University of Michigan vs. Emory University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inakaleidoscope

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am coming from working full time in NYC for the last two years, and I've decided against Columbia as I really (really, really) need to get out of New York for awhile, and I do not think that Columbia has the ambiance I would require to be fully satisfied with my grad school program choice. (I'm looking for warm people, trees to read under, and roads to safely bike, namely, haha.) I am originally from the Louisville, KY area, so I have a bit of experience in both Midwestern and Southern living, so I think that I will be relatively equipped to live in either Michigan or Atlanta dependent upon which school I finally decide upon.

I was most considering Michigan over Emory until the last few days as I do feel that I will get more individualized attention if I were to choose to go to Michigan, but I might have to fight to work on projects that fully interest me whereas Emory already caters to that field (reproductive health with a global focus). So, I have a question: to those who currently attend Emory or are planning to in the fall, what did you think about the availability and the warmth of the professors, staff, and students that you met? Will this be an inviting school to attend, or do you think with the sheer number of students it will be possible to get lost in the crowd?

On the other hand, are there any Michigan alumni/current students/prospective students on here? I've not seen much by anyone considering Michigan, and I do not know whether to be concerned about that or not. If so, how do you feel about the University of Michigan and what drew you to it?

Here is my current mental breakdown of the scenario in as few words as possible:

Michigan:
+ smaller program size (Epidemiology/International health program has only around 20 [or fewer] admitees)
+ guaranteed funding for study abroad summer opportunities
+ $10,000 Dean's Award tuition scholarship each year (this is supposed to be a prestigious thing, but I want more, damn it!)
+ cute, small, quaint
+ strong science backbone will be advantageous
- very small town
- the winters. oh goodness, the long winters
- 3+ biostats courses = ahhhh!
- around $55,000 a year total

Emory:
+ warmer weather = biking most of the year!
+ Southern hospitality
+ transitioning from NYC to Atlanta would likely be much easier than to Ann Arbor
+ proximity to a number of highly inticing NGOs and public health governmental organizations
+ cheaper attendance cost (even with the scholarship Emory will be around $10,000 cheaper a year)
+ great course selections, more electives than MI's program
- potentially too warm?
- larger program size
- might potentially want to move from the Global Health program into the Global Epidemiology program, but I am not sure how feasible this will be)
- no scholarship = no one thinks I'm special at Emory :)
- cost of living is cheaper than Ann Arbor and is WAY cheaper than NYC

If anyone has any intial thoughts or opinions about either of these schools, cities, or faculty/opportunities, I would love to hear it!

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

So, I have a question: to those who currently attend Emory or are planning to in the fall, what did you think about the availability and the warmth of the professors, staff, and students that you met? Will this be an inviting school to attend, or do you think with the sheer number of students it will be possible to get lost in the crowd?

Emory:
+ warmer weather = biking most of the year!
+ Southern hospitality
+ transitioning from NYC to Atlanta would likely be much easier than to Ann Arbor
+ proximity to a number of highly inticing NGOs and public health governmental organizations
+ cheaper attendance cost (even with the scholarship Emory will be around $10,000 cheaper a year)
+ great course selections, more electives than MI's program
- potentially too warm?
- larger program size
- might potentially want to move from the Global Health program into the Global Epidemiology program, but I am not sure how feasible this will be)
- no scholarship = no one thinks I'm special at Emory :)
- cost of living is cheaper than Ann Arbor and is WAY cheaper than NYC

If anyone has any intial thoughts or opinions about either of these schools, cities, or faculty/opportunities, I would love to hear it!

Thanks so much!

Hey inakaleidoscope!

I'll be attending Emory in the fall and just had a couple of things that might help.

I'm in Global Health right now but am considering the switch to Global Epidemiology sometime next year as well. I was able to speak to a few students who have made this switch and all said that it was pretty easy...Also, when speaking to a Global Health/Global Epi professor (there are several courses that are cross-listed in GH and Epi, so several of the professors span both disciplines) and talking about my interests he actually suggested that I consider the switch, he said "it's no problem, every year we have Global Health students become GLEPI students and GLEPI students switch to Global Health" - in fact, if you look at the sample first Fall semester for each program you'll find that they are the same except for a 1 hour Epi course that Global Epi kids are supposed to take. I think as long as you make the decision within a reasonable timeframe and have good reasons for wanting to make the switch then it is not too difficult. Global Epi and Global Health are very closely related at Rollins (again with the cross-listed classes) so I think that's why the switch is less daunting than say HPM to Global Health or something like that.

The professors are very warm and approachable, there are also some great repro health projects. If you look at the "Visit Emory - Thoughts" thread, I just made a post about the professors and projects that I saw in that department. I think it's a strong concentration at Rollins! On the size of the school, it didn't seem like people become "numbers" there very often, but I think, just as it would be at most places, you have to make the effort. The professors are there and are accessible, but with a large school like Rollins they aren't going to be looking for you, you have to go to them. But once you're there they are all about helping you as best they can! You seem pretty motivated (from your short post, haha), I think you would find that it feels like a much smaller program than it is when it comes to professor interaction, at least from my experience. This all goes equally for the staff and students!

You also mentioned that Michigan has guaranteed funding for summer abroad programs. Emory's isn't guaranteed, but we were told that most people doing a Global Field Experience are able to receive funding from the school for at least part of their trip. Most of the people I spoke with also received funding from outside sources (they wrote a grant or the project they worked on had some funding). It seems like the majority of people don't have to put out much cash for their trip and there are always opportunities for funding for them if you are willing to look for it (and you could get some more grant writing skills which never looks bad on a resume)!

You have "cheaper than Ann Arbor and much cheaper than NYC" as a negative on your list for Emory, I'm thinking that's a mistake :)

It is very hot in Atlanta in the summer, but I don't think it would be much worse than KY (I'm from TN) depending on what part you are from. Plus, in this day and age we are never very far from air conditioning right?

I know that UMich is a great school, but I didn't really look too deep into it because they didn't have much of what I needed, so I can't really help with a comparison. But I thought that some of that stuff about your reservations about Emory might help.

About MI though, I can say that I just returned from the Peace Corps where I married another volunteer from Michigan, we are living there (I've never been before) and the winter is terrible, but it's "Spring" that is the worst. It's 30 degrees outside right now (to be fair it's been up to like 50 in the last week)! WHAT? I went to Visit Emory in March and it was 77 two days I was there and in the upper 60's the other days. Perfect for bike riding :). Of course I've heard that when it warms up it is gorgeous here in Michigan, but it's only warm for like 2 months! Haha :)

Joking aside, I don't think that you would be making a bad choice with either of these schools. I'm totally biased toward Emory, but you should definitely make the choice that's best for you! Good luck!

Hi kaleidoscope,

I will be enrolling in U of M in the fall for Health Management and Policy. I did also get in to Emory, and was considering Emory, along with other schools. I went to school (not for an MPH) at Emory, and my wife as well as many of my friends went to Emory for their MPH. I would not dispute anything Awapi has been saying about Emory. It's a tremendous school.

If Emory offered me some financial assistance, i would strongly consider it over U of M, simply because I have many close friends who can personally attest to the quality of Emory's reputation and faculty. However, I am from Michigan (thus will get in-state tuition) and am also getting an almost full scholarship. Therefore, it comes down to finances for me.

But Emory is a great school--if finance are a concern for you, you really cannot go wrong with it.