't be nervous though, just be confident in your answers and be yourself. All the guys wore a suit and tie and the girls wore a nice skirt or business suit. If anyone has any other specific questions I would be glad to help out in any way I can. Good luck to everyone!

Sergent, I'm also going for an interview in late January... VERY excited. When you received your acceptance did they ask for your commitment within 7 days as well?

I'm concerned about that because a lot of the other schools I applied to said they would contact me in mid-January about an interview and I want to know all my options before making a decision.

Thanks for your help!

Sergent, I'm also going for an interview in late January... VERY excited. When you received your acceptance did they ask for your commitment within 7 days as well?

I'm concerned about that because a lot of the other schools I applied to said they would contact me in mid-January about an interview and I want to know all my options before making a decision.

Thanks for your help!

7 days is correct. It seems a bit fast to make a decision, but I think they make quite a bit of money that way. It sucks too, because then they don't know for sure how many people are going to drop out when they get offers to other schools. Most other schools are $1000 I think, so 500 wasn't so bad. I sent my $500 deposit off the next day. That was the good part about knowing that's where I wanted to go. I am still waiting for a state school to contact me though, but I couldn't pass up a guaranteed offer at that time. $500 in the grand scheme of things isn't that much money to have options later. Good luck with your interview. And it will probably be at least two or three weeks after your interview that you will hear back from them so it may work out perfectly for you.

7 days is correct. It seems a bit fast to make a decision, but I think they make quite a bit of money that way. It sucks too, because then they don't know for sure how many people are going to drop out when they get offers to other schools. Most other schools are $1000 I think, so 500 wasn't so bad. I sent my $500 deposit off the next day. That was the good part about knowing that's where I wanted to go. I am still waiting for a state school to contact me though, but I couldn't pass up a guaranteed offer at that time. $500 in the grand scheme of things isn't that much money to have options later. Good luck with your interview. And it will probably be at least two or three weeks after your interview that you will hear back from them so it may work out perfectly for you.
Thanks for the info. It's good to have a definite first choice in these situations (where else did you apply and decide not to go if you don't mind me asking..trying to feel out other programs). One more question, were there any written/essay type questions or was everything verbal?

Best of luck next year!

Thanks for the info. It's good to have a definite first choice in these situations (where else did you apply and decide not to go if you don't mind me asking..trying to feel out other programs). One more question, were there any written/essay type questions or was everything verbal?

Best of luck next year!

I applied and was accepted to U Southern Cal and I still haven't heard from Northern AZ. I think USC would be awesome, but the tuition is a little steep (51,000 for the first two years, and 35,000 for the third). There were no written or essay type questions thank goodness. That would have scared me to death! I just got a few personality type questions...How do you deal with stress? What was the best day of your life? What was the worst day of your life? What made it the worst/best? That was all one question at one time and that was the toughest question I got! Why did I pick Miami? They pretty much know you from your application, they just want to see how you interact with them and how you think on your toes. I wouldn't worry about the interview. Just don't stress and you'll do great! Good luck.

Has anyone else been accepted yet? I was accepted about a week ago now and just sent in my deposit! LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOO UM CLASS OF '14.

if you were accepted, where are you coming from? Im coming from UF...

hey gatorboy...I just sent in my deposit last week!!! so excited! I'm coming from California :) can't enough of the sun! do you know how you're planning on looking for housing?