Quantcast

University of Michigan Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LauraMac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
AndyMilonakis said:
I think Michigan has a great shot at winning the national championship this upcoming year? Why? Cuz I'm moving out of Ann Arbor.

See, Michigan won the championship (well they shared with the Huskers) in 1997. Then I started med school here that summer right after that. We've been in a championship drought obviously. Now that I'm leaving though, Michigan should be in prime position to win the national championship!

Go Blue!

What's funny is that one of my co-residents at the Brigham is from Ohio State. We're gonna be razzin' each other about the Michigan-OSU rivalry during residency :laugh:

doesn't that suck how as soon as you leave the sports teams get really good? that kind of happened to me when i graduated high school, as lame as a comparison as that is. anyway, i hope you're right and that we do win a championship next year, esp. since i'm almost positive i'll still be here. :)

GO BLUE!

gbiz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
LauraMac said:
doesn't that suck how as soon as you leave the sports teams get really good?
GO BLUE!

What are you talking about? They went to the Rose Bowl the past two years, and have been in a bowl every year since they last won the national championship! Yeh they have a shot in 2005 (2003 Rose Bowl rematch, USC vs UMich!), but they had an incredible team in 2003 who definatly had a chance and finished the season ranked 4th (even though I think Henne is 20x better then Navarre), and a great but young team in 2004.

So, can Umich loose the Rose Bowl three years in a row? (Hey, nobody has lost the Rose Bowl more then UofM!!!)

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Thanks AndyM for the informative post!

I just got the "Where do you go from here?" booklet in the mail. I love how they send us these things. :love: :love: :love:

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Oh Andy,

This "phat" apt. in Ypsi that you're talking about...does it have washer and dryer, dishwasher, and 2 bathrooms?

LULU

B

b&ierstiefel

MadameLULU said:
Oh Andy,

This "phat" apt. in Ypsi that you're talking about...does it have washer and dryer, dishwasher, and 2 bathrooms?

LULU
Actually my apartment is on the edge of Ann Arbor right next to Ypsilanti but semantics schmantics...

Our apartment is 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, washer and dryer in one of the bathrooms, dishwasher. All for $1095/month. Unfortunately, utilities are not included and cable/internet/water/gas/electricity ain't too cheap. As for phones, SBC rips you off big time. Just stick with your cell phone. Don't bother with the landline (unless you plan on using dialup internet service...which IMHO sucks rat testicles).

If you're interested, check out www.villagegreen.com . The apartment community is about 10-15 min away from Ann Arbor depending on traffic.

B

b&ierstiefel

MadameLULU said:
Thanks AndyM for the informative post!

I just got the "Where do you go from here?" booklet in the mail. I love how they send us these things. :love: :love: :love:
So you're coming to Michigan, right? ;)

LauraMac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
gbiz said:
What are you talking about? They went to the Rose Bowl the past two years, and have been in a bowl every year since they last won the national championship! Yeh they have a shot in 2005 (2003 Rose Bowl rematch, USC vs UMich!), but they had an incredible team in 2003 who definatly had a chance and finished the season ranked 4th (even though I think Henne is 20x better then Navarre), and a great but young team in 2004.

So, can Umich loose the Rose Bowl three years in a row? (Hey, nobody has lost the Rose Bowl more then UofM!!!)

i think we're all so greedy we want nothing less than a national championship. :)

B

b&ierstiefel

MadameLULU said:
I have a feeling that's where I'll end up this fall... but i still have to weigh a couple of other options
you have chosen.....wisely. muahhahahahahahahah :D

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
CreativeWriter said:
Go Blue! University of Michigan Medical School

I am thrilled for the opportunity, and definitely, I am going!

How quickly this post became relevant. Recent reports have you considering Stanford and other top schools. I don't recall UMich being in the running.

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MadameLULU said:
I have a feeling that's where I'll end up this fall... but i still have to weigh a couple of other options

I finally figured out who carlosmielefan is. He is a douchebag. Good luck at UMich. My bf - um, gf - goes there and loves it so much he- um, she - begged for me to seriously consider it. I chose not to making my chief regret probably never meeting you.

mafiate

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
when does orientation start? does anyone know?

Members don't see this ad :)

CreativeWriter

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GuyLaroche said:
How quickly this post became relevant. Recent reports have you considering Stanford and other top schools. I don't recall UMich being in the running.

I am still considering UMich. I am going to revisit both schools, and make up my mind, once I have receive their financial aid packages. Don't be such a hater...GuyLaroche... :rolleyes:

gomizzou

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When did they say the financial aid info. would be available? I'm sure I have it written down somewhere...I think I remember them saying at a certain date you could send an email and then they would try to get back to you with a fairly accurate estimate within a few days.
Thanks.

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's looking pretty good for me being a Wolverine next year. The rest of my ambitions were quashed, so it's made my decision easier. I loved Michigan at my interview and knew that I could be happy there, now it looks like that's where I'm going.

If only they'd won the Frozen Four...

Though now I'm thinking there's no reason for me to go to Second Look Weekend. If I'm already leaning in that direction, I should save the money and try to pay off some of my staggeringly horrible medical bills.

See you in August!

gbiz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
DianaLynne said:
!

IF ONLY THEY MADE THE FROZEN FOUR, LEAVE ALONE WINNING IT!!!!!

They lost in the round before it.

That game against CC was soooo dissapointing. Up 3-0 against #1 seed CC, to squander it all away in regulation, keeping in mind that many believe Montoya is the best goalie in college hockey! Seriously though, they did not look like they wanted that game, especially after they were down 4-3. They completely folded.

frantic983

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unless something crazy happens over the next few months, it is likely that I'll be a wolverine in august. I am excited and honestly didn't think I would get into such a great program.

LauraMac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
DianaLynne said:
It's looking pretty good for me being a Wolverine next year. The rest of my ambitions were quashed, so it's made my decision easier. I loved Michigan at my interview and knew that I could be happy there, now it looks like that's where I'm going.

Though now I'm thinking there's no reason for me to go to Second Look Weekend. If I'm already leaning in that direction, I should save the money and try to pay off some of my staggeringly horrible medical bills.

See you in August!

you should come anyway, so you can meet some of your super awesome future classmates. :D

sockandmittens

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- I was curious whether or not anyone is still unsure and considering other schools? I'm debating between UMich (no money), U Chicago (money), Cornell, and UPenn- I'm out of state so mich isn't cheap for me and the discussion on the match leaves me a little wary as I'm from the west coast (NW) and well would like to end up on the coasts after medschool. For those who are at Mich- did you consider any of these same schools? Thanks =)

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
LauraMac said:
you should come anyway, so you can meet some of your super awesome future classmates. :D

I do keep thinking that, but then I think I'll meet all you super awesome classmates pretty soon anyway!

And yeah, stupid Colorado College. Oh well, next year! I went to one of the hockey games the night of my interview, Ruiz suggested I go since I'm such a big fan. I had a great time.

Plus, I finally got my fleece! They sent it to my mom's address and I got it over Spring Break. I''m so cool! :cool:

swf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So who else is planning on going to Michigan's second look? Is anyone else coming somewhat late? (I'll probably be there by Friday evening/ night).

Oh, also, a question for the girls out there: they say we have to wear "professional attire" for the hospital rounds. Does this mean a suit? Or would some nice pants with a sweater set or whatever be acceptable? (Don't laugh at my ignorance - I'm British, so I don't always understand you people and your jargon ;) )

Hope to meet some of you in a couple weeks :)

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I bet professional attire for women could easily be slacks and a nice sweater or button up blouse. It would be nice to be in a medical school without my black skirt suit on!

frantic983

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I must be the only one on the U of M block without a fleece yet!

chopper

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
frantic983 said:

Count me in with you. No fleece, but I just got word today that I have been awarded a 10K/yr merit scholarship!

See you all at the second look weekend.

frantic983

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
that is great about the scholarship. Did anyone ask to have a meeting with the financial aid office? I am interested in what the financial aid package will look like. I am sure the fleece is nice, but that scholarship probably gives you a warm feeling inside!

LauraMac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for anyone who cares, i heard that 40% of the incoming class will get some scholarship money. :)

frantic983

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are UM people planning on setting up housing???? Finding roomates, location, etc.

frantic983

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thats just about what % is from out of state :)

LauraMac said:
for anyone who cares, i heard that 40% of the incoming class will get some scholarship money. :)

LauraMac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
frantic983 said:
Thats just about what % is from out of state :)

plenty of instate people get some of that scholarship money, too. ;)

LauraMac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
frantic983 said:
How are UM people planning on setting up housing???? Finding roomates, location, etc.

are you going to welcome weekend or 2nd look weekend? if so, you could meet potential roomies then and maybe tour places at that time. otherwise, the "white coat ghetto" apparently has apartments available all the time, so you could wait til the last minute to sign a lease if you wanted to live there, which a ton of med students do.

as for me, i think i'm living with one of my friends from undergrad who is going to grad school here. this is assuming i go here, but who are we kidding, i'm 99% sure i'm sticking around.

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
frantic983 said:

you might want to post that you're interested in finding a roomie on the discussion board

swf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
frantic983 said:
M2 @ UM now pass/ fail. This makes me really happy.

Me too :thumbup: :) Finding this out definitely inspired a chicken dance moment on my part - much to the amusement of my roomies....
YAY for P/F :love:

LauraMac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
frantic983 said:
After going to Hopkins for undergrad, living anywhere that has "ghetto" in the name becomes immediately unappealing. :)

Yea, I'll be doing the second look weekend. Keep your eyes open for the 6'2" guy with a swimmer build who is late for everything.

i'm a big fan of the swimmer's build. :love:

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, folks, I'm in on 2nd Look! I'll see you guys there!

Has there been any word lately on merit scholarships? Anyone else heard anything?

gomizzou

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't make the chat tonight and was wondering if anyone would be willing to copy and paste it to an email for me (if that is even possible). I want to hear what is available in terms of international opportunities. If so, shoot me a pm and I will give you my email addy. Thanks in advance.

Jennifer25

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
gomizzou said:
I can't make the chat tonight and was wondering if anyone would be willing to copy and paste it to an email for me (if that is even possible). I want to hear what is available in terms of international opportunities. If so, shoot me a pm and I will give you my email addy. Thanks in advance.

Ditto.

Thanks!

BravaItaliana

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
frantic983 said:

I didn't get a fleece either. And yes, I'm bitter.

Maybe I'll ask about it at Second Look: "Hey Robert, so um I heard some people got fleeces when they were accepted. So um where's mine?"
I'm thinking we should use it as leverage for better finaid packages =)

gomizzou

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't worry, no fleece on this end either. Plus, the financial aid estimate wasn't so hot either....coincidence?

Dr..Dr...Dr..

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went on the admitted students website and asked the administration why some people received fleeces just after interviewing, others several months later, while some havent received one at all. I wrote that it gives the impression that the school values some of its students more than others. (an impression that I got during my interview day as well, especially with minority students) They didnt allow my question to be posted

gomizzou

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
That is lame that they wouldn't allow the question to be posted because it is a valid one. I thought that all of the administrators and staff seemed really nice when I was there, but it does seem like there is some sort of favoritism thing going on.

chopper

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
gomizzou said:
but it does seem like there is some sort of favoritism thing going on.

Sheeeeeesh, enough already with the fleeces. In the big scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal. Of course med schools show 'favoritism' to certain prospects. They do the same thing when handing out merit scholarships.

It's one thing to joke about it with other potential students. Another to make it some huge deal with the admissions office. Mountain, meet molehill. No wonder they wouldn't let you post it.

Let's steer this back to the 2009 UM Thread. Who all will be up there this weekend?

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
chopper said:
Who all will be up there this weekend?
's

I'll be there! I have to miss the festivities on Friday, cuz CU is having their second look on that day, but I'll be there for all of Saturday. Look for the 6'1" blonde gal, that's me! (Probable that I'll be the only 6'+ blonde named Diana)

EllieElle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
chopper said:
Who all will be up there this weekend?

Oh, I'll be there... me and my twenty outfits.

Not to sound completely OCD, but what are you other girls planning on wearing Friday night? A semi-business, semi-casual outfit (that may or may not be our Sunday best) for the reception that can turn into a "going out" outfit?!? I feel like jeans is a little too casual, maybe? Thoughts?

They have such a great weekend planned- it sounds like so much fun!

chopper

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
frantic983 said:
All I am hoping is that I am not "that guy" who gets completely destroyed friday night and is a disaster all day saturday. If history repeats itself, I have a long saturday to look forward to.

Hahahaha I'm passing the torch. I did my duty as 'that guy' on my last second look. This one is all you. :)