\\***University of Michigan Class of 2011***//

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to all of you who've been accepted. I'm an M1 and can honestly say that choosing Michigan Med was the best decision of my life. It's a privilege to attend this institution. I look forward to meeting all of you next weekend. We have a great weekend planned. PM me if you have any questions about Michigan, choosing a med school, etc.

Go Blue!

Members don't see this ad.

So, if I've been waitlisted in the middle tier, and they say it has "historically limited activity", is that it ;_;? Should I give up on U of M?

Congrats to all of you who've been accepted. I'm an M1 and can honestly say that choosing Michigan Med was the best decision of my life. It's a privilege to attend this institution.
Hey rick, care to back up this claim:D ?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, if I've been waitlisted in the middle tier, and they say it has "historically limited activity", is that it ;_;? Should I give up on U of M?

Sorry to hear that mate, but don't give up. Keep sending those LoIs:luck:

things have died down a bit
Based on the general lack of enthusiasm here, I was almost getting worried about your class... :scared:

...Then Welcome and Second Look Weekends came along and I realized that there was no need for concern. There may be an unusually high percentage of people in this thread who will take a little longer to get over the fact that (like most everyone else) they aren't going to get a ****load of money, or maybe even those who end up at another school, but now that I've met a bunch of people from all over who are crazy-excited to be here next year I have pretty high expectations for the UofM class of 2011. :thumbup:

With any luck, you might end up being almost as fun as the class of 2010! :D

Based on the general lack of enthusiasm here, I was almost getting worried about your class... :scared:

...Then Welcome and Second Look Weekends came along and I realized that there was no need for concern.

I second that- second look weekend was amazing. Everyone I talked to was very excited about Michigan, and conversations with people I had never met before felt more like the ones I usually have with old friends. Before second look weekend, I was excited about Michigan. Now, I'm absolutely confident that the next four years of my life will be best spent with the amazing people I'll get to know in the UMMS class of 2011.

Go Blue, and see you all in August!!!

There may be an unusually high percentage of people in this thread who will take a little longer to get over the fact that (like most everyone else) they aren't going to get a ****load of money

SC, I may be acting a little too sensitive, but I'm going to assume this comment is directed at someone like me given my previous post. Don't get it twisted, I may very well have been one of those very enthusiastic people you met at Second Look, who was pumped to be there for the next four years. No one, at least not me, is asking for "a ****load of money". I just doubt any school is worth ~$200K in debt, especially when other equally "prestigious" and amazing schools are giving much better packages. I was, and still am, pumped to attend, but please don't trivialize the importance of the burden of debt as you seem to be doing. You don't know my financial situation, as I don't know yours. I found your comment a little pejorative. Although, if this was not your intention, I apologize...

SC, I may be acting a little too sensitive, but I'm going to assume this comment is directed at someone like me given my previous post. Don't get it twisted, I may very well have been one of those very enthusiastic people you met at Second Look, who was pumped to be there for the next four years. No one, at least not me, is asking for "a ****load of money". I just doubt any school is worth ~$200K in debt, especially when other equally "prestigious" and amazing schools are giving much better packages. I was, and still am, pumped to attend, but please don't trivialize the importance of the burden of debt as you seem to be doing. You don't know my financial situation, as I don't know yours. I found your comment a little pejorative. Although, if this was not your intention, I apologize...
Hey Nemo, Nothing personal at all. It just seems that there has been an uninspiring complaint/enthusiasm ratio here for a while, which I know is not indicative of the incoming class as a whole. I've been biting my tongue (or would that be fingers) on a comment to that effect for a while, so I'm sorry if I came across the wrong way.

And not to trivialize debt, but on the other hand (no matter where we go to med school) we're all going to be physicians when we're done and, family practitioner or cardiac surgeon, we're all going to be in the top 5% income bracket and will be able to payoff whatever debt burden we have and live a comfortable lifestyle too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that $200k is trivial, but a large amount of debt is a fact of life for most at med school (myself included). I'm all for a discussion of debt issues, but not as seemingly a "top 2" discussion topic in what is supposed to be a thread for those who are pumped to be heading to Ann Arbor next year.

I can also attest that, having turned down significantly better fin. aid offers from other places, ending up at a med school where you'll be the happiest is pretty darn important. That sentiment seems to have been missed in many of the the posts here.

Anyway, sorry if you thought I was calling you out personally. That was definitely not my intention. I hope you end up as one of those who arrive enthusiastically in August. Make sure to track me down when you do. I'll spring for a few Oberon and we can drown our shared financial sorrows in some great Michigan beer! :D

SCrazy is one of the nicest guys in our class! He would never intentionally offend. And be sure to take him up on his offer -- he's bought me many a beer at Ashley's or Leopold's :D

And... 2nd look was SO MUCH FUN!!! I got to relive all my fun memories from last year. I hosted one of the dinners and was pleased to meet so many enthusiastic and interesting M0s -- you guys rock :cool:

For posterity: LIVE on Saturday the 5th
m88368666.jpg

The silence is killing me! Everyone know where they're living yet?

I know! Where is everyone?

I found a place on craigslist that is a little further from the med campus than I would like, but it's cute and affordable and I'm moving in in two weeks!

More questions...

Is everyone planning on getting football tickets June 1st? Are the med students able to get seats together?

Also, for the white coat ceremony do they actually send tickets out for the four people we invite? Would it be at all possible to sneak one more person in? Maybe current students could comment on this... Thanks!

^^I don't remember if they check for white coat ceremony tickets, but I had extras so I gave them to another student. You could always ask who doesn't need all 4.

Is everyone planning on getting football tickets June 1st? Are the med students able to get seats together?

You'll get an email describing how you can buy football tickets -- I think last year the email came in the middle of June. It also describes how you can join the m1 seating group so that you can sit together as a class.

DEFN get football tix this year. The UM-Ohio state game is a home game!!!

Any chance delinquent current med students who missed the deadline can still get season tickets? Please say yes...

Any chance delinquent current med students who missed the deadline can still get season tickets? Please say yes...

I'm sure they'll let you.. if for any reason you can't, post a message on the forum here or on the students page. I'm sure someone who wasn't planning on buying tix will let you buy their set.

Yeah one of our classmates started a facebook group, the message board there is more active than this one, at least that is what I have been posting on. I am getting football tickets for sure, GO BLUE!

This is probably not the appropriate place for this request, considering there is an interview lodging thread on the pre-allo forums. However, I could not find any help there, hence, I am posting here.

Any U Mich students willing to host a male med school interviewee?

I am flying from CA for my interview scheduled on Sept 7.
Would greatly appreciate a place to crash on the night of Sept 6.

This is probably not the appropriate place for this request, considering there is an interview lodging thread on the pre-allo forums. However, I could not find any help there, hence, I am posting here.

Any U Mich students willing to host a male med school interviewee?

I am flying from CA for my interview scheduled on Sept 7.
Would greatly appreciate a place to crash on the night of Sept 6.

I could be wrong, but I thought the school organizes student hosts for the interviewees? I think you'll get the information closer to the interview date...