University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossyouup

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need opinions. I applied to ONLY Michigan and I turned in my application the very last day it was due. I will have a bachelors degree in biochemistry, and have 2 summers of volunteer experience at a pharmacy. I took the january pcat, it was my first time. I studied for 2 weeks over christmas break. I have a 3.4 gpa with 2 Cs in orgos. I really want to go to michigan. Do I basically have no hope?

Members don't see this ad.

not at all. there have been people with posts on here with GPAs lower than yours (around 3.1 on average) that have been accepted. I guess to compare on the PCAT you'd need your score. I applied there myself but have no idea yet. Last week I received a letter in the mail saying I was missing all of my documents. In a panic I emailed the pharmacy school and they told me everything was in, but the undergraduate admissions office is way behind so that is why I received the letter. They also said it would be two to three weeks before I heard either way. I am hoping for the best and you should too. :)

You have a chance.......if your a Michigan resident. Its going to be a lot harder to get in if your non-resident.

I'm a Michigan resident, and I applied about 2 weeks ago. I've already been accepted to Wayne State however, and I sent my $500 deposit in there. I'll debate whether or not $500 is really worth it to me if Michigan accepts me.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
They do take a fairly large amount of their class from out of state 35%-40% something like that.

I've been accepted to Umich already and I'm still amazed that I gotten in. Being from the midwest, Umich has a great reputation. Considering their supplemental application for pharmacy is quite brief, you really have to sell yourself through your personal statement and have strong letters of rec. It seems they do look at the overall package of the applicant. Dean Perry also extremely nice and helpful during the application process so don't be afraid to email her about your concerns.

It seems that everyone accepted there so far on the forum has been out of state, so don't let that dissuade you

I've been accepted to Umich already and I'm still amazed that I gotten in. Being from the midwest, Umich has a great reputation. Considering their supplemental application for pharmacy is quite brief, you really have to sell yourself through your personal statement and have strong letters of rec. It seems they do look at the overall package of the applicant. Dean Perry also extremely nice and helpful during the application process so don't be afraid to email her about your concerns.

It seems that everyone accepted there so far on the forum has been out of state, so don't let that dissuade you

First your screen name is hillarious and makes me think of some lunch time topic today at work that didn't seem to fit well while eating.

Anyway I got home today from work and checked the mail. There it was, University of Michigan pharmacy on an envelop that was extremely thin. How depressing. It was for my fiancee which is also applying with me to colleges this year. But to my happy surprise it was an invitation for interivew. I know people have been saying they didn't have to interview and I was wondering if it had to do with something along the lines of being right there to be accepted but one variable needed to be cleared up (i.e. a great PCAT except one section on the test)

Basically has anyone done the interview there and if so what was it like? In a way this is one of my first choices for school for I am considering the research aspect and maybe continued education after pharmacy.

You sound a lot like me! I also applied only to Michigan, have mostly volunteer experience, and took the January PCAT for the first time. It's really hard to predict these things, but I don't think you should give up based on grades - as I recall, the average GPA of accepted (or enrolling?) pharmacy students at Michigan is a 3.4, so you're right on par. Personally, I'm a little worried about my PCAT scores, but if you did well on those I bet you have a good chance.

Upon further review of the literature received from the college, last year they took someone with a 2.6 GPA!! that was the low end up to 4.0 so don't give up!

Thanks to everyone for the input. I guess I should have given out some more information. I actually have a 3.45ish, my biology gpa is really high, however, I just have 2 Cs in chemistry classes as I already mentioned, other than that I think my grades are descent. I'm also worried about the PCAT, I'm pretty confident that I got above 70th percentile overall (hopefully), but above 70th percentile in every section like Michigan wants...I don't think I pulled that off. I do have volunteer experience at Michigan hospital and nursing home experience. I'm also not interested in retail pharmacy, I like the clinical aspect of it. I'm still in the process of sending my transcripts and letters of recs to Michigan.

Snapdragon, where did you do your undergraduate work? I'm a Michigan resident.

And Greyfox2002, Wayne state is a great school and has a very good program. Michigan is a little bit different, they are more research oriented and you will have to do things like the Pharm. D project ( a research project). So depending on what your goals are, you may or may not want to consider Michigan over Wayne. I have friends in both, and Michigan students have a lot more projects.

:eek:
Thanks to everyone for the input. I guess I should have given out some more information. I actually have a 3.45ish, my biology gpa is really high, however, I just have 2 Cs in chemistry classes as I already mentioned, other than that I think my grades are descent. I'm also worried about the PCAT, I'm pretty confident that I got above 70th percentile overall (hopefully), but above 70th percentile in every section like Michigan wants...I don't think I pulled that off. I do have volunteer experience at Michigan hospital and nursing home experience. I'm also not interested in retail pharmacy, I like the clinical aspect of it. I'm still in the process of sending my transcripts and letters of recs to Michigan.

And Greyfox2002, Wayne state is a great school and has a very good program. Michigan is a little bit different, they are more research oriented and you will have to do things like the Pharm. D project ( a research project). So depending on what your goals are, you may or may not want to consider Michigan over Wayne. I have friends in both, and Michigan students have a lot more projects.

I did not realize their program is more research oriented. Now you made me even more nervous about my application to there

Here's some positive news for you Michigan applicants....I was accepted in mid-December but am not going to attend, so there will be another spot open for you!!

when you decline, please tell them to put me into your spot :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I need opinions. I applied to ONLY Michigan and I turned in my application the very last day it was due. I will have a bachelors degree in biochemistry, and have 2 summers of volunteer experience at a pharmacy. I took the january pcat, it was my first time. I studied for 2 weeks over christmas break. I have a 3.4 gpa with 2 Cs in orgos. I really want to go to michigan. Do I basically have no hope?

You definitely have hope. I've been accepted there and my GPA is only a 3.18 (with a 95% PCAT, though). As long as your PCAT is up to snuff, you'll be just fine. Plus, you have a bachelors and experience in a pharmacy--you'll definitely be a desirable candidate :luck:

Which is precisely why I think I'll go to Wayne State. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I've heard from several people that have done rotations with U of M PharmD's at hospitals (whether they be med students or pharm students), and the Wayne students made the Michigan students look pretty bad.

Wayne State's clinical program is superb, and they provide great opportunities for specialized residencies in clinical pharm as well as fellowships. Michigan is definately the better school for research, but Wayne still has research opportunities and a possible PharmD/PhD dual degree.

!??? Tell me more as to why Michigan is deficient please! There are no other source of this anywhere else!

!??? Tell me more as to why Michigan is deficient please! There are no other source of this anywhere else!

That's one persons opinion, and hearsay to boot. Michigan has one of the top programs in the country, and you are going to be able to do whatever you want when you finish. Remember, "not all PharmD. degrees are equal." I took that with a grain of salt-you get what you put in wherever you go. They seem to more focused on specialized practice and less on community practice. In my opinion, if you want to talk with someone about the program it would be an out-of-state 4th year student about to graduate. As far as the comment about the Wayne student making the UM student looking silly, come on now, it's not a competition-we're on the same side, you know?

If you want to specialize in pharmacy practice, you are going to increase your chances if you attend a school that has a good name (so when you get that position it can make you look like a big wig) and has big names, who are able to make a call to the person who would be hiring you.

Of course, but there aren't any other indications of it anywhere else. Gotta be sure :)

Hey, I'm not trying to degrade U of M. I'm a Michigan alumni. I bleed Maize and Blue more than anyone else. There are just strengths and weaknesses of every program. Michigan gets a plethora of endowment for research, so they are definately the place to go for that.

Hey, I'm not trying to degrade U of M. I'm a Michigan alumni. I bleed Maize and Blue more than anyone else. There are just strengths and weaknesses of every program. Michigan gets a plethora of endowment for research, so they are definately the place to go for that.

Ok, good, 'cause that's where I'm headed if UCSF doesn't want me :oops:

fmbzp-Congrats on getting an interview! I knew someone who had interviewed there last year...he was an average stat applicant but Umich gave him a chance by interviewing him and unfortunately he didn't get in. I guess they were looking for something special/unique and plus he just wanted to go into retail pharm, so Umich won't fit him that well. SO Definitely emphasize why Umich is the school for you and your interest in research and good luck!!

To the rest of Umich acceptees, I'm happy to see that others are going to pharmacy school for a research aspect. Whenever I tell people what I want to do with my PharmD, they give me really confused looks.

fmbzp-Congrats on getting an interview! I knew someone who had interviewed there last year...he was an average stat applicant but Umich gave him a chance by interviewing him and unfortunately he didn't get in. I guess they were looking for something special/unique and plus he just wanted to go into retail pharm, so Umich won't fit him that well. SO Definitely emphasize why Umich is the school for you and your interest in research and good luck!!

To the rest of Umich acceptees, I'm happy to see that others are going to pharmacy school for a research aspect. Whenever I tell people what I want to do with my PharmD, they give me really confused looks.

Why thank you even if the story of a friend was a negative outcome. Ya it is hard to explain to my family that I love research and I really enjoy working with people so it makes a better fit than my current job in a lab doing microbiology. you are probably the first person I have seen that has a similar interest. It is nice though to know there is a lot less competition out there for a more specialized segment of the field.

Are you a current student or in the process of applying also? Best wishes to you either way :)

ok ignore the question about applying I am having one of those days and just read up higher to figure it out.

crossyouup, I'm at Virginia Tech. :) I suppose we'll be finding out around the same time, depending on whenever those PCAT scores arrive.

i just want to say, wayne state is the hotspot. :)
definately the place to be

plus i heard wayne state has the highest % of students passing the NAPLEX with above average scores in the state of Michigan (competing against Umich and Ferris)

...and as its already been stated many of the "top rated" pharm schools are primarily based on research awards and grants, which is why Umich is in the top 7 or 8 and wayne state is in the 30's. WSU focuses on patient care and service, so I am guessing if you're not going into research, WSU would be a much better choice than Umich.

:)

plus i heard wayne state has the highest % of students passing the NAPLEX with above average scores in the state of Michigan (competing against Umich and Ferris)

:)

I wouldn't read too much into this. When compared to Ferris and Wayne State a high percentage of U of M students are from out of state and with U of M's reputation and Michigan's economy, I imagine many leave to find good jobs in other states. So a large percentage of U of M's students may not even attempt to get registered in Michigan which skews the stat.

I wouldn't read too much into this. When compared to Ferris and Wayne State a high percentage of U of M students are from out of state and with U of M's reputation and Michigan's economy, I imagine many leave to find good jobs in other states. So a large percentage of U of M's students may not even attempt to get registered in Michigan which skews the stat.

Good observation. The whole comparison is annoying and people should be choosing based on their own personal goals. As a researcher I applied to Michigan based on what I want to do but not going to knock on other schools (well maybe albany because of what I have heard about their program)