university of michigan meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blowe46

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

do you think a 3.44GPA can get an interview at the university of michigan meds?

Members don't see this ad.

blowe46 said:
Hi

maybe if you pair it with a 38+. But also depends if you're instate or out

thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. do you know any decent schools in small cities that a 3.44 would be competitive?

Members don't see this ad :)
blowe46 said:
thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. do you know any decent schools in small cities that a 3.44 would be competitive?

I didn't mean to discourage. Sorry if I did. If you're in-state, I think a low thirties MCAT might get you an interview. As for schools in small cities... Duke in Durham, Stanford in Palo Alto, Yale in New Haven, UNC in Chapel Hill, UWisconsin in Madison (I think is fairly small), Dartmouth in Hanover (maybe too small), Wake Forest, Brown, URochester. Take a look at those.

A 3.44 is capable of being competitive anywhere. Depends a lot on what else you have going for you. Good luck!

3.6, 33 gets an auto interview for instaters

wow, thanks.

I really liked the University of Michigan program. I thought they had a lot to offer and I liked the city. I don't know much about Yale or Dartmouth but I am sure they are ultra competitve and would throw out my app before they even saw it.

Everybody has a different number for UMich's automatic interview, if it even exists. Ive been told its 3.5+/35+; I qualified for that and I was indeed interviewed.

There is a lot of factors going into whether you get an interview at UMich or not. Ive heard its hard to get into there from my undergrad (Wayne State), as there are only 1-2 per year who do (I was waitlisted :( ). Ive also seen someone on MDapplicants.com with a 30 MCAT from UMich undergrad who got in, and Ive have never in my life heard of someone from my school even being able to be considered for an interview with a 30.

So to answer you 3.44 question, it matters what else is in your profile. I saw someone with a 42 I believe MCAT who did not get an interview, but he had a 2.95 GPA. But those are just numbers, you have to be competitive number wise but you have to have more then just numbers. So yes youd be able to get an interview with a 3.44 GPA if you have a good MCAT and you have other stuff on you CV to back you up (and you write it well on your app!)

gbiz said:
Ive also seen someone on SDN with a 30 MCAT from UMich undergrad who got in, and Ive have never in my life heard of someone from my school even being able to be considered for an interview with a 30.

Never overlook the "Who you know" factor. Coming from a lesser known undergrad as a white male can hamper your chances at some top schools.
But, I was specifically told my admissions that the cutoffs are 33 and 3.6 gpa, however, I am sure a superb MCAT (35+) could make up for certain deficiencies... and vice vera.

Michigan is approximately as competitive as Yale, and much more so than Dartmouth, according to USNews selectivity ranking:
UMichigan: 6
Yale: 7
Dartmouth: 27

well in that case, anyone know anyone who can get me off the waitlist and onto the accepted :) :) :)

I got an interview at Michigan with an average MCAT and a low GPA (lower than the OP). So to answer your question, yes, you have a chance to interview at Michigan with a 3.44. But that whether or not you'll get in is a different question. Just make sure you have amazing/unusual ECs, and submit your secondary before August (trust me, with Michigan, the earlier you submit the better your odds).

gbiz said:
There is a lot of factors going into whether you get an interview at UMich or not. Ive heard its hard to get into there from my undergrad (Wayne State), as there are only 1-2 per year who do (I was waitlisted :( ). Ive also seen someone on SDN with a 30 MCAT from UMich undergrad who got in, and Ive have never in my life heard of someone from my school even being able to be considered for an interview with a 30.

This person is a regular poster on SDN, I think the stats were 3.6ish, 30 from UMich. She also has interviewed at some other high ranked med schools. I assume that she has some great accomplishments outside of her basically average stats.

I got an interview with a ~3.7, 31R, in-state. But was rejected post-interview.

blowe46 said:
Hi

Members don't see this ad :)
So they do actually reject people post-interview? THey told us they did, but someone told me that they waitlist everyone. I was waitlisted, and by the wording of it "applicants are placed on the waitlist after they interview..." made me think she was right, that they waitlist everyone who interviews.

YzIa said:
This person is a regular poster on SDN, I think the stats were 3.6ish, 30 from UMich. She also has interviewed at some other high ranked med schools. I assume that she has some great accomplishments outside of her basically average stats.

Yeh... basically what i was saying is numbers arent everything. There are many factors- such as great ECs. Though rumour mill has it UM has a school bias factored in also, but that just rumours.

there is definitely a bias for umich undergrads cause they know how hard we've worked here. that's DEFINITELY not to say people don't work hard other places. the adcom just isn't as guaranteed that a good gpa from somewhere else is as reliable as a good one from here.

and yeah, i'm the chica with that apparently oh-so-terrible mcat score who still got in. it can definitely happen.

oh, and 3.6/33 are the actual stats that get an instater an automatic interview. i called the admissions office when i was contemplating retaking the mcat to see how much better i'd have to do to get the automatic interview.

blowe46, if you PM me more specifics about yourself, i can help you come up with a good list of schools to apply to. i thoroughly went through the MSAR and researched tons of schools when i applied, and i'd be happy to help you out if you want advice. :)

OK I'll share my sob story,
I was NOT granted an interview but had a 3.5 from Duke in Mechanical Engineering and a 3.8 from Umich grad school (yes I found Umich egr much easier...hard to believe) with a 33R MCAT...oh and the kicker? I'm a Michigan resident...yea not happy

Thank you for giving up your spot, I needed it.

Sincerely,
California Resident with out of state tuition

Scrubz67 said:
OK I'll share my sob story,
I was NOT granted an interview but had a 3.5 from Duke in Mechanical Engineering and a 3.8 from Umich grad school (yes I found Umich egr much easier...hard to believe) with a 33R MCAT...oh and the kicker? I'm a Michigan resident...yea not happy

We can take this highly qualified in state student, or a highly qualified out of state student, which do we choose? Oh yeah, the one with more money!

Sincerely,
The University of Michigan Medical School

AStudent said:
We can take this highly qualified in state student, or a highly qualified out of state student, which do we choose? Oh yeah, the one with more money!

Sincerely,

HAHAAAAA, okay, I like that...this is what I'm gonna tell myself until I'm completely over it. AStudent, enjoy...and occaisionally post negative things about umich so I feel better over the next year or so... ;)

AStudent said:

Sincerely,

since you seem to despise this place so much, you shouldn't care whether or not you got in.

LauraMac said:
and yeah, i'm the chica with that apparently oh-so-terrible mcat score who still got in. it can definitely happen.

if this was in regards to my post...

first off, i dont know if that was you i was referring to. i didnt mean on SDN, i meant on mdapps. I was playing around, looking at UMich stuff and came across a couple.

second off, a 30 isnt a bad score. the one i saw was 10-10-10, very solid.

third, the point wasnt about the score, it was about that the score and gpa are only one part of the whole app. i know nothing about you or your app, so i wasnt meaning to be sounding mean like it may have been taken. i hope i didnt sound mean. :/

gbiz said:
if this was in regards to my post...

first off, i dont know if that was you i was referring to. i didnt mean on SDN, i meant on mdapps. I was playing around, looking at UMich stuff and came across a couple.

second off, a 30 isnt a bad score. the one i saw was 10-10-10, very solid.

third, the point wasnt about the score, it was about that the score and gpa are only one part of the whole app. i know nothing about you or your app, so i wasnt meaning to be sounding mean like it may have been taken. i hope i didnt sound mean. :/

oh, don't worry! i didn't think you were being mean. i know i had a solid mcat. i am just fully aware that my score was a good few points below the average of umich med students and that that can easily piss off someone who scored significantly above the average and still did not get an interview.

I don't think the extra $15K or whatever the difference is between tuitions makes much of a difference to the medical school. They're probably barely breaking even or, more likely, they're probably losing money on students, so I doubt they're doing it for the money. They probably just want to have a nationally diversified class, like the top private schools, so they can compete in reputation with the privates.

AStudent said:

Sincerely,

In fact, UMich accepts ~14% of its in-state applicants and only ~7% of its out-of-state applicants. So it's significantly easier to get in from MI, assuming that applicants from MI are relatively similar to applicants from the country as a whole.

2004 Data:

In State Students: 77
Out of State Students: 93

In State Tuition Collected ($20,338): $1,566,026
Out of State Tuition Collected ($31,338): $2,914,434
Total collected: $4,480,460

So even though out of state student comprise 55% of enrollment, they bring in 65% of all tuition. So what motavation is there for them to take a 3.8 31R in state student versus a 3.8 31R out of state student when they can pick up an extra $11,000 per head?

I find your statement somewhat humorus.

Dr. Donkey said:
I don't think the extra $15K or whatever the difference is between tuitions makes much of a difference to the medical school.

AStudent said:
So what motavation is there for them to take a 3.8 31R in state student versus a 3.8 31R out of state student when they can pick up an extra $11,000 per head?
I can't speak for Michigan in particular, but for most schools supported by state tax dollars, they are required by the state to fill a certain percentage of their classes with in-state candidates.

liverotcod said:
I can't speak for Michigan in particular, but for most schools supported by state tax dollars, they are required by the state to fill a certain percentage of their classes with in-state candidates.

I dont think UMich has a set percent that they must fill- rather increased pressure from state politicians with higher out of state acceptance.

They say their goal is 50/50. 73/90 is kinda close to 50/50.

I find your statement to be crendaculous and azztacular. Michigan does as it pleases because that is its nature. It's not like you or I with feelings and inspirations and such. It is in unceasing agony, and seeks relief unsparingly from any or all forces that will supply it with such. It likes foreigners, is not afraid, xenophobic, preferably without the stale scent of corn on the breath and scare crow hay in the hair. Michigan has to be overlooked, it's greatest attribute is a great polluted lake, swill water SNL. Out-of-state students are bright, reaffirming.

AStudent said:
I find your statement somewhat humorus.

Dr. Donkey said:
I don't think the extra $15K or whatever the difference is between tuitions makes much of a difference to the medical school. They're probably barely breaking even or, more likely, they're probably losing money on students, so I doubt they're doing it for the money. They probably just want to have a nationally diversified class, like the top private schools, so they can compete in reputation with the privates.

agreed! i think the reason they accept so many out of staters is for better diversity. i was just talking with robert about how excited they are about next year's class because there are people from all over the country, including states they haven't had students from in years.

the extra couple hundred thousand they might make admitting more instaters is not very much anyway in the whole scheme of things... at least i don't think it is. i'd guess they get way more from the government than from tuition. does anyone have data on this?

Dr. Donkey said:
I find your statement to be crendaculous and azztacular. Michigan does as it pleases because that is its nature. It's not like you or I with feelings and inspirations and such. It is in unceasing agony, and seeks relief unsparingly from any or all forces that will supply it with such. It likes foreigners, is not afraid, xenophobic, preferably without the stale scent of corn on the breath and scare crow hay in the hair. Michigan has to be overlooked, it's greatest attribute is a great polluted lake, swill water SNL. Out-of-state students are bright, reaffirming.

Oh Dr. Donkey, you're the Dr. Donkiest.

LauraMac said:
agreed! i think the reason they accept so many out of staters is for better diversity. i was just talking with robert about how excited they are about next year's class because there are people from all over the country, including states they haven't had students from in years.

the extra couple hundred thousand they might make admitting more instaters is not very much anyway in the whole scheme of things... at least i don't think it is. i'd guess they get way more from the government than from tuition. does anyone have data on this?

How is Robert these days? It's been quite some time since we last shared tea.

LauraMac said:
oh, don't worry! i didn't think you were being mean. i know i had a solid mcat. i am just fully aware that my score was a good few points below the average of umich med students and that that can easily piss off someone who scored significantly above the average and still did not get an interview.
Look, the important matter is that you got into Michigan. Nobody will give a hoot about what your MCAT score was. What happens in the future depends on what you do from now on. Leave the past stuff in the past.

If you want to work hard, then work hard and you will be rewarded. Or you can be like me and my friends who goofed off in medical school. Whatever...you got into Michigan. That is a big accomplishment. Go Blue!

LauraMac said:

I wonder....how good their diversity will be this year....that's an important factor in choosing a school, at least for me! geographic diversity is important, but so is social, cultural, ethnic, and so on... :thumbup: :)

by the way, UMich is a pseudo private institution, so they have more flexibility in accepting more out-of-staters because a large portion of their endowment comes from private money, so they aren't required to always have 50/50.

MadameLULU said:
yeah...goofed off but still landed a top residency spot at a reputable program?
Yeah, I goofed off in medical school. I worked my ass off in the PhD phase though. And also, pathology is one of the least competitive residencies to get into. I was told by my adviser that Pathology is a buyer's market if you have an MD/PhD. Given the increase in competitiveness in this field during the last two years, I think this is a bit of an oversimplification. However, in the grand scheme of things, pathology still ranks as one of the least competitive residencies. But apparently as I found out, in Pathology, having a good # of publications can make up for crappy med school grades.