University of Michigan New Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knock knock

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interviewing at U of M in october and I have a few questions about the new curriculum. Does anyone know if it is currently in use for students who started in august 2003? Also I cant find any updated information on the U of M admissions website about the new curriculum, does anyone know any details that distinguish it from the old, traditional med school curriculum? For example I heard a rumor about a required research thesis. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
K.K.

Members don't see this ad.

You may want to post your message on the Allopathic board.

....and you might want to change your avatar. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the new curriculum is in effect for this year. You are right about the website; most of it still reflects the former curriculum.

What's different from the old curriculum is that a lot of the classes are in different order. For example, most schools have pathology as a second year course. (Actually, I think it's been a first year course for a while at Michigan). Infectious diseases is traditionally a 2nd year course, but the class of 2007 will have it as a first year course.

The administration is basically trying to incorporate a lot of related subjects at the same time. For example, we would learn about cancer from many perspectives at the same time. We studied cancer through pathology, genetics, transduction receptors, and had a multi-session case study in breast cancer, studying ethical and clinical issues.

I think another big change is that we will be finished with the basic sciences a few months earlier. I think we finish either February or March, instead of the traditional May/June. That will give us more time to do clinical electives.

Also, there is this thing called "Family Centered Experience" which is designed to see healthcare from the perspective of patients, and to see that their social environment is an important part of their overall healthcare. I've been through one session of FCE so far and it's been pretty helpful.

About the research thesis, it has been said repeatedly that this is not a big deal. As far as I know, it doesn't even need to be a "research" thesis, but merely a "scholarly work". Whether this means I can write a 15 page poem about being a medical student, I'm not sure about, but in any case, I don't think it will be a big deal. Half of the class usually does research anyway.

That's all I can think of for now.

Originally posted by spumoni620
....and you might want to change your avatar. ;)

Haha I was thinking that too.

one other thing is that it's an integrated, systems-based model now, rather than the traditional subject-and-organ based. i.e. we don't take "biochemistry," "anatomy," "genetics," "pathology," "cell biology," etc classes .... we do these modules ... "musculoskeletal system," for example, where we do the related genetics, anatomy, histology, pathology, biochemistry, etc that are all related to that system. the plan is to make the preclinical years more longitudinal and integrated, rather than broken up into discreet classes. so we'll be doing some anatomy, histology and histopath thruout the entire year, rather than as discreet class blocks. make sense? anyway, i like it better this way and was actively seeking a school w/this type of curriculum, so i'm happy w/the way things are going. :)

and sp is right about the thesis thing ... it's not like a duke thesis, from what i can tell, where they encourage an entire year of research or whatnot. but you do have to do something independent- on your own initiative, seek out something "scholarly," (as sp put it), work on it and write something up about it. that's the most that we know about it, really.

and yeah ditto about the FCE, the longitudinal stuff, and the ending preclinical stuff early to get in some extra electives in the 4th year to better explore the clinical offerings. :)