University of Miami!!!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

Eraserhead

Alright, so I'm from San Francisco and now I have an interview and I know nothing about the school. Is it in the city itself?? Anyone a student there with anything to add before I go? I guess it might be my first interview....

Members don't see this ad.

yeah i got the Miami interview invite also. not entirely sure if i am going to go however. i do have one question that a Miami student or someone who has interviewed there before might know: on their list of available dates they only go up until about the middle of November, but since I am from Florida i would prefer to interview around the time of Thanksgiving or Winter break so i could just drive from my home...are there more available dates that I am simply not aware of? also, i second Kevin's questions...is it near the undergrad campus or is it in the city? do you really need to be able to speak spanish? any help is appreciated.

Yes, and how expensive is housing??? I know Miami is expensive.... ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did the invite come via mail or e-mail?

Email

Oh yeah, and I only have 4 years of high school Spanish, would that be a problem at Miami hospitals?

I didnt get one yet....I called when i saw DocKevins post. They said my app hadnt been looked at yet...."but when will they look again" respone "its rolling admissions" "I mean when willthe commitie meet again to review apps?" "constantly." "You mean right now they are reading apps" "well no.." "You mean tommorow they will read more apps?" "Well not tommorow.." "Well when?!" "Its ongoing, rolling...you know" "SON OF A DAM MUTHER FUNKER ****!!!!"

Well the last part didnt happen.....

Same with USF, they were nice enough to say that the commitie meet each monday, intives given on tues, except this tues because of early addmision interviews being held. SO Miami was that to hard to say?

I hate it when these ad com people think they are doing you a favor but making you wait blindly for months...after taking our 75 bucks.....

ahhh, thats better.

I'm waiting for tons of schools HighTrump, don't worry. I too feel like they took my 80 bucks and went out to lunch/ drinks with it but I'm sure they have not.

And the rejections are coming already :( so if you don't get those its only a good sign.

Anybody know the schedule for the interview day itself (ie, check-in, lunch, one-on-one interview, etc)? I got the email invite too.

Originally posted by DieselPetrolGrl
and gosh...everyone here doesnt speak spanish..but it may seem like it..do what ive done for 19 yrs..smile politely and turn up your nose! (dont tell them how u took SPA 101 and got a C or they will try to like help u along by tecahing u stupid phrases!!)

"Turning up your nose" at them? Geez! Aren't you friendly. I hope you won't do that when you see Spanish speaking patients because you probably won't end up with many patients in the end if you demonstrate such a condescending attitude to people of another culture. And what the heck does "tecahing" mean?? Maybe you should brush up on your English before someone turns up their nose at you.

CANES2006, my thoughts exactly :rolleyes:

I got the Miami invite today as well and am really looking forward to interviewing at this school. Although it may not have the USNews hype, I definitely view it as one of my top choices. From everyone I've talked to, it seems like a wonderful place to learn medicine because the students and administration are incredibly supportive.

ok
im sorry
yes i was wrong
i didnt mean any harm

bye

Hi DoctorKevin, I live in SF too and will be heading to Miami for my first interview on Oct 24. I lived in South Florida when I was little and I visited Miami Beach in May. From what I can tell, Jackson Memorial Medical Center is very near to or in the middle of the city, and not very far from Miami Beach at all. Should be a good location. The actual U of Miami campus is further south in posh Coral Gables, but the med center is in Miami itself. Good luck getting in-- I can say that after living in SF, Miami is one of the few other cities where I can readily imagine myself living a year from now!;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I had my interview in Sept. and I loved the school and the city. I really hope they accept me, its so hard to wait this long. Good luck to you!

DocKevin,
I totally agree. I had my interview in Sept. too, and I was so impressed by the school, staff, faculty and esp. the students. I hope I get some good news this coming Wednesday!

I still haven't heard anything from Dr. Hinkley. He said that he would call people on 10/8, and still no call. Anyone else that interviewed last month get the 10/8 phone call?

i'm waiting too.... so agonizing, i really want to get in..... anyways, he said anyday from 10.8 to 10.20 ... so who knows? a lot has to do on what the admissions committee decides to look at first and how fast they might get through them and it's possible he's calling a few people each day. but man, i have so many expensive interviews coming up soon and i would cancel all but one of them if i knew that i was in miami cause i liked that school soooo much.

He told our group (9/19) that he'd call 10/8 or 10/22. I really don't want to wait till the 22nd. I may just call and talk to his secretary. This wait is awful!

SonGoku-

Did you call? I would call but I don't want to bother them twice if not necessary. Yes, I plan to cancel 4 interviews if accepted this week.... waiting is so difficult.

Let me know if you guys hear anything.

for cheapest + decent/good touristy location housing in miami opt to

DieselPetroGrl- Your post doesn't make any sense to me.

Kevin

anybody else get a reminder email from dr. h. telling us what we're missing for the secondary? pretty good customer service if you ask me!

Has anyone whose application was complete in mid-September received an interview from Miami yet? I'm still waiting...

My letters of rec were mailed on 8/29, so I'm guessing my app was considered complete as of about 9/5. I received the interview email on 9/15 and I'm heading there for the interview on 10/24. Good luck getting an interview!

hey guys...just wondering if anyone's gotten a call or a letter of acceptance from miami yet...i interviewed there a few weeks ago, but still no reply....this waiting is killling me!

I called, and Ms. Murphy said they should let people know on 10/22. They couldn't meet the 10/8 deadline because of some computer glitch. I interviewed on 9/19, and this waiting is killing me.

What kind of picture did you send? I have a bunch of 2" x 2" passport-style photos that I've been sending to schools, but UM instructions say 2" x 3" passport style, not 2 by 2.

Has anyone sent a regular 2by2 picture? Did they take it?

Originally posted by Alcon

Has anyone sent a regular 2by2 picture? Did they take it?

I used one of the same 2"x2" passport-size photos I've used for all the other schools and there was no problem. I'm interviewing there this Friday, so it must have been fine.

hey for those of you who've already interviewed at um, did anyone get a call last night from dr. hinkley? i didn't, and that can't be a good sign, right? :( hopefully dr hinkley just ran out of time or something! gotta hold onto hope...not much else to do at this point!

I haven't heard anything yet either. Did you interview on 9/19?

yep i did....i talked to the secretary on monday, and she said we should have an answer by the end of this week....and that dr hinkley would call only if he had time....

i really really hope we do hear by tomorrow! i hate waiting for the mail!

hey i sent you a PM :)

I just got an e-mail and I'm in. Check your email.

:laugh: Now what do I do with myself?

i dont have an email yet :( gotta keep refreshing!

To Kevin and Tiresias ;) ,
Congrats guys! I unfortunately got the dreaded alternate list email. Hopefully I will be able to join you guys soon tho.
:)

hey fellow miami-ers. Congrats on your acceptance/waitlist. I got in too, but I'll be attending another school closer to my home. Miami was a GREAT school though and I'm sure in the end, we're all gonna be happy wherever we go. Sungoku, don't worry, since they're taking so many outa staters, that wait list will really be moving soon because out of state applicants usually apply to so many schools. best of luck everyone. :clap:

Thanks melunman. Congrats on your other acceptance! :clap: Best of luck to you.

Yeah, honestly the chances of me actually going there are very slim although I would be happy there either way.

I'm sure you'll get in eventually if that's your first choice.

Nope apparently not anymore... it was also stated on my interview day that eventually about 50% of the class will be out of state. Right now there are 35 spots available for out of staters. If you are out of state, it seems like you need at least a 3.6 and a 30 or other things they really want. The average MCAT there was about a 28 I believe.