University of Michigan MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhinca05

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone-
I just wanted to start a thread to see if anyone has heard back from UMich, and from which specific department. I am wondering how quick there app turn around is, and the average timeline for acceptance/rejection. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I had an abnormally quick turn around from the EPID department (intl health/epidemiology; submitted 11/22, accepted 12/4), but I think they have been making decisions in batches, so you should be hearing back soon!

I also applied for HMP and they invited me to an interview on Jan 14. I'm going March 12!

I was accepted to the Hospital & Molecular Epidemiology program on 2/11. I was verified on 11/26.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was verified on 12/4 and was accepted into intl Epi on 2/11

I went to UMich's admitted students day yesterday if anyone has any questions.

I went to UMich's HMP Visit Day/Interview as well as Admitted Student Day for epi if anyone has any questions

I went to UMich's HMP Visit Day/Interview as well as Admitted Student Day for epi if anyone has any questions
I have so many questions I don't know where to start! First off, what were your first impressions of the campus and of the faculty/staff you encountered? Also, what kind of research/professional opportunities are offered to MPH students?

Last edited:
I have so many questions I don't know where to start! First off, what were your first impressions of the campus and of the faculty/staff you encountered? Also, what kind of research/professional opportunities are offered to MPH students?

Hi there! I hope I can answer some of your questions.

Campus Impressions:
Coming from a medium-sized college, the campus was definitely huge to me. However, I think it's very bike-able and walkeable. Ann Arbor itself is a small town with a city feel. I visited during "good" weather, which was in the 40s and sunny. It did actually feel pretty good, coming from the south! But I don't know how I would be able to handle long winters...

Faculty:
I am very impressed with how much attention the faculty dedicate to students. It seems like students and faculty get a long really well. Most students get involved with faculty research. I had been in touch with a professor before visiting and even though we had agreed to meet at lunch on Admitted Student Day, we sat at opposite tables and didn't have time; however, she emailed me right after lunch and let me know where her office is! I was just really impressed with the attention that professors give to students, even just admitted ones!

It seems like Michigan is very big on academia and research and most students are able to get on research projects on campus. Most students seem to work on campus or on research projects through faculty. I don't think many students work outside of campus, but I'm sure there are a few. The school is definitely campus-oriented, and many students get involved in student organizations.

Hope this helps!

I agree with what the above poster said. The campus is HUGE, but it is really walkable and easy to get around. They have amazing technology resources and areas to study (compared to my small university of about 15,000). Additionally, the town of Ann Arbor was amazing. It definitely has a small town feel.

The faculty seemed so interested in their students and really proud of the university. I was surprised by this. I thought that since their program and school are so large that the faculty would be hard to get any time with. But they were genuinely kind and interested in us.

One thing that really stood out to me at the admitted students day was the amount of out of class opportunities that they offer. There was an employer there who said that when he looks at applications he does look at the school you went to, but more importantly he looks at the experiences you've had out of the classroom. I thought that was pretty awesome to hear, because it seems pretty realistic.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

After seeing my financial aid package (or lack thereof) for Columbia, I think I'm leaning towards Michigan!

What are y'all thinking about for housing? Anyone considering Munger? (was that mentioned at during the Admit days?)

Do you the infrastructure of the school and program is set up that promotes getting to know fellow peers in your cohort?

After seeing my financial aid package (or lack thereof) for Columbia, I think I'm leaning towards Michigan!

What are y'all thinking about for housing? Anyone considering Munger? (was that mentioned at during the Admit days?)

Do you the infrastructure of the school and program is set up that promotes getting to know fellow peers in your cohort?

I don't remember Munger being mentioned during Admitted Students Day, but they talked about Kerrytown and other areas by campus where many grad students live. If I do choose Michigan, I would probably ask my friend who's in Ann Arbor to look for places for me. I stayed with a friend who lived right across the street from the SPH, but it was like undergrad central and the house was not in the best condition. Though location was excellent...

Yes, I do think that the school and program is definitely set up to promote community at Michigan. Although the school is HUGE, the MPH program is pretty small. I have heard that departments are kind of separated from each other and that the HMP dept is very cliquey (not in a bad way, but because they take the same classes together for the first year).

Michigan was probably one of the best decisions of my life. I can answer any questions about the epidemiology department if you have any.

Graduated a few years back. A number of people lived in Kerrytown. You could get something cheaper there than at Munger (which wasn't built yet when I was there). It gets pretty undergrad-y as you move a little closer to the stadium, but if you go past it, it starts to be residential again. I would also avoid anywhere near South University as far as living arrangements go. It's the undergrad bar scene. Behind the medical school was another choice, albeit a slightly less popular one.

Michigan was probably one of the best decisions of my life. I can answer any questions about the epidemiology department if you have any.

Graduated a few years back. A number of people lived in Kerrytown. You could get something cheaper there than at Munger (which wasn't built yet when I was there). It gets pretty undergrad-y as you move a little closer to the stadium, but if you go past it, it starts to be residential again. I would also avoid anywhere near South University as far as living arrangements go. It's the undergrad bar scene. Behind the medical school was another choice, albeit a slightly less popular one.

I am really having trouble picking Michigan or Emory for my MPH in Epi. What made you choose Michigan? I am in the global epi programs for both and my impressions for Michigan is that there's a great student-faculty ratio, classes are on smaller end (Emory has larger class sizes), and very research/academia-focused. Right now, Michigan costs less for me to attend, but I am worried about moving from Atlanta to Ann Arbor (I just moved to Atlanta 6 months ago). I am also worried Michigan won't have as many of the international resources as Emory has, as it seems most connections are in Michigan or the midwest (I could be wrong). Also, what is the weather like other than snow and cold? I will most likely be going abroad in the summer so I won't get to experience Michigan summers :(

My other concern is that Michigan seems to be very campus-oriented and I would like to work outside of the campus if possible (doesn't seem like many students can or have the time). Also, how rigorous is the epi workload? I've heard it's extremely hard from some, and extremely lax from others who have a stronger science/math background. Coming in without a strong science/math background kind of scares me. I guess I am concerned about work/school/social life balance. Also, I'm not sure I am very interested in research, I'm more into the practical applications of epi/public health. Will Michigan offer those opportunities?

Thanks! Sorry for all the questions!

Michigan is a great program and I grew up watching Michigan football as a kid. I saw it as a win-win. Also, I was really interested in molecular epidemiology and the MAC-EPID and HME programs really sold me. UM does have a very research/academia feel to it. And because it has this, the professors do have a lot of contacts that can get you out in the field (internationally) if that's what you want. If you are in the Global Health epidemiology program, I believe you are required to go abroad and they support you with placement and some funding for that (IF I recall this correctly and nothing has changed since 2012). There is also a working relationship with Michigan's department of health and one guy was the state epidemiologist and advises China's CDC. Bottom line, there are a lot of amazing people that you can get in touch with there and your experience is what you make of it.

The weather isn't as bad as people imagine Michigan winters to be. I ended up moving further east and let's just say I am colder here than I was in Ann Arbor.

A good number of people were able to get research jobs on campus. I had one at the University Hospital System. It was more spending money than making a significant dent at defraying the cost. You are there to go to school, so doing well in class should be your main focus. I didn't think the workload was that heavy; most of my effort went into my capstone project.