University of Michigan vs Indiana University (IS) vs Rutgers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school?

• Indiana

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Michigan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rutgers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

browniesundae17

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm thrilled with my acceptances from this cycle, however, I'm torn between my schools and am really struggling to make a decision. Keep in mind I do not want to specialize and clinical experience is a huge factor for me--I do not want to feel the need to do a GPR/AEGD after graduating. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Indiana University (in-state)
  • In-state tuition
  • Will know the area and classmates coming in
  • I think I would do well academically here
  • Unsure about the clinical experiences here
  • Have not heard great things about the administration
University of Michigan
  • Offered a scholarship that brings total cost down to their in-state cost, but slightly more expensive than Indiana ~$50K
  • I feel that I may struggle academically considering that everyone is highly academically qualified--but I don't want to specialize...
  • I would love to go OOS because I've been in Indiana my entire life
  • Also unsure about clinical experiences here
  • Prestigious program and school
Rutgers
  • Most expensive of the three
  • I like the proximity to the city--I'd be close to a lot of my friends and family
  • Was very impressed with the faculty, students, facilities, etc. when I interviewed
  • Heard that they are strong clinically

I know I will get a few "choose the cheapest program" replies, and cost is a factor, but one I am willing to be more flexible with considering if a program offers a lot more than another.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! I'm thrilled with my acceptances from this cycle, however, I'm torn between my schools and am really struggling to make a decision. Keep in mind I do not want to specialize and clinical experience is a huge factor for me--I do not want to feel the need to do a GPR/AEGD after graduating. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Indiana University (in-state)
  • In-state tuition
  • Will know the area and classmates coming in
  • I think I would do well academically here
  • Unsure about the clinical experiences here
  • Have not heard great things about the administration
University of Michigan
  • Offered a scholarship that brings total cost down to their in-state cost, but slightly more expensive than Indiana ~$50K
  • I feel that I may struggle academically considering that everyone is highly academically qualified--but I don't want to specialize...
  • I would love to go OOS because I've been in Indiana my entire life
  • Also unsure about clinical experiences here
  • Prestigious program and school
Rutgers
  • Most expensive of the three
  • I like the proximity to the city--I'd be close to a lot of my friends and family
  • Was very impressed with the faculty, students, facilities, etc. when I interviewed
  • Heard that they are strong clinically

I know I will get a few "choose the cheapest program" replies, and cost is a factor, but one I am willing to be more flexible with considering if a program offers a lot more than another.
cheapest

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Indiana seems like a great school. The grass isn’t greener elsewhere.

Even though Newark is close to NYC. You’re not going to have much time to go to the city often. “Strong clinically” = “high requirements”, and trust me, trust me, trust me, struggling to attain high requirements will have you ripping your hair out. It was THE WORST part of school. I know “strong clinically” sounds good now. But trust me, it is a curse.

You’re not going to learn much in dental school. Get in, get through, get out. Pay as little as possible for it. Don’t get kicked out. Simple as that. Indiana sounds good for you.

Reactions: 1 users