Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

University of Michigan vs. Midwestern CPG

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by sleazye, May 16, 2007.

1. sleazye

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I found out today that I've been accepted into U of M but I had been planning until now to go to Midwestern CPG. Not really sure what to do. Will there be any significant difference in the quality of education or opportunities presented to me? I really hate living in michigan but would consider staying for a better quality education. If anyone could comment on this I would appreciate it, thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. brasilia01

Pharmacist
    Go to University of Michigan. If its a state school than its cheaper. You'll only have to live there for 4 years and then you can leave. Plus I want to get into Midwestern CPG from the waitlist, so go to University of Michigan.

4. evilolive

evilolive Member

Pharmacy Student
    The quality of education at Michigan will be much higher; the entering class has 65 students, which will make it very intimate!

5. nightcrawleRx

Pharmacist
    Not to be a jerk...but how do you know??? I mean I have no ties to either Michigan or Midwestern but that's a pretty bold comment. Unless you have evidence besides, Michigan is "ranked" high, then how could you say that? I don't know much about either, even though I do know Michigan is a well respected public institution but who is to say it will make a better pharmacist???

6. evilolive

evilolive Member

Pharmacy Student
    Smaller class sizes, wide breadth of academic focus, and resources of a large research institution provide one with a world-class education (not to mention a major teaching hospital at one's fingertips).

7. fmbzp5

Pharmacist

The rotational thing is a huge difference. Midwestern has a limited amount of sites for a class double the size compared to 65 people around 450 locations with preceptors.

Midwestern has the problem of competing with the U. of Arizona for placing its' students. for example the VA won't take midwestern students but just UA (this is being told to me by a person that did a rotation there so I can't verify it but believe it)

8. evilolive

evilolive Member

Pharmacy Student
    I also believe that Midwestern also has to pay for its rotation sites.

9. fmbzp5

Pharmacist

I can not speak for other universities but yes Midwestern does pay to send its' students out on rotations.

One beef with midwestern I feel a lot of people have starts with the admissions process. a lot of people on here call and ask questions and end up getting so many different answers, no one knows the honest truth. There admissions office is extremely small. It can't be hard to get the handful of employees all on the same page.

10. catchinsomerays

it is true about what has been said about the rotations at CPG...etc..an another quote unquote "neg" about CPG is that a couple of years ago the dean of the college "retired" i.e. fired b/c of alleged sexual wrongdoings or something of that sort, but nevertheless it wasnt good....so they have this new dean lin who has been trying to repair the program's professional credibility within the community and pharmacy community...in addition they have brought in several other administrators and professors from their sister college CCP in order to shore up the cirriculum, repututation, and etc....but overall i would feel that michigan would have many more resources available to its students, b/c it has been around longer and it is a large state institution......

11. crossyouup

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey when did you get into MI? I'm still on their waitlist and they said by the end of May they will have made all their offers. I would say go MI, but if you went to Midwestern I wouldn't mind cuz that's just one more spot up on waitlist for me :D

12. sleazye

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I got an email from Asst Dean Perry yesterday afternoon telling me I got in. I may not be able to go though because I need immunology or medical micro and can't find anyone that offers it that hasn't started already. :(

13. jlpolla

jlpolla Member

Pharmacist
    I don't know if you would even want to do this but my alma mater offers a summer immunology (BIOL 486) course from June 4-July 12. You could look into it www.stcloudstate.edu/summer/

BTW, this is in St. Cloud, Minnesota. I guess you could move here for a month if your desparate, I am sure you would have no problem finding a cheap place to sublease, I may even be able to help you out there since I know a few people there since I graduated in 2006.

14. sleazye

Hey i really appreciate the offer but I found a way to do it here. Now I just need to decide.

15. rxriter

rxriter New Member

Pre-Medical
    MI please.... b/c 1) reputation 2) u r from MI and 3) me on CPG waitlist,,, :)
    no no.. do whtever is best for you...
    good luck...

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. fmbzp5

Pharmacist
    I think it is funny how the advice people are giving is based on their own wishes to get off the waitlist.

18. brasilia01

Pharmacist
    Well I think its funny that people decide what school to go to based on others opinions. Why ask? I'll give my opinion, skewed in my favor.

19. crossyouup

sleazye, I think you should go where ever you think fits you best. UM will be a small class, they basically have 2 classrooms for the pharmacy school in which you will take all your classes in. Also, at UM you will be doing considerably more projects compared to other pharmacy schools. You'll have your PharmD investigation, basically you do your own research and submit a formal scientific paper and you can't graduate until you complete that. I can't comment much about midwestern, but I'm sure it's more of the just lecture/exams style when compared to UM.

I live 15 mins away from the pharmacy school at UM. I am on the waitlist for UM and would go there right away if accepted, it's the only place I applied and if I don't get accepted this year I'll apply again.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

20. rxriter

rxriter New Member

Pre-Medical
    it was just a joke... but seriously.. if i were him... I would definitely go there... I applied there but they dont want me... It wud have been a dream come true.. b/c not to mention the reputation.. and not many schools offer joint program (Pharm.D & Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences)...
    In my eyes thats the best combination it can ever get... and i may be rong... but there r only other 2 schools that offer that type of joint program...

"The Joint Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Pharmaceutical Sciences program allows students to begin working toward the Doctor of Philosophy degree in pharmaceutical sciences before they have completed the Doctor of Pharmacy degree. At completion of the program, students have earned the Pharm.D. degree, making them eligible for state licensure as pharmacists, and the Ph.D. Degree in pharmaceutical sciences. A major advantage of the joint program is that, by combining some degree requirements, it reduces the time normally required to complete the two degrees sequentially. Students enrolled in the Pharm.D. program are eligible to be considered for admission to the joint program."

straight from their website.... (I read that when i was in Grade 12 and wanted to go there ever since... No JOKE)

21. crossyouup

rxriter are you on the waitlist? or did you just get rejected?

22. fmbzp5

Pharmacist

I know people are joking. On the one hand I know people want to get in (like yourself) but I also know you weren't trying to be mean about it don't worry.

Actually that is why I decided on Michigan after being accepted. I am into the research gig and the ability to do both degrees was the selling point. Of course I'll be in school forever but that's life :)

Good luck to you still getting off the waitlist for Midwestern, from the posts it is very obvious you really want it :)

23. rxriter

rxriter New Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks.. i hope they see it the way you do!!!

24. brasilia01

Pharmacist
    No guys I know it was a joke as well. I just said that I thought it was funny that people are deciding on schools based on others opinion is funny. I agree with you guys though. If I got into U of Michigan I would go there too. Like I said though if anyone does want my opinion, thats fine, but it will be skewed in my favor of course :D ! I know you were joking about it. I wasn't getting offended by the comment. And you're right it is funny!:D :D :D :) :D :laugh:

25. UMichFinn

Pre-Pharmacy
    I vote U of M too. Not only based on quality of education, but it will save you a buttload of money to stay in state.

Good luck finding a micro class!